How to dial in recording levels

• Hi all,

I recently found out the kemper can record (by cooking the input of my scarlett, lol).

I got my kemper rack set up through ASIO4ALL and can see a signal in reaper. Ideally, I'd like to record the signal (stereo) and the DI signal at the same time. Where and how do I have to set this up? I haven't found any volume knob yet, that changes the signal I'm seeing in reaper. Also, can I set these up per bank, to account for different levels of say, guitar and bass?

Thanks in advance!

• You can adjust the various volume levels in the Output section.

I unlink the different volumes, so I can set the Main Outputs to the right level for my recording setup, but still use the volume knob on the front to control the volume in my Kab like an amp.

Definitely don't feed the Speaker out from a powered Kemper into anything but a passive speaker cabinet. Is that the fried bit you mention?

• the USB audio level of the processed signal is determined by the Rig volume parameter. The level of the DI signal can be controlled by the clean sens parameter in the input menu. Both values are stored with the rig.

The desired output source for the USB audio signal can be set on the USB audio page in the output menu.

• Definitely don't feed the Speaker out from a powered Kemper into anything but a passive speaker cabinet. Is that the fried bit you mention?

Nah, I just had the setup: kemper-> scarlett and when the kemper started playing audio the scarlett's input showed red a lot... all good, though.

Can these settings be made from the rig manager?
    I also noticed, that when I turned up the rig volume, the peak in reaper showed something like -18 dB, but the output LED of the kemper was red a lot. I'm guessing this is, because my signal is very low overall and I have to crank the rig volume a lot.

• If your overall signal is too low, untick the -12dB pad in the output menu. Normally you can send a 0dB signal to an interface without clipping. Check also the gain input settings in Reaper, some DAW defaults to -24dB

If something is too complicated, then you need to learn it better

• I also noticed, that when I turned up the rig volume, the peak in reaper showed something like -18 dB, but the output LED of the kemper was red a lot. I'm guessing this is, because my signal is very low overall and I have to crank the rig volume a lot.

when you turn up the Rig volume too much you will clip the output signal in the Profiler which is indicated by a red LED. This should be avoided by all means. Use the output volume parameter in the output menu to determine the signal level that is sent from a certain output to the inputs of your interface. Make sure to line level inputs of your interface and not the microphone or instrument ones.