Got Me Falling Down

• In before the week! I've could have easily spent another few days tweaking and EQing. But time to move on to the next one.

The intro was tricky trying to come up with something to go with the main riffage. I tried to loose some dependency on delays for the rhythm parts and keep guitar as dry as possible. I got the bass a little tighter and with some more low end compared to the last mix. My solo has a sound like a bagpipe on high notes that I'd need to clear up for next time.

I used my new Friedman BE-OD pedal in front of the Kemper going into a clean Fender Concert profile for guitars and the Eventide MicroPitch.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Good progress, keep it up! Figuring out a flow and how to combine parts is part of the fun of music, there's really few rules, only what feels or sounds right.

The one advice I'd give again if you find yourself running out of time is cut down the length of a track. It's better to have ten seconds of bliss where you learned a lot trying out many different things, than 5 minutes of less strong content because you stretched yourself too thin. And I really do mean that, some of my early tracks really were as short as a jingle.

You can build up duration later on as you increase your box of tricks.

• Thanks Per! It's really me "trying to find the perfect tone" for guitar, and then figuring out do I want type A or type B for the embellishment choices, and finally, making a good bridge is what's taking the most time. If I cut back on the "tone chase" then I think one per week is easy to manage. Right after I posted this, I already came up with a hook and chorus for the next one. I just need an interesting bridge for it then ready to record.

• Sounds great BayouTexan

There are a few opportunities where you could have used the drums to accent quite a few of the changes but this will come with time.

Did you record a separate left and right rhythm guitar? If so great work as they are seamless, thats real skill right there

I would actually like to hear one of your future track both raw without any post processing and your final processed mix.

Great job

• Thanks Joe! The rhythm guitar was done with my new secret weapon -- one stereo track going into an Eventide MicroPitch. I spent quite a few hours learning to dial it in so I can get realistic double track sounds. So, yes, I used some skill to dial it in right. ;) This is saving me some time so I only have to worry about 3 tracks; guitar, bass, and drums.

The raw tracks are like night and day. The processed tone on the guitar is much different than the raw. The bass not so much but the drums are quite a bit too. I wouldn't mind sending you a raw mix and see how you would process it. I'd love to have someone working along side me while I figure this mixing stuff out.

After checking this out in a car stereo, I see I need to increase the bass by about 2db. It did not have the "punch" I wanted. No acoustic treatment finished in my new studio yet so I'll have to deal with this issue for a few more weeks. I had to boost the bass about the same way in my previous mix after I posted it.