Two questions on tone.

• 1. If the cab is always the same then how much color does one clean amp give compared to another clean amp? Like a Fender with minimal gain to a Vox with minimal gain to a Marshall with almost no gain. I've read on these forums that most amps share the same circuitry.

2. What is the best approach to tighten up the low end on a profile without changing the high end? I would like to keep the low E and A string from being less flubby and muddy while keeping the profiles default tone on the upper strings.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• 2. Reduce the low end before the gain stage. This is sort of what the DEFINITION does. I like to run an EQ as the first stomp.

Working on my VST, I found a good start for low cut is around 150 Hz (crunch) and move it up as the gain increases. Then add bass back after gain stages.

• 2. Reduce the low end before the gain stage. This is sort of what the DEFINITION does. I like to run an EQ as the first stomp.

Working on my VST, I found a good start for low cut is around 150 Hz (crunch) and move it up as the gain increases. Then add bass back after gain stages.

But I find that definition thins out the high end which is what I want to keep original to the profile.

• take an EQ before the amp slot and start backing of a few dB in a particular frequency range like 350kHz.
    Experiment with a narrow Q, I usually keep it at or below .7 and cut it from 0 down into negative 2 or 3 range until you hear it having its effect on things then decide do you think it needs to be happening in a higher or lower frequency to optimize the desired results and make that change if so. Alternatively you can set a narrow Q cut at around 3 dB and sweep the frequency across the spectrum to identify the frequency you find most disturbing to the tightness you seek.

cutting approximately 3 dB around 300-400 kHz ahead of the amps gain stages can tighten things up get rid of mud/ flub etc and you can go downstream of the amp/cab and use another EQ to boost the same frequency a similar amount to compensate for what your cut did to characteristics of the sound if you like and it won’t increase the mud/flub or make the tightness suffer.

its reducing the problematic frequency before it becomes a component of the distortion/ gain that keeps things tight. That’s what so many people love about drive pedals, like tube screamer, it isn’t really what they add it’s what they filter out, even though lots of people don’t realize that’s the reason they like it

• Thanks Enchilada_Jones . Your suggestion has helped the most so far. While the tightness was not apparent right away when first setting the EQ, it was very apparent when turning it off and on to do a before and after compare. I was doing this in a mix. Then I learned the tightness I wanted was too much and I had to leave in a little of the flub to round out with the bass and drums. :)