Do you mess with volume before giving up on a profile?

• If you’re auditioning profiles on Rig Exchange,, do you try out many different volumes?

Was about to delete some higher gain profiles that were too harsh, but decided to turn them down to bedroomish volume and they sounded killer. It’s clear they were Eq’d for low volume play.

If you come across this scenario, do you use the amp volume control to compensate and level it with the volume of your other profiles?

for those folks making and selling profiles, how do they go about finding a middle ground for bedroom and gigging players? I believe MBritt Eq’s for gig volumes because his profiles don’t appeal to me until they are stage volume. At which point they pick ass. Same with the new Tone Junkies Purple Plexi pack, you need to move some air to get the most out em.

Thoughts?

• I believe MBritt Eq’s for gig volumes because his profiles don’t appeal to me until they are stage volume. At which point they pick ass.

This! And I have to admit that I am not very interested in the bedroom volume quality of profiles but in the qualities profiles have for live use or recording. If I want to use them at bedroom volume with a bit of different character I just tweak them a bit to my needs then.

So for your initial question: Often I do this at low volume but try to leverage my experience on the character of profiles how they will sound at "real volume" for my needs. Mostly that works well. Definitely final selection is done then at gig volume in the rehearsal room in best case together with other instruments in order to see how profiles behave in the mix.

Different story for practicing on your own at bedroom volume though 8)

• No, but I should. Its a great point and I've not been systematic enough in doing this. Its not just volume but band context.

Last rehearsal, I realised my rhythm sound was too thick and mushy. Great on its own but gets lost in the band. So gonna drop the gain down a bit to clean it up...I need to do more of this at volume!

• Well in this case volume affects EQ which is what you adjust for band context as well. But I hear ya.

I think I might start creating 2 versions of patches in these cases, at least for my top 5 most used.