my opinion - how to get better profiles

• Ok, I like how my profiles are sounding now. Some people like em too. Some people don't. If you don't, save yourself some time, go read another thread. I won't take it personally, all this is really like preferring a color over another. If you like how my profiles sound, read on.

I don't like most profiles put up on the exchange - I HATE the nasal phasey sound that SM57s have especially. Most profiles to my ears have this washy thing going on. Here's how I minimized that on my profiles. BTW, I probably prefer my profiles because I'm dialling in the amp how I like, using a mic set up how I like, etc... it's no wonder I like what I profile. I am going to bet most people are the same way - they like the way they set up their amps/mikes for the Kemper.

1) Buy a MXL144 mic from guitar center. $99. It's a ribbon, and is a tiny bit dark compared to an SM57. I think it is much more 'in the room' sounding though than an SM57. Again, my opinion only.

2) Buy a TubeMP ART or equivalent preamp. No, it's not a Great River or anything like that, but you can make up gain easily with one, and it supports using mics that need 48v. Got mine on sale at GC for $29. A good mic cable is that much!

3) play around with mic placement. I like going center up and down and then to the left about 2-3" from center, and at least 2" back, not right on the speaker grill. Starting from there, you can move the mic around to taste.

4) remember if you're dealing with a modern amp like a mesa or VHT, the tone is in the preamp, not in cranking the power amp. So don't have the amp at earth shattering levels, you'll just get errors on the kemper because of all the noise. ;)

5) If at all possible, have the amp you're profiling in another room so you can only hear the miked sound off the kemper. Headphones are great for this if you don't have a lot of space. If you can't get a tone you like in the Kemper before profiling, you're making your life really hard. Garbage in - garbage out.

6) If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears, not star ratings or the fact that someone used super amazing gear to capture a super amazing amp. Again, just go with what you hear, not what you read. Our first instinct is to try to like something that is more expensive/rare, it's just human nature.

BTW, I'm not an audio producer or engineer or anything like that. Just gigged for 25 years and know what *I* like. If others dig it, cool! If not, cool! I was going to go into a friend's studio and do 'pro' profiles of some of my amps. May still do it, but I'm damned happy with what I get now. To compare, look for a profile of a splawn that I did - should be a much older one and a newer one. Difference was mic placement and type - an SM57 vs the Ribbon. I think the later profile with the ribbon sounds a LOT better.

Pete

• 4) remember if you're dealing with a modern amp like a mesa or VHT, the tone is in the preamp, not in cranking the power amp. So don't have the amp at earth shattering levels, you'll just get errors on the kemper because of all the noise. ;)

Absolutely. I notced this myself when profiling. Will look into the mics you recommended :thumbup:

• 6) If it sounds good, it is good! Trust your ears, not star ratings or the fact that someone used super amazing gear to capture a super amazing amp. Again, just go with what you hear, not what you read. Our first instinct is to try to like something that is more expensive/rare, it's just human nature.

+1 :thumbup:

• I don't like most profiles put up on the exchange - I HATE the nasal phasey sound that SM57s have especially.

Pete

Completely agree- The 57 is great, but it's used a lot because it has high SPL and it's cheap. It's been the go-to for guitar recordings for years.

however, I think we have too many profiles with the 57. I used a Shure SM7b for my last profile and liked it a whole lot.
    great post! Mic placement and trusting your ears is KEY.

moving the mic .5 centimeters can completely change the sound from ass to rock

• The SM57 is very special in its frequency curve. While there is a boost in the upper mids, it lacks the hi and low end. This makes it a good compensation for scooped tones to archieve a little more "mix-friendlx" tone. However, using it as a single mic has never really worked for me. I dont know why, since many others get great results from it. Perhaps it´s just the way i dial in tones... In combination with a condenser it is quite nice though.

• The e906 sounds great for profiling, too. But it's all subjective.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• The e906 sounds great for profiling, too. But it's all subjective.

Yup, totally subjective. I think SM57s are popular because people use them live a lot - they are tough, cheap and they are an industry standard. I have an e609 silver, not a huge fan of it alone, sounds good with an SM57 though.

If I was still using a miked amp live, I'd be tempted to use a ribbon but they aren't as robust as SM57s and the pattern is a figure 8, so it would grab the cab sound and everything in front of it too. But in a studio environment I love em.

Pete