USB recording and S/Pdif simultaneously?

• Hey there. Can I record through USB while also simultaneously using the S/Pdif out for monitoring?

The issue: The sound of the Kemper is not possible when using USB unless you connect a second set of monitors directly to the Kemper and use Direct Monitoring.

Possible solution to hearing both the Kemper and record through USB: A monitor volume controller (MVC) with 2 inputs. I’m looking at the Audient Nero. It has S/Pdif in and a dedicated volume trim knob to adjust S/Pdif against the main volume. That would be perfect as I hate solutions, which are more complicated than it should be. A knob to adjust overall volume from my audio interface and a knob to adjust S/Pdif from the Kemper would be perfect.

So can the Kemper deliver a signal from the USB and S/Pdif simultaneously?

If the Kemper can’t do this, I’m thinking about using the analog outs from the Kemper and put them through the MVC as with S/Pdif. This solution gets a bit more complicated though. Many MVC’s has issues here as it’s either impossible to adjust each input individually or it demands a process of pressing buttons and so on prior being able to adjust volume. So the S/Pdif solution would be my favorite solution. That’s for sure. But the analog adventure can be done of course.

Some people suggests using software to adjust volume differences between the DAW and the Kemper, but that’s not intuitive to me, because it demands switching between software and that takes time. Being in Logic Pro and having to adjust volume difference between the DAW and the Kemper demands putting down the guitar pick, placing the hand on the track pad or mouse, find the audio interface software or RM and adjust the volume accordingly. I know it might be a process of 10 seconds or so, but it’s still less intuitive and slower than being able to adjust it right away.

Thanx :)

• Maybe I'm misinterpreting your request as I know it is related to your previous posts about not being able to use Kemper USB and another interface simultaneously.

The issue: The sound of the Kemper is not possible when using USB unless you connect a second set of monitors directly to the Kemper and use Direct Monitoring.

Creating an aggregate device does allow listening to the playback from one device while playing (and hearing) audio from a second device (Kemper USB in this case) if you are woking in a DAW like Logic.

I have mine set up this way just no to test it and am playing along via Kemper USB out. The only downside is that the Kemper needs to be the clock source. I'm not sure if that is by design or something that will de resolved when Kemper publish their own USB drivers but it is a little annoying at the moment.

I have the Aggregate device set as Input in Logic but the MOTU Ultralite 5 as the Output.

EDIT: Just tried revamping with this setup and it didn't work. However, I just changed the Output device in Logic to be the Aggregate device and revamping works fine too.

• Hey...the only way I'm able to listen to the USB signal from the Kemper is through the monitor button on the selected track in Logic, but that demands a very low buffersize. But yes...in this way it can be done of course. But that is not a solution, I'm keen on. I've created the aggregate device in Logic and it works as intended. Kemper support has verified that the only way of listening to the Kemper is by attaching monitors directly to the Kemper and selecting "Direct monitoring" on the Kemper. I don't want that solution as I want to listen to the signals of my Kemper, my DAW, YouTube etc on the same set of monitors.

• OK, i agree that being able to direct monitor would definitely be preferable to having to monitor through the DAW track.

Some people suggests using software to adjust volume differences between the DAW and the Kemper, but that’s not intuitive to me, because it demands switching between software and that takes time. Being in Logic Pro and having to adjust volume difference between the DAW and the Kemper demands putting down the guitar pick, placing the hand on the track pad or mouse, find the audio interface software or RM and adjust the volume accordingly. I know it might be a process of 10 seconds or so, but it’s still less intuitive and slower than being able to adjust it right away.

I also agree that it is a pain in the backside to have to reach for the mouse all the time to bring up software to make adjustments. A few seconds is nothing but when you have to do it hundreds of times in a session it is a major issue.

Although I have tested aggregate devices and played with other ideas, in the end I still prefer to use analog or SPDIF with my main MOUT interface and just use the Kemper USB for access to Rig Manager. I see the UsB audio as a nice to have feature for playing with an iPad etc or for people who don’t have an interface already but if you already have a good interface (as I know you do) I can’t see any advantage to using the KPA USB audio.

• I am actually considering buying the Avid Mbox Studio as it has most of what I seek. Just not the physical possibility to easy and fast change the volume of the inputs. If the Arturia Audiofuse 2 didn’t get a lot of hate from buyers, that was probably the way I would go. But I might just have to cope with adjusting volume within the software. I mean….I do that now in the RME Mix Control and what I’ve always done. I just find it less intuitive and a slow to do it that way and I was hoping to optimize this workflow. But it’s not the end of the world :)