active volume pedal as expression pedal?

• So I will keep a close watch on this thread to see what will happen as I use a volume pedal a lot. Both for swells as well as a way to control the overdrive characteristics of profiles.

The HILTON volume pedal is an optical pedal with buffers on the input and output. It is made by a pedal steel guitarist who was unhappy with the existing pedals. You know on steel guitar they do a lot of these swells and this pedal is soooo smooth on that. It seems not so easy to transfer this into the digital world of expression pedals. I am curious to see if I can just train my foot to get along with the new "feel" of the FV-500H. So I will practice some Derek Bailey stuff the next weeks...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• When a pedal has dead zones, this cannot be avoided or worked around by the KPA, unfortunately.
    This is a flaw of Boss. Mine does the same.
    I have a Yamaha FC-7 too. That is much better. No noticable dead zones.

• Back to your "jumping" pedal:
    Have you tried Expression (Type 1) and (Type 2) in the System menu?
    Maybe Type 2 works better on this pedal, due to a reversed polarity (Tip&Ring)

• Yes I have changed "Expression" (Type 1) or (Type 2). And I always push "Init" again and then move all the pedalway. But I will check out this again with the "rubber modded" FV-500H later today.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• I have a Yamaha FC-7 too. That is much better. No noticable dead zones.

>> Here >> is the manual. Looks good. But the cable is fixed connected and only 1,5 meters long. Who knows why they do this. But there is an interesting fortissimo funktion.

www.audiosemantics.de

• >> Here >> is the manual. Looks good. But the cable is fixed connected and only 1,5 meters long. Who knows why they do this. But there is an interesting fortissimo funktion.

Looks similar to my Pro-El. Could be different insides.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Back to your "jumping" pedal: Have you tried Expression (Type 1) and (Type 2) in the System menu?

So now I did some more testing. I could not really detect a big difference between Type1 and Type2 - maybe Type2 a tad smoother.

It is so confusing - you know I have been playing the HILTON for years so now it is difficult for me to tell if it is just a matter of habit or if it is a technical issue. All I can tell is every time I go back to the HILTON it feels like "coming home" - fades come in just a little bit smoother.

>> Here >> is a new recording with Type1 and Type2. I tried to do it a bit more scientific by strumming always only the same open chords. In order to rule out the "habit" factor now I did all the fades with my hand.

I think the key to all this might be the fact that the HILTON works optically.This allows the manufacturer to to freely taylor the curve of the pedalway to his liking because he just has to create the right color gradient that fits the fade you want to have and then print this out on glass or plexiglass:
    [Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/HALFTONE-PATTERN.jpg
    This is what creates the fade in an optical pedal when it goes between the LED and the optical sensor. A manufacturer of a poti based pedal can never choose freely the curve of his fades because he depends on the potis that are on offer in the industry, and that is mainly linear or logarithmic some better some worse.

It is really a pity that I cannot conect my HILTON to the EXP jack of the KPA.

www.audiosemantics.de

Edited 4 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• On a computer we can choose so many fade curves. Would it be possible to offer some of them on the KPA? That means to have more influence on the way that the KPA interprets the data he receives from the pedal.
    [Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/fade-curve.jpg]

www.audiosemantics.de

Edited 3 times, last by fretboardminer ().

• I was able to improve the volume curve a bit. Available in the next firmware.

Will your fix be already implemented in the 1.1.1 Public Beta, that is out just now? I have a duo gig with a turntable player next week where I would be happy if I could already use your fix. But I don't see it mentioned in the description of 1.1.1. Beta and if it is not yet included I would rather wait than playing a gig with a Beta version.

www.audiosemantics.de

• Boah - that's awesome!
    It even works with the shabby plastic ZOOM FP-01. (Which might be helpful on flight-gigs.)
    Just awesome, really!

We love you!

[Blocked Image: http://www.audiosemantics.de/FORUMS/Big-Grin.jpg]

www.audiosemantics.de