Resonance when used with Fryette Power Station and cab

• Howdy!

I 'm coming back to Kemper after owning the FM3 for awhile. I recently picked up a Stage and plan to use it with the Power station and a Bogner 2x12 cab. I know when using Fryette with the Fractal, the resonance settings had to be adjusted in the amp block because the Fryette, although a neutral amp, still created it's own resonance reaction due to being a tube amp, thus creating exaggerated lows and highs. I was wondering if this will be the case with the Kemper when using direct/merged profiles. Does anyone know if using the Fryette will cause a "double resonance" effect? Can the resonance settings in the direct/merged amp profile be adjusted? Or should I just move to a SS power amp?

• Funny...I came here to post something similar on what I'm doing with my Kemper when I connect it to a direct or merged profile through my Power Station and 2x12 cab. I don't think the Kemper has the equivalent resonance setting like the AxeFX does.

What I've decided to do, and I think it does sound a little better (or my brain thinks so!), is I just make sure take out the Power Amp & Compression settings in my profiles (in the Amplifier pages), if not already at 0. A lot of the profiles from the commercial guys have those typically between 1-3. I think they do help when you're going with a studio profile or going amp cab when the amp is SS, but they kind of disconnect and soften things a bit when going to the Power Station.

I do play around with the clarity just a little bit as a tool to help take out the sizzle and distortion a touch on a profile...if that's my intent. That seems to work on Studio or Direct profiles. One I haven't played with is the Tube Shape. I've used that on studio profiles to mimic NMV power amp driven sounds. Most profilers leave it at the default of 3.3. I've moved it up to 5.5 for NMV plexis and the like. I haven't tried it though on direct profiles with an amp/cab.

For me personally, I don't know that I'd replace my Power Station with a standalone SS amp. If I were starting out from scratch and I wanted to follow what Kemper notes as the ideal, then I'd probably have gone with a powered Kemper head and make it even more convenient. The Power Station sounds fabulous (I've also used a SS amp in the past...it didn't sound any better or worse for that matter) and it's a great tool if you want to still use a real, loud tube amp to help curb and shape it.

• Thanks for the reply! I'll give these settings a try and see what I come up with. Guess it's going to take some trial and error to find what works best. Was just thinking more users had experimented, given how popular the power station once was

• Thanks for the reply! I'll give these settings a try and see what I come up with. Guess it's going to take some trial and error to find what works best. Was just thinking more users had experimented, given how popular the power station once was

Let me know where you land.

If you like Marshall sounds, the revised V2 68 Purple Plexi from Tone Junkie sounds absolutely fabulous through my Power Station and my 2x12 Port City with 25W Greenbacks. He's got a channel and a jumped version profiled for Direct. Sounds pretty amazing and with the Depth and Presence, you can adjust it up at lower volumes to get a fuller sound.

• If you like Marshall sounds, the revised V2 68 Purple Plexi from Tone Junkie sounds absolutely fabulous through my Power Station and my 2x12 Port City with 25W Greenbacks. He's got a channel and a jumped version profiled for Direct. Sounds pretty amazing and with the Depth and Presence, you can adjust it up at lower volumes to get a fuller sound.

I was playing with some of those last night through my studio monitors and they sounded great. The original V1 pack was one of the most underwhelming profile packs I have ever tried but the V2 version is a whole different animal and it roars.

• I’m using an old QSC RMF 850 SS amp and Friedman 2X12 with V30s now profiles sound pretty good. I might pick up an older Peavey 50/50 stereo tube power amp because one day I’m going to want to mess with stereo. Anyway, has anyone used the peavey before. If so, how did you like it.

• Thanks, but I'm playing through a guitar cab so I'm not worried about how authentic it will be. I just want to tweak the tone to my preference and I think that I'll prefer a tube power amp.