Turn up Amp gain or hit with booster

• I am still new and learning with the Kemper...

Curious... It feels that some profiles turning the Gain up "losses' the tone, where turn the gain slightly down and hitting the front with a Pure booster..gives it a better tone...

This is for that more heavy rock crunch of "marshallesque" style amps...

Is it just me? I seem to like on all profile to pick a higher gain and turn down the gain than to turn it up? Especially for Clean tones turning down the gain seems to give it room when you add an OD for more gain...

I am using an Atomic FRFR If that matters.

• Unless you need too much more gain, two notches in the gain knob still sounds good to me. In other case, pushing it with a stomp would not also get you there, if it is the same one way or the other as Ingolf said, that I dont really know, but testing is ensured from my side, so I can actually de-blind myself about this. Ingolf which stomp would be a pure boost as you describe?

The answer is 42

• Alfahdj I'm talking about the pure boost which in itself is non-coloring.

Perhaps CK will chime in here.

That said, the amount of boost that sounds still 'healthy' depends solely on the amount of gain the profile was made with (just like in real life).

If there’s to much gain to begin with hitting the amp section harder will lead to a mushy and overly saturated result.
    The strategy works best with 'edge of break up' up to mildly overdriven tones.