Problem with transferring backup from Stage to head unit

• Hey all,

I have a Kemper Stage that I’ve built performances with for a few of the artists I play for. I want to be able to build a fly rig with just my expression pedals, tuner, etc. and then just backline a Kemper head and remote that I can load my performances in via USB rather than having to bring my giant board with the Kemper Stage on it. For shows this weekend I brought my Stage and had backline bring a Kemper head and remote that I could experiment with. I did a backup on my stage with the USB and then restored the backup on the head unit. All of the names of performances and slots are there but none of the stomps, amps, cabinets or amp settings transferred. Any ideas about what the issue may be? Thanks for your help!

• a USB stick backup contains all of the settings in the Profiler including rigs, presets, performances, and global settings (pedal assignments, output settings, MIDI settings etc). To successfully restore a backup you need to make sure that the target Profiler is running the same version of the operating system as the Profiler that the backup was created with.

The situation you describe could have other causes. If performance names were restored so should have been the actual rigs in those performances including the effect and amp settings. If you hear an unprocessed sound the first thing to check is if the correct output source is assigned to the output that is used for monitoring. Master Stereo or Master Mono will give you the full signal chain.

• Official Post

Backups can be exchanged between Stage and other PROFILER models in both directions. There are two items to look after:

1. Monitor Output is stereo by design at the Stage while it is normally mono (only optionally stereo) at Head/Rack. Check what is your intend, different Output Sources take affect for mono and stereo.

2. The PEDAL assignments are different. The Head has 2 sockets plus at a Remote. The Stage has 4 built in. These are not migrated automatically. You need to set these manually.

• a USB stick backup contains all of the settings in the Profiler including rigs, presets, performances, and global settings (pedal assignments, output settings, MIDI settings etc). To successfully restore a backup you need to make sure that the target Profiler is running the same version of the operating system as the Profiler that the backup was created with.

The situation you describe could have other causes. If performance names were restored so should have been the actual rigs in those performances including the effect and amp settings. If you hear an unprocessed sound the first thing to check is if the correct output source is assigned to the output that is used for monitoring. Master Stereo or Master Mono will give you the full signal chain.

The issue may have been the operating system not being the same--I do remember the backline tech mentioning that the OS may not be up to date. Yeah, only one rig transferred to the head unit from the backup for some reason, but I remember checking to make sure that the master was set to stereo as it was in my stage unit.

• Backups can be exchanged between Stage and other PROFILER models in both directions. There are two items to look after:

1. Monitor Output is stereo by design at the Stage while it is normally mono (only optionally stereo) at Head/Rack. Check what is your intend, different Output Sources take affect for mono and stereo.

2. The PEDAL assignments are different. The Head has 2 sockets plus at a Remote. The Stage has 4 built in. These are not migrated automatically. You need to set these manually.

Thanks for your reply! The output sources were the same with the stage and head, so I don't think that was the issue. I set the pedal assignments correctly, and I saw that my expression pedals were working correctly. The issue was that none of my effects (delays, reverbs, etc.) were transferred, nor were amp or cabinet settings. All of the stomp settings were blank with every performance.

• So. What's the recommended approach for this? How do you make sure the backup stick contains the right version of the OS that you can update first?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Official Post

Thanks for your reply! The output sources were the same with the stage and head, so I don't think that was the issue. I set the pedal assignments correctly, and I saw that my expression pedals were working correctly. The issue was that none of my effects (delays, reverbs, etc.) were transferred, nor were amp or cabinet settings. All of the stomp settings were blank with every performance.

Be aware that the MONITOR OUT maintains two seperate selections of Output Sources, one for mono, the other for stereo. At the Stage you only see the stereo selections since its MONITOR OUT is stereo by definition. At other models e.g. Head you see the mono selection by default. The stereo selection takes affect as soon as you activate Monitor Stereo. This takes some attention.

Since the PEDAL assignments are not migrated between Stage and other models, the fact, that your expression pedals immediately worked as expected, was pure luck.

Your terminology regarding "none of my effects were transferred" and "nor were amp or cabinet settings" is unclear. If Rigs are too new for an older OS version, these are either completely ignored at startup (these are still in memory, but don't appear in browse pool) or effects could appear as other effect types. Both are temporary issues until you upgrade the OS. If the OS is current, the Rigs will reappear in browse pool and with the correct effect types.

But if you think, your settings like for example amp settings were different e.g. Bass was higher than expected, I doubt you created a backup and restored correctly. There is no scenario where a mismatch of OS versions causes individual settings to accidentally jump.