Kemper Player: so how are we turning effects on/off?

• 4 effects max is fine with me - this is designed to be used on a pedalboard.

But I'm confused how we are turning those effects on/off.

Obviously we don't have a manual yet, but can anyone suss this out based on what we know already?

• The Kemper is an amplifier profiler.

All the extras that are included on the Kemper profile amplifier are awesome and great. But they are not really a repository of stand alone amplifier profiles any longer.

The player gives you an option to select the amplifiers that you want from the profiler repository. You load that via USB to your player which is now part of your pedal board. Your pedal board can have pre and post effects which can be arranged as needed.

This may not be for a person who depends on performances. I personally only need three or four amplifiers to cover almost any music I play which is a lot. I can navigate the effects as needed, it's more fluid for me this way. I hate being locked into predefined profiles without the ability to tweak as needed in live situations.

The Player will be and integral part of my new pedal board.

• Yes, some people will want to use the Player purely as their amp, and using pedalboard for all effects.

Other people will want to use the Player to replace many of their effects, because Kemper effects sound very good overall. And this also saves pedalboard space, which is often at a premium.

Different people will want to use it in different ways.

• Official Post

Let's focus on how to turn effect modules on/off via foot buttons at the Player.

The Player maintains the concept of the four Effect Buttons I-IIII, that you might be familiar with from Remote and Stage.

While Remote and Stage have four physical buttons, the Player maintains these virtually and you can trigger these Effect Buttons

a. via built-in foot switches assigned to this function,

b. via MIDI CC# 75-78.

By default the Player's middle foot switch is assigned to Effect Button I. So when you import a Rig from another PROFILER model, this foot switch will already perform the same tasks as the physical Effect Button I of a Remote or Stage: It could switch on/off one of the four effect modules, it could toggle up to four modules, or it could trigger an Action&Freeze comand like Rotary Speaker Speed. And like with any physical Effect Button its assigned function can vary by Rig!

If one Effect Button is not sufficient for you, you could assign a second one which limits your options to navigate through the Rigs.

You can program the Effect Buttons at the Player in a similar way as with Remote and Stage: Press and hold the foot switch with the Effect Button function and press for example the button of FX 1. Now the effect module assigned to FX 1 is also assigned to that foot switch. You could add an assignment of FX 2, so that the foot switch toggels both. Don't forget to store the Rig!

The assignments of FX 1 and FX 2, which are the basis for these Effect Button assignments, are managed via Rig Manager.

In addition you could attach an external single or dual foot switch like the KEMPER 2-way to switch effect modules e.g. modules A and DLY globally. Or you assign Bank and Rig navigation to the external foot switch and reserve the built in foot switches for Effect Button I, II, and III.

There are a few more options....

• Let's focus on how to turn effect modules on/off via foot buttons at the Player.

Thanks, this is super helpful. Yeah sounds like MIDI CC# 75-78 is going to give by far the most control. And a lot of people use MIDI controllers these days so that should work for a lot of people. And other people might just really be thinking about it as an amp + direct solution. Both great use cases.

The one thing I'll have to bone up on is using USB for midi, as I don't have any experience with that. Hoping and expecting that a regular 5-pin to USB cable will work similar to how other midi devices work.

• We have for example testet a Behringer FCB 1010 (with Uno4Kemper) connected to a Player via a cheap USB-MIDI-Interface. and found no functional limitations.

I have an RJM Mastermind GT/10. It has had a KPA preset for a long time. That said, the Kemper preset has not been updated to stay current with the KPA's new features. Considering the FCB 1010 with Uno4 Kemper works with the Profiler Player, is it likely that the MMGT will work with these basic functions?

Also, can the Profile Player connect to the Kemper Remote via a USB to MIDI host?

• Official Post

The Master Mind's Presets are just convenient starting points. The unit can be adapted to your needs leveraging all Player MIDI capabilities.

No, the Remote cannot be used with the Player. If you have the space and budget for a Player plus Remote, consider a PROFILER Stage.