Kemper Stage Hum with 4 Cable method

• Hi all, my first post here.

After quite some time using just my Stage I felt its time to use a real amp just for fun. In order to use the effects of the Stage I use a 4 cable setup. Guitar- Stage Input - Effect Send - Amp in - Amp effect send - Stage Effect return - Stage Monitor Out - Amp effect return.

I know its overkill and I could also try to get some proper profiles of the amp, but anyway...

When I use this setup I get quite some hum on the setup. This happens when I use the Stage before the amp. By just adding the Stage in the effects loop of the amp there only minor noise.

Are there any experiences with a setup like this? Maybe there is secret button I did not find ;)

• Never used this method but the KPA is a digital device that is not inherently noisy, so I suspect its either:

1) too much gain upon gain - which is born out by the fact that via the effects loop ( i.e. missing out the pre amp) its not too noisy

2) Dodgy/unshielded cable

3) Coming from the guitar

• Thank for the reply, There should be not added gain but maybe the preamp section of the Stage is doing something, I tried different high quality cables. Guitars are not the problem, it happens even if there is Stage is on mute.

• If it's a steady hum, it's probably a ground loop. If it sequels at volume, signal loop. I use the Pyle PHE300 for either. Use it on both the in/out on one of the components. I assume you already tried the ground lift switch on the KPA?

• Well at last it was an easy fix. Thanks for the replies. The ground lift option in the Stage did not really work, however plugging my old EBTech Hum Eliminator between the send of the Kemper and Guitar Amp in resoved it (like in the old days with my G-system). Should have tried it before asking.

• I tried 4cm before. Not with the kemper but every time it was a mess to setup.

Hiss, noise… a nightmare lol.

You also have to know exactly how your amp effect loop is designed.

Setting the level takes a lot of time and you must tweak very lightly each time.

I was tired of that and decided to buy a kemper stage to go straight foh