Best Way to Equalize Volume Between Rigs and Performances on Kemper Stage

• One more basic question about my new Kemper Stage (for now). I have created 4 performances, with 3 or 4 rigs in each performance - so a total of 15 or 16 profiles. But I've got a pretty noticeable variation in the output volumes of the various rigs throughout the performances. What is the best/easiest way to equalize volumes between all these rigs and performances?

Thanks.

• listen carefully and assess whether it is general level differences or whether the differences are between clean and overdriven tones. If clean rigs are consistently too loud or two quiet relative to distorted rigs adjust the clean sense parameter in the input menu first rather than tweak every rig individually. However, if the issue isn’t consistent between clean and dirty rigs then you need to do as Burkhard said and adjust Rig Volume or Amp Volume on each rig and save the changes.

• Thanks. I think I'm in the category where my volumes are all across the board - not limited to clean/distorted discrepancies. Is there any practical difference between using Rig Volume versus Amp Volume? In other words, is one better than the other for any reason?

I just tried one of each. When I did it using Rig Volume, the change didn't "stick" (i.e., when I went back to it, the volume boost I had done was gone). I thought I stored the change properly. How am I supposed to store it?

When I adjust using Amp Volume, I get a question about whether I want to I want to store the Amp Module or the Entire Performance. What's the difference. Thanks again.

• If you're asked to save a module, then you're still in the settings section for that specific area. (Amp, Stomp, Effect etc). If you save just the module, you'll create a preset for just that module. That's not what you want. You want to save the entire performance.

You can avoid seeing that by hitting Exit until you're back at the performance's name. From that screen, you need to press save (on the unit) 3 times. Then, all your changes should hold. If you're using RM to save, bottom right button should save all.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• Thanks, Ruefus, but I'm still confused. What I want to save is the volume boost for the specific profile - not for the entire performance (all 5 preset profiles in a bank). Sometimes I get confused by Kemper terminology, so I may not be saying it exactly right, but hopefully you get my point. Thanks.

• Is there any practical difference between using Rig Volume versus Amp Volume? In other words, is one better than the other for any reason?

The only difference is where you load an effect which is volume sensitive (like compressor) after the Stack section. Try this as an experiement and you will see what I mean:

Select a Rig and load it into two slots of a Performance (to enable quick A/B comparisons)

Now make a major volume change (say +10db) to highlight what is happening. Make this change in Slot A with the Amp Volume and in Slot B with the Rig Volume. Save the changes.

Now add a compressor in FX Module X. Setting don't matter too much but make sure it is a fairly noticeable amount of compression to highlight the effect of the volume change. Save the performance again.

Play something and switch back and forth between the to Rigs. You should find that the Amp Volume boost doesn't get much louder as the compressor catches the volume boost and compresses it. Whereas, the Rig Volume version gets significantly louder as the volume boost happens at the end of the signal path after the compressor.

Not all FX are volume sensitive though. It is tempting to thing that the Delay or Reverb would get overloaded by turning up the Amp volume but this doesn't happen. If you put the same Delay in both Rig versions you will notice that the delay repeats sound the same in both cases.

• Thanks, Ruefus, but I'm still confused. What I want to save is the volume boost for the specific profile - not for the entire performance (all 5 preset profiles in a bank). Sometimes I get confused by Kemper terminology, so I may not be saying it exactly right, but hopefully you get my point. Thanks.

You're only saving the change for the slot you're working in. Changes do not cross rig slots.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Edited once, last by Ruefus ().