Best output to use to go Kemper --> Scarlett Focusrite (8i6 3rd gen), also with PC audio going in --> powered studio monitors

• he setup I'm going for is:

Kemper --> Scarlett Focusrite 8i6 gen3 --> powered studio monitors / headphones

PC --------> Scarlett Focusrite -------------> powered studio monitors / headphones

I know I could just go main output into Scarlett front input 1 & 2 (Kemper set line level).

But I believe I can also go S/PDIF?

Any pro's/con's of doing it one way or the other? Or should it all be pretty similar?

-----------------------

Bonus noob question: what is best audio out of my PC to go into the Scarlett? Just the 3.5mm out? USB out? S/PDIF?

Thanks all!

• Spdif is your friend just make sure you know where all the digital clock settings are in your Kemper and your interface. I used the 6i6 and it worked well. Also, make sure you get spdif capable cables.

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• I like mine this way...

Kemper --> Motu --> powered studio monitors A or powered monitors B / headphones

Then I can add a stereo effect pedal on the main outs if I wish like a Mimic Doubler.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• Spdif is your friend just make sure you know where all the digital clock settings are in your Kemper and your interface. I used the 6i6 and it worked well. Also, make sure you get spdif capable cables.

Cool thanks. Yeah I feel like I've seen several people over the years say S/PDIF if best. And yeah, I do recall the whole clock setting thing. That is a little daunting to me but I know I can search and find several threads on that, so hopefully I'll be able to figure it out!

• Cool thanks. Yeah I feel like I've seen several people over the years say S/PDIF if best. And yeah, I do recall the whole clock setting thing. That is a little daunting to me but I know I can search and find several threads on that, so hopefully I'll be able to figure it out!

I use Logic and used to clock the interface to spdif I think. There was a problem if the Kemper had a different sample rate to the Logic project. When you get it working, re amping is a doddle

A brace of Suhrs, a Charvel, a toaster, an Apollo twin, a Mac, and a DXR10

• What output do you use from Kemper going into Motu? Just the Mains?

Yes. Kemper Mains --- > Motu Ins (left and right).

BTW, There is no difference between recording to DAW with Analog vs SPDIF. SPDIF just makes it easier to reamp

but you can reamp with analog by using an "insert plugin" in DAW.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• -----------------------

Bonus noob question: what is best audio out of my PC to go into the Scarlett? Just the 3.5mm out? USB out? S/PDIF?

Thanks all!

You don’t send audio from your PC to the Scarlett. The audio is all handled in the Scarlett when it receives digital data from the PC. Therefore, you NEED to use USB.