USB Audio Issues

• Is anybody having issues using Kemper USB audio? In response to a help request, Marc from customer support told me "USB audio works fine for us and the vast majority of our users. Did you try to use another computer to rule our an USB hardware related issue?"

That was the extent of assistance offered so I needed to know if it's just me?

I started a session Sunday pm and could not get audio into Logic Pro, when I did it was breaking up/intermittent, tried changing the DAW settings to make sure nothing wasn't where it was meant to be, (It wasn't) changed cables, unplugged, restarted at least 9 times and it finally worked, all settings exactly the same as at the start of the session. (I had also tried 2 other older Macs to make sure it wasn't my 3 month old MBPro M2)

The reason for my email was to ascertain if there are any hints Kemper has to troubleshoot this, i.e.: start logic, then rig manager or vice versa, restart Mac before session, unplug/replug cables etc. (I'd already bought new USB cables 3 times after a previous session did the same, making sure they're audio compliant and not a cheap wannabe) instead, I got the above email, which, apart from having no helpful suggestions or any "sorry you're having issues with our product, I see from our records you've purchased 3 kemper amps and 2 Kones from us and we value your custom" Nothing of the sort, the quote above is the full extent of the support offered by Marc.

Am I being oversensitive feeling that this is a snarky response to a serious request? The fact that I've worked with digital audio since it's inception in many major Hollywood studios should have no bearing on the support, but does need saying here, though the response should be as helpful to any level of Kemper user, from novice to full blown guru and this email was not!

Thanks for any feedback, much appreciated, anything that helps Kemper support be better listeners makes for better results for all!

• I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with it. In my case it is working flawlessly. I typically don’t use it much though as I have a dedicated interface which is more convenient but every time I do use the Kemper it works with logic perfectly. In fact I have spent nearly 6 months working with MOTU support to try and resolve an issue with my main interface losing connection. In the end we isolated the issue to the Mac USB controller. The only way I could get the MOTU to run was to connect via a powered USB hub. Even MOTU said they normally advise against this but in this case the Mac was causing problems not the interface. I suspect that in your case, as the vast majority of users are experiencing flawless performance, the issue is probably something related to Apple’s USB controller rather than the Kemper.

Have you tried connecting via a hub?

• I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with it. In my case it is working flawlessly. I typically don’t use it much though as I have a dedicated interface which is more convenient but every time I do use the Kemper it works with logic perfectly. In fact I have spent nearly 6 months working with MOTU support to try and resolve an issue with my main interface losing connection. In the end we isolated the issue to the Mac USB controller. The only way I could get the MOTU to run was to connect via a powered USB hub. Even MOTU said they normally advise against this but in this case the Mac was causing problems not the interface. I suspect that in your case, as the vast majority of users are experiencing flawless performance, the issue is probably something related to Apple’s USB controller rather than the Kemper.

Have you tried connecting via a hub?

I think I saw your MOTU post at Sweetwater. :)

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• How? Never used Sweatwater as I’m in the UK.

There was a very similar customer review about the MOTU to Mac connectivity and how MOTU is relying on customers as beta testers. I have the MOTU M4 and love it with PC. I plan to upgrade to their Mk5.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• There was a very similar customer review about the MOTU to Mac connectivity and how MOTU is relying on customers as beta testers. I have the MOTU M4 and love it with PC. I plan to upgrade to their Mk5.

It's the Ultralite MK5 I have. Really nice unit. Initially I was convinced the problem was the interface. But we tested everything including using the interface with multiple computers and my iPad. It worked on everything except my mac mini. The issue clearly isn't the interface in my case. However, the Kemper works just fine with my mac mini even though the MOTU doesn't. These things can be a nightmare to track down and often aren't caused by the obvious thing we automatically assume. While there may be some issue with the Kemper USB. The fact that it doesn't affect many people would suggest that even if the Kemper is the problem it is how it interacts with another issue on the receiving hardware which is user specific and therefore even harder for them to deal with.

• Thanks for the response wheresthedug, much appreciated, especially the "I’m sorry to hear you are having trouble with it" which is what Marc should have led with in his response!

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 for S/PDIF - Flawless performance which rules out USB issues AFAIC. The Kemper will work perfectly for a week or so, but will then start to develop the issues mentioned if I leave it for more than a few days, then it needs to be restarted/USB unplugged and replugged, then after about 9 restarts, it's perfect again, all with the exact same settings as before, my 18i20 never does this, nor does my old firewire Focusrite with a USB C adapter, always flawless performance from power on, I had 3 MOTU units that were also faultless, the Ultralite, Audio Express and Track 16, all via USB C adapters on a MB Pro M2, from this, I can only adduce it's an issue with Kemper, most likely Rig Manager interaction, as it's much more stable without RM running, which defeats the entire point for my workflow.

I have a hub and will try that, but that again is a step backwards, using a powered hub that could add more issues than it solves.

If there is an Apple USB hardware issue, it's Kemper specific which puts any solution in no-mans land for now!

Cheers!

• Recommend you watch this USB Recording Tutorial by Thomas Dill. He talks about avoiding sounds issues with Mac and Logic when you follow a set procedure for powering on your equipment. Although I agree this shouldn’t be required…It worked for me. Here’s the link to his vid…start at 8 min mark for order…good luck.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

• Thanks so much mistrp13331, very helpful! That's what I was essentially hoping Marc would provide: Which order do I turn on/off applications/plug/unplug cables?

I find it mind boggling that Marc from Kemper support didn't simply point me to their own very knowledgable video! Marc, if you're reading this?

• I've asked that my complaint about the handling of this be passed up to Christoph if possible, Marc could easily have sent me a link to the kemper USB video, where it's very clearly noted that there are issues if the sequence is not followed (Around 8 min mark) the very issues I had asked about and that Marc told me nobody else was experiencing, instead passing the buck to possible Apple USB problems, which is infuriating!

• I started a session Sunday pm and could not get audio into Logic Pro, when I did it was breaking up/intermittent, tried changing the DAW settings to make sure nothing wasn't where it was meant to be, (It wasn't) changed cables, unplugged, restarted at least 9 times and it finally worked, all settings exactly the same as at the start of the session. (I had also tried 2 other older Macs to make sure it wasn't my 3 month old MBPro M2)

I have had this issue, or one very similar. It often happened when I set the KPA as USB Audio interface once the session in Logic Pro has been initiated.
    However, I just had it now with no Logic Pro session open whatsoever. The KPA was already set as my audio interface and I was watching a video on Facebook. I then opened Rig Manager and this intermittent/interrupted sound issue started to happen. I then closed Rig Manager and the sound was still playing faultily. I opened Rig Manager back again and it is then that this breaking up/intermittent sound disappeared.

So I'd say you're not alone. If you ask me, it's a bug of the KPA. I'd like the staff to come across it so they set themselves to address it for good.