Amp direct out + Cab Sim = Can Kemper work with that?

• Hey guys,

I need you to help me wrap my head around a concept.

Even if I love my Kemper I think I'll get a real amp, too, again. It's my haptic character, I suppose.

To play that amp at home I'm gonna buy a Freyette PS2. I know some people use the direct out of the Freyette to connect the real amp with the DAW and then somehow they use speaker IRs to record. While I was wondering how one even loads a speaker IR into a DAW, I was also wondering - can't the Kemper help in that combination, too?

Could I connect the Freyette to the real amp, use it as a load and then connect it to the Kemper? I assume I'd turn the amp section of the Kemper off and only use the cab section. Would that work??? Could I in this case plug my headphones into the Kemper and listen to, say, a 100w Marshall head?

And even more, could I even make direct profiles this way, without using a microphone? Just connect the direct out of the Freyette and plug it into the Kemper?

I mean, that concept would blow my mind...

Thanks!

• How would one do all this? Connect the line out of the Freyette with an instrument cable and go into the guitar input of the Kemper?

Would I then try out cabs from different profiles with the real Marshall head or would I get a Celestion IR? I guess IRs don’t have the information of a microphone included and would sound wrong, right?

• IR do include Mic influence so just think of the, as being the same as the cab section in a Kemper Rig. They aren’t any better or worse just different flavours of the same thing.

What DAW are you using. Most will include a plugin that can load IR. In Logic you can use Space Designer. Alternatively you can download a free IR loader plug in and use that within your DAW.

To profile with the Fryette without an IR just treat it the same as a Direct Amp Profile (connection diagram in the manual) and add a Kemper Cabinet or IR afterwards. To profile with an IR you need to run the out of the Fryette into you DAW, through the IR loader and back out to the Kemper.

• Cool, so does that mean I could load an IR into the amp section of the Kemper as well?

As I see it, the easiest workflow would be to just go from the Freyette into Logic and use the Space Designer, without the Kemper in the signal chain. The Kemper would only help if I actually wanted to profile the amp or add some Kemper stomps to the equation.

Thanks for all your replies!

• Cool, so does that mean I could load an IR into the amp section of the Kemper as well?

Yes you can just drag an IR into Rig Manager and it will convert it into a Kemper compatible format.

As I see it, the easiest workflow would be to just go from the Freyette into Logic and use the Space Designer, without the Kemper in the signal chain. The Kemper would only help if I actually wanted to profile the amp or add some Kemper stomps to the equation.

That's the way I would do it. When I used to use a loadbox with a real amp I had a Two Notes Reload so used their Wall of Sound IR plugin but any IR loader will work.