Are the Kemper test sounds supposed to be considerably quieter than the guitar through the same setup?

• Hey everyone,

first post here. So i've been doing commercial captures for Quad Cortex, ToneX and NAM for some time and am considering to do some stuff for Kemper.

I have a Kemper rack at my side and did some first tests. What surprises is me is the relatively quieter test tones compared to how loud the guitar throug the same setup is.

Is this normal or is there some user error? I adjust the return level before it audibly clips, start the profiling procedure and am always noticing at least 6-8db lower levels of the test signals compared to my guitar, no matter how high/low the return level is set.

Is this normal? I have reset the unit to factory settings and am running OS 10.

Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice for a noob! ;)

• Hi Amalgamaudio.

Cant help you with your question, but im glad to hear that you`ll make some profiles for the Kemper.

I love what you´ve did for the ToneX so far and will buy some of your Kemper one´s for sure!

• Thanks Binke65! At his point i think i can answer my own question. The test signals on the Kemper are different from the newer breed of capture devices and they just are comparatively quieter to the guitar signal than the test signals of the others.

Differences in the return level do not seem to affect the end result as much as with the others.

• Official Post

I have a Kemper rack at my side and did some first tests. What surprises is me is the relatively quieter test tones compared to how loud the guitar throug the same setup is.

This is the first time I see someone commenting on how quiet the test signals are - usually they are decribed as an alien mothership landing next door, which is also my experience with them :)

• Where have you taken the levels for the test signals?

It is true that during the Profiling process the output volume to your monitors is attenuated to give you a nice listening experience of the test signals, while the latter are really loud.

• Where have you taken the levels for the test signals?

It is true that during the Profiling process the output volume to your monitors is attenuated to give you a nice listening experience of the test signals, while the latter are really loud.

Thanks a bunch for the clarification! That settles it ;)