Rig volume control and master volume control relative settings question

• Am I right in thinking that turning up the Kemper rig volume setting is not equivalent to turning up an amp's master vol and thus driving it's output tubes more without driving the preamp tubes more?

I ask because I find doing this and compensating for equal overall volume with the master vol control yields somewhat fatter tonality than just turning up the master volume does. Is it possible in a profile to adjust only the output tube drive contribution to the profile response?

Gb

• Am I right in thinking that turning up the Kemper rig volume setting is not equivalent to turning up an amp's master vol and thus driving it's output tubes more without driving the preamp tubes more?

Correct, the rig volume just increases level of the rig with no other changes.

The master volume does the same.

the two are completely interchangeable unless you have volume sensitive effect like a compressor or drive after the stack. In which case turning up the rig volume would hit the front of that effect harder and make it respond differently whereas turning up master volume would have no impact on the effects.

• With my power rack powering a 1x12 guitar cab I have noticed that for a given final output volume, running the rig vol high (like 7-10) with the master vol low yields a fatter, more amp-like sound than running the rig vol low (1-3) with the master vol higher to get the same final volume level. A fellow power rack owner agrees.

Why is this- non linearity in the power amp input stage?

• Could it be that you are hitting the strings harder when rig is set louder giving you a fatter sound? I have a tendency to do this, and I think it's common and a natural way we communicate.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Could it be that you are hitting the strings harder when rig is set louder giving you a fatter sound? I have a tendency to do this, and I think it's common and a natural way we communicate.

But the rig is not audibly louder, since I compensate for turning up the rig volume with a lower master volume setting to achieve the same overall volume level. But the tonality and thickness is noticeably different. Please try it out, and let us know your thoughts.