What exactly does Definition (really) do?

• I know a lot of people think of the definition control as a way to balance the bass/treble of the amp. I have read that the Definition control can make amps more "vintage" at lower settings and "modern" at higher settings. So what exactly is it doing? The manual is a bit confusing the way it's worded.

From manual: Vintage amps distort the lower harmonics in the guitar signal which gives them their bluesy sound. Modern tube amps use a different approach, in which the higher overtones of the guitar strings are the driving force for the distorted sound.

By "higher overtones" does it really mean "upper harmonics"? If so this is where I wish the manual would stick with the same term just using "harmonics" and not switch to "overtones" in the same sentence"  OR Does lower settings change "harmonics", and upper settings change " higher overtones " depicted as a separate thing and not upper "harmonics"?

See this is where I get confused as I read and try to understand things literally and exactly. I think it could be written easier to understand.

So is it a correct guess that the definition control isn't simply a bass/treble balancer but as a control to select if lower or upper harmonics are distorted, latter of which which gives you the perception of more top end?  I'm curious to find out exactly what definition is really doing with the amp sound.

• Difference between harmonics and overtones aside (which I think are one and the same), I've always understood it like this:

Higher definition - more lower frequencies are rolled off before signal is being fed into the overdrive/distorting part of the signal processing;

Lower definition - less roll-off of lower frequencies, meaning the overdrive or distortion will be driven (ha ha) mostly by the lower frequencies, as these lower frequencies have more energy per "frequency band". Which can lead to muddiness if overdone.

I think of it as a tilt EQ applied to the distortion generator (for lack of better terminology).

All of the above is speculation on my part.

• that is why you try it and know what it does in the profiles

Guitar: Fender Strat HSS<3 Schecter Custom Solo II

Signal Chain: Kemper->AxeFX 3>Neural QC>Apollo Twin->M-Audio Monitors

Computer:Mac Studio

• So, harmonic and overtone indicate related, but different things.

A harmonic is, by definition (no pun) a clean multiple of the fundamental (2, 3, 4, 5.....etc). Overtones can be any frequency, so long as its above the fundamental. So, a harmonic is an overtone, but an overtone doesn't have to be a harmonic.

What I read the manual as saying is modern amps affect both harmonics and other overtones, where vintage amps distort lower-order harmonics and not necessarily overtones.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• A harmonic is, by definition (no pun) a clean multiple of the fundamental (2, 3, 4, 5.....etc). Overtones can be any frequency, so long as its above the fundamental. So, a harmonic is an overtone, but an overtone doesn't have to be a harmonic.

Good point.

Though in the description above I'd guess that both words should be "overtone", since I'd assume that an amp - vintage or modern - has no way of discerning whether something is an overtone or a harmonic.

• Good point.

Though in the description above I'd guess that both words should be "overtone", since I'd assume that an amp - vintage or modern - has no way of discerning whether something is an overtone or a harmonic.

Agreed. So I still wonder what the Kemper is doing. Affecting overtones, harmonics, or both? I like knowing the technical details as it helps my understanding when adjusting. Sure I could just "use my ears" but I like to be progressive and learn new things. That's how I got to be smart 8)

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The only people that could answer that for certain work for Kemper. As you’re aware they don’t normally answer on here.

• I agree with everything said so far. Def seems to be an EQ adjustment at the input. My guess is it rolls off the lows. And agree it could be almost a tilt eq.

Assuming it does not do a great deal more than input EQ, you could attach the Kemper to a sound card and run Room EQ Wizard on it to see the actual EQ changes.

• I agree with everything said so far. Def seems to be an EQ adjustment at the input. My guess is it rolls off the lows. And agree it could be almost a tilt eq.

Assuming it does not do a great deal more than input EQ, you could attach the Kemper to a sound card and run Room EQ Wizard on it to see the actual EQ changes.

I think a lot of people look at it as an EQ because of what it sounds like but I'm guessing that is a result of what it is doing.

I'm going with the belief that definition is adjusting if high or low harmonics (overtones?) are being selectively distorted and how much.

• If it were ‘just’ an EQ, then people would’ve been using EQs to do the same thing for ages.

At least to my ear…..that’s not what’s going on.

• If it were ‘just’ an EQ, then people would’ve been using EQs to do the same thing for ages.

At least to my ear…..that’s not what’s going on.

On second thought I suspect that you're right.

For reference, here's what the manual states in full:

...which doesn't explain much in the way of how the specific definition control relates to the sound or how it works - it first talks about the control in very vague terms, than goes on to describe the sounds of actual amps - without really linking the two (or even explaining how a profile reacts to changes to the control, higher or lower).

• ...which doesn't explain much in the way of how the specific definition control relates to the sound or how it works....

Which I suspect may be considered proprietary information.

Other than a Quad Cortex, I'm not overly familiar with the controls on a Helix of AxeFX (nor most any other digital solution).....but I've never heard anyone refer to the Definition control as "Similar to X on Y unit."

In comparison to a Profiler, the amp controls available on the Quad Cortex are rudimentary at best. I found that terribly annoying.

• I kinda recall either on here or an interview with someone from Kemper that explained it as the distortion/ harmonic thing but I haven't searched for it I was being lazy and figured some others would know.

• I've always considered the Definition as just a light-dark knob kind of like a light fixture dimmer control. Makes it easy for me to understand and apply.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.