Kemper monitors for bedroom + living room loudness

• Hi!

I know that this topic was discussed but not exactly with the same requirements/manner.

I have Yamaha DXR10 which sounds super cool but I love to have some monitors for home low-level volume playing because Yamaha takes ~700W which translates to let's say only 2h per day playing/practicing costs more than 10$ per month taking into account current energy prices, which is insane!! It's not ecological nor financially viable.

I wish to have 2 monitors which together will take max 80W, less power they will take but still be able to sound good on low-volume - better. I will play 90% of the time at low-level volume - if I wish to have loud sound I can just switch to Yamaha DXR10.

Do you have any recommendations for such a case?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. The actual power consumption of the Yamaha DXR10 is more along the lines of 80-100W (which is pretty loud already) or less.

2. If you run your DXR10 at 700W power consumption for 2h per day, you'll be almost deaf within a week.

3. Buying monitors with 40W max. power output won't make you happy. You really want to have a bit of headroom. And since I haven't mentioned it yet ... The max. power rating doesn't mean that they actually use it all the time. Buy a wattmeter so you can see it with your own eyes. You'll be surprised how little they actually use. ;)

• 1. The actual power consumption of the Yamaha DXR10 is more along the lines of 80-100W (which is pretty loud already) or less.

2. If you run your DXR10 at 700W power consumption for 2h per day, you'll be almost deaf within a week.

3. Buying monitors with 40W max. power output won't make you happy. You really want to have a bit of headroom. And since I haven't mentioned it yet ... The max. power rating doesn't mean that they actually use it all the time. Buy a wattmeter so you can see it with your own eyes. You'll be surprised how little they actually use. ;)

Yeah.. i suppose that it does not take 1100W of max power of dxr10 but rather nominal 700W, i have no idea how much it can take at "living room" sound, if it's about 80-100 or less, that's super cool, wattmeter can be an option to check it out, i'll check it and leave here a comment if someone will look for power consumption at particular level.

• ( My answer in your first tread with same topic ..... )

700 watt ??? More like 90 watt as per the label on the back of DXR-10 ....

Have you read it ? :/

Maybe you have misunderstand power consumption and output power ... Both are in watts 8o

Cheers !

The adjective for metal is metallic. But not so for iron ... which is ironic.

• Just as a point of reference. I had to get rid of a Victory V30 because even the 1/4w power setting (yes 0.25 watts) was too loud to get the power amp working in a bedroom setting ?.

I am not an electrical expert but my layman’s understanding says that power input used to drive the amp is proportional to the power output driving the speakers. I am sure it won’t be a linear 1:1 relationship but in principle, if you don’t have the amp running full tilt you aren’t going to be consuming maximum energy on the input.

Think of it like a car. A Ferarri can do 200 mph and when doing so will drink petrol like crazy. However, if you drive it at 60mph it will use a lot less fuel. Of course it will never be as frugal as a Fiat Punto but it doesn’t need to consume fuel at its maximum capacity unless you like slamming the accelerator.

DXR10 have a volume knob so I wouldn’t worry about it.

• Thanks for the answers, it's not that I thought that it takes maximum power all the time, I see in the spec that max is 1100 nad "nominal" I 700 I didn't know how to interpret nominal, so translating to a Cars I interpreted it like this, max is 110mph and nominal is 70mph, but let's say that I am not 70mph but rather 50mph in the city, it would be still 500W so in that line of thinking 80-90W is less than 1/10 of max power. My worries maybe come from the that I have never tried to get it as loud as possible to have a reference point of capabilities ;) Should have checked this earlier -> https://usa.yamaha.com/product…o/speakers/dxr/specs.html