Microphones for Acoustic guitar

• Hi folks, I would need some advice from the recording experts here. While I do studio work since over 30 years, I have always been relying on the experience of the producer/sound engineer for mic choices. Now I'm looking to select a dedicated mic for acoustic/classic guitar for my own home studio and I'm not 100% sure what way to go.

I'm down to 4 alternatives:

- Shure SM81: seems to be quite a standard for Acoustic Guitars in all studios that I've been in

- Audio Technica AT4041: Used it once for a recording with a Ramirez classic and still can't forget that sound, soo deep and rich

- Neumann KM-184: Single Mic (not looking for recording in Stereo). Well....is Neumann! Only downside is that all Neumann I've ever used do pick every possible small noise from the room (and at home I do not have a fully isolated room)

- Beyerdynamic M160: Have seen only raging reviews for Acoustic guitar recording, but never had a chance to try it. A studio where I work do have one, but I'm going to be there again only at the end of November and didn't wanted to wait that long.

Not interested in large membrane mics.

I have an ART Pro Channel II Mic preamp that I use for Voice, but I would prefer to plug directly in to my Onyx 12.

Thanks in advance for your views/advice.

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• Not in your choices but the main mic I use for acoustic is an AKG C451. Neumanns are awesome too but quite $$$. I might be stating the obvious but I'd say the room acoustics, the mic placement and the guitar itself are probably more influential on the final result.

• Not in your choices but the main mic I use for acoustic is an AKG C451. Neumanns are awesome too but quite $$$. I might be stating the obvious but I'd say the room acoustics, the mic placement and the guitar itself are probably more influential on the final result.

AKG C451 on paper looks pretty similar to the AT4041. Agree on the rest, that part is sorted already (within given possibilities)

• Here's a link with sample acoustic recordings of several mics to compare.

Choosing the Best Microphone for Acoustic Guitar - 32 Mic Shootout (sweetwater.com)

Great Link! Thanks. All of them in it. From a first round of hearing the AT4041 (attack and transients) and Neumann K184 (bass response and freq spread) makes the final run for me (don't want a large membrane one). My shop has both in stock, I'll see if I can try them 1:1 there.

• as stated in post#2, room acoustics are a important factor, and the better the mic, the more you´ll notice that.

that´s less important with a ribbon mic like the m160, but you need very good preamps with ribbons (low output)

i also recommend trying to make a stereo recording with the AT4041 AND the Neumann (or whatever mics you want to try).

Acoustic Guitars are so much nicer in Stereo. Don´t go for a "perfect" stereo setup, just point them to where it sounds good.