sound effects - headphones vs speakers

• For a year I rehearse with the band with my KPA Stage and 2 headrush frfr speakers. Main volume at KPA at 12 'o clock and at 6/11 on the speakers. Everything pre-set up at home sounds satisfying (at home frfr = 1/11).

Today i decided not to annoy my neighbors for once, put in my (Marshall Major II) headphones, heard my single delay a thousands of times longer kicking, flanger a lot more flangy,....

If i'll play a concert, i'll connect my stage directly into a PA , will the effects sound more like trough the speakers , or more like trough the headphones today ?

• Are you connecting the FRFR to the main outs or the monitor out?

The headphone out should get the same signal as the main outs (but headphones will have the Space Effect added).

There could be a few reasons why the fx sound different in headphones vs FRFR. What signal is being sent to each output? If you are sending a mono signal to the FRFR but Stereo to Headphones this would make a difference. Also if you are sending a Stereo signal to a single mono out you will only get half the effect as the KPA does not automatically sum to mono like some units do.

• Are you connecting the FRFR to the main outs or the monitor out?

main outs (xlr cable). The main out is set to master stereo.

Space effect is indeed turned on, didnt know the existense of it till now. Will try to adjust that and see what it gives.

My main worry was just that my sound would need a lot of tweaking if i put it trough a PA.

• Re you saying that the difference n effect level/perception between FRFR and Headphones is only audible between speakers @1/11 or is it also there @6/11? Volume does make a big difference in several ways.

Tested that, was fine. Volume does indeed cause a a lot. Found that out a year ago with main volume at 2 and at 6 :)

I think i just heard the effects mix level more clearly trough headphones. Turned it down a bit more as i guess less is better than too much

• You will hear effects more pronounce with headphones because there is very little air between the speaker and your ear for the effects to decay in. I think it makes a big difference on what your high cut is for Delay and Verb because those frequencies seem to easily blend in to the ambience of natural rooms and stage atmosphere and can get lost.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.