Periodic Resets For Maintenance?

• I've read countless problem reports where the solution was some type of system reset, after which the world was all rosy. Well, does it make sense to do a backup then reset your system at regular intervals as preventive maintenance? Comments?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Isn't the backup preventive enough?
    When you stumble across an issue you do your resets and then restore. Why go into all this trouble for nothing?

Well, I put this out for discussion to get the viewpoints of others. I could be wrong, but to me creating backups is to recover from a failure. To my mind, preventive maintenance is to avoid a failure in the first place. My thoughts on this were that it might be better to do the reset and restore at a time convenient to me, rather than wait for a failure to occur, which might be at the most inopportune time ...

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Sure, but within 5 months of it being brand new? On something that's not doing a great deal of file management/writing and who's memory is purged each time you switch it off?

That seems more likely the result of bugs than things like fragmentation. Other modelers don't require quite such frequent "formats", and nor do real computers that have extremely heavy daily use (I usually get at least a whole year on my machine, sometimes two or three between requiring a format, which is the equivalent of reset to factory state).