What cheap(er) FRFR to use with Kemper?

• Sometime in the near future, I would like to get the Kemper.

I have tons of experience with all other modelers, but the only FRFR speaker I have used was an Alto TS112A-- which, I found somewhat boomy, with a harsh top end.

Can anyone recommend any FRFR powered/active monitors which are relatively inexpensive, which you really like the sound of in conjunction with the Kemper?

My budget would be less than $800.

Thanks!!

**Forgot to add, I would also prefer a lighter weight powered FRFR speaker, and the main types of music I play are 7 string detuned metal, Eric Johnson, David Gilmour, and Shawn Lane styles. So I'd need the speaker to NOT fart-out, but prefer a 10" speaker for lighter weight if it can handle lower tunings (AEADGBE)**

• Hmm... I think nearly everybody will recommend their own choice of speakers then.
    According to your question and your budget I can recommend the Atomic FR.
    You'll find them used for way under $ 800. Weight 21 kg. Sounds very good with the KPA.

• Thanks very much for the replies!

I didn't know if there was an "agreed upon" best cheap/best expensive FRFR speaker solution, but I'm glad to hear that a number of people all have different solutions which sound good to them.

I didn't want to splurge on the Kemper only to find out it will only sound good with a $1,000 speaker. (Which it seems from all I've read that is NOT the case!)

The Alto I had sounded AMAZING with cleans/chorus/delay sounds, but really harsh with distortion; that simply could have been the distortion pedals/cab sims I was using, though. My greatest hope is the the Kemper will produce the smooth distortion characteristics of real amps, with none of the digital buzzing/artifacts of virtually every other modeler I've owned.

• Gonna go a different way here. You have a little less than 800 bucks right? I think it would be a wise decision to maybe save a little bit longer. I know....its hard to do. (at least for me) But heres the thing. Youre investing alot of money into a guitar solution. The Kemper is AWESOME! But it is only as good as what it is ran through for live situations. When I first got mine I had a K 10. Sounded really good through it. You could probably pick up one used for 650 ish. But I decided to invest in a pro quality powered monitor. For just under 1000.00 I got the RCF 10 NX SMA. The Kemper sounds magnificent through it. Clear, punchy full. I love it.

Im sure all of the other suggestions will work just fine. But with almost 800 bucks to spend, you're so close to having a professional monitoring system for your Kemper. If you cant wait, Id suggest a used K 10.

• Gonna go a different way here. You have a little less than 800 bucks right? I think it would be a wise decision to maybe save a little bit longer. I know....its hard to do. (at least for me) But heres the thing. Youre investing alot of money into a guitar solution. The Kemper is AWESOME! But it is only as good as what it is ran through for live situations. When I first got mine I had a K 10. Sounded really good through it. You could probably pick up one used for 650 ish. But I decided to invest in a pro quality powered monitor. For just under 1000.00 I got the RCF 10 NX SMA. The Kemper sounds magnificent through it. Clear, punchy full. I love it.

Im sure all of the other suggestions will work just fine. But with almost 800 bucks to spend, you're so close to having a professional monitoring system for your Kemper. If you cant wait, Id suggest a used K 10.

I'm with Jeff here, although RCFs are hard to come by used and you might be waiting a while. If you do end up getting something else, you can most likely flip it on Craigslist in the future. Most FRFR setups in your budget will sound pretty good regardless.

• I've been using the same Behringer 2031A's since 2008. Since 2008, I played the the GNX-4, the GSP1101, the Eleven Rack and now the Kemper through them. Modelers have changed, FRFR has stayed the same. No complaints, the old Behringers have sounded great, and I scored them under $200 shipped.
    Now they sit in my 4x12 half stack shell with my Kemper on top. Great Kemper half stack!
    I don't have to go that cheap, and maybe I will upgrade, but maybe not! :thumbup:

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

Edited 2 times, last by steeldragon72 ().

• I run two RCF ART310A's as stereo and am very happy with the sound. You can buy a pair of them for approximately $800 (contact Pyle Audio), and they are approximately 32lbs each.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I have used the FBT 2 Maxx 4a cabs with my Eleven Rack and GR55 and they are awesome, but pretty expensive, Just got my Kemper haven't tried them live with it yet. Remember most guitar cabs wont produce much above 8K so don't forget your EQ

If you have a chance, check out the FBT powered monitors. I have 2-Maxx 4a that are awesome.

• Behringer 2031a's for the moment - really happy with them - plenty loud for home use. You could pick up the passive ones 2031P for around € 125-150

Im opting for passive FRFR like EH ELX 112 or Matrix CLR for live use. So I can switch to cabs as well. Awaiting funds to pull the trigger.

Still no ETA on a dual Kemper module by Matrix for max portability- maybe Bruno can chime in here - he beta-tested this module.

• Thank you all very much for your continued responses!

It is a lot to consider, because everyone will have their own unique point of view and experiences.

I am a frequent poster over at TheGearPage, and it seems with Kemper and Axe, all these guys are spending huge $$$ on monitors, and I wanted to know if you could get great sounds spending less...it seems from everyone's responses, you CAN get excellent sounds without spending so much.

Thanks again, and I will look into all your suggestions!

• Just wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. I just received the 300w version yesterday, and after 4 months of playing through tiny Alesis M1 Active USB monitors, and occassionally plugging into the effects loop of my Mesa Mark IV, I was blown away at the sounds coming out of this "cheap" stage monitor. Just wow, like falling in love with my KPA all over again. One day I'll spring for a QSC K or a QCF NX, but for now I feel like this will provide everything I need. :thumbup:

• keep the alto, buy the kemper and find out out how long you can live with that... waiting & saving is sometimes a good way to go, and matrix will start to sell their active speakers one day... or the kemper poweramp comes along, and the passive matrix speakers might be a nice fit... time will tell...