As I Lay Dying | Shaped By Fire | Full Band Cover

• Hey Guys!

I just wrapped up a full band cover for "Shaped By Fire" from As I Lay Dying. Guitars were of course tracked via my KPA power rack - 6505 profiles for the main guitars and 5153's for the background quad tracks. This one came out so dang sick and I'm really happy with the finished product/mix/guitar tones/video.

For you metal players out there, I'm curious what amp profiles have worked really well for quad tracking? Thus far, I've only used this 6505/5153 combo and I've been pretty happy with the results. Also, what does the mixing look like when you quad track? One profile dual tracked R/L with different profile in the background (like I did here)? Or one profile hard panned R and the other L with the opposite happening in the background for the quad tracking? I feel there's no hard and fast formula.

Enjoy! Thanks! :D

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• I've only very recently tried quad tracking and using a 6505 with a Mesa Dual Rect. All I've learned so far is that the tone needs to have much larger low cuts than you would think so the tracks don't sound muddy and drown in with the bassist. Getting the right low end without the mud is a challenge for me. I guess I'll just stick to Hard Rock with one or two tracks because it's slower and easier. ;)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• I've only very recently tried quad tracking and using a 6505 with a Mesa Dual Rect. All I've learned so far is that the tone needs to have much larger low cuts than you would think so the tracks don't sound muddy and drown in with the bassist. Getting the right low end without the mud is a challenge for me. I guess I'll just stick to Hard Rock with one or two tracks because it's slower and easier. ;)

Very true! I've also found that with quad tracking (and dual tracking!) that its super important to record and leverage the DI tracks (even if you're not reamping) to better visually see the audio waveform and use that for editing everything super tight - especially with the metal stuff. I've found that doing this makes things go from slightly muddy to tight/amazing, very quickly.

A multiband compressor on the guitar master bus is also crucial for mud elimination :D compressing a few db from the 80-420hz range.