USB recording into windows causing issues. Should I just buy a Mac?

• Hey everyone,

I spent about 6 hours yesterday working with my Kemper going straight into my computer via USB to record in reaper. I've read the messageboards about downloading different drivers. Something is just not syncing up. So I tried to get protools, but it won't let me pick kemper as input and output. Long story short, I was banging my head against the wall yesterday and made zero progress.

Quick question: Should I just buy a mac and use garageband with my kemper straight into the mac with USB? I'm just trying to record guitar and need simplicity. I'd love to have DI track, stack, and wet tracks to send to my band.

Thanks for your input!

Daniel

• I myself use a MacBook Air and it works great. Easy plug & play.

But on Windows it should be doing also without problems. What drivers are you using? Asio4All?

I heard from people using Windows, that it can help to uninstall and re-install the drivers. Have you tried this?

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• No. You don't "need" a Mac. Check out this tutorial and see if it helps.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• You definitely don’t need a Mac but it will make you a better musician and a happier person all round if you dump windows and get one 🤣

Obviously, I’m just kidding but as a former Windows user who switched to Mac nearly 20 years ago I much prefer Macs. Its just like Kemper V Fractal V Quad Cortex etc…….. They are all excellent products that are fully capable of producing professional results. Some people like the workflow of one over another and each system has its own features (pros and cons) which suit different people.

If Windows works for you in all other respects you just need to troubleshoot shoot this specific issue until you find the solution.

• Well folks, if Kemper would finally deliver on the promised ASIO driver they said they would have months ago all these Windows USB issues would go away! Asio4all is our only option and has been for months. How about it Kemper, where's that ASIO driver for Windows? BTW, I have both Mac and PC here. The Mac side works great with Kemper USB but so would Windows if we had that dedicated Windows driver we were promised! Personally, I've moving away from Mac due to their continuing lock down of the hardware. I mean on the ARM machines if you loose your internal system drive Apple doesn't even allow you to boot off an external drive anymore. So your machine has suddenly turned into an expensive doorstop! That's right, your machine is now dead in the water! Come on, soldered SSD's and memory, just crazy! Can you say, planned obsolescence!

• No. You don't "need" a Mac. Check out this tutorial and see if it helps.

this was exactly what I needed. I sure appreciate you linking that for me.

• Hi guys!

I've had posts about the same topic before, but, perhaps, there are updates?

In short, I used to record from Kemper USB directly to Reaper with a new PC, and then suddenly yesterday Kemper started to deliver empty tracks. Nothing was changed..

Output section on Kemper: DI / Master Mono

Reaper Preferences, Audio System: DirectSound. Input and Output: Profiler.

Then 2 channels on Reaper, setting different Inputs per channel, - one and two.

I tried to change Audio options (DirectSound, WASAPI, WaveOut), - same result.. ASIO stopped showing Profiler as an option.

Heard about this issue? Could not find in a forum..

• Yes, pretty much. A nice tutorial, btw! I had used ASIO4ALL, but then there were some more issues with sound. I need to retry Asio4All, since I got a new PC, but I have had issues with it previously..

In the tutorial you suggest Asio, but you write that you use WASAPI, - why is that? I think, it used to work with WASAPI for me, but stopped, - is it instable with Kemper?

• Yes, pretty much. A nice tutorial, btw! I had used ASIO4ALL, but then there were some more issues with sound. I need to retry Asio4All, since I got a new PC, but I have had issues with it previously..

In the tutorial you suggest Asio, but you write that you use WASAPI, - why is that? I think, it used to work with WASAPI for me, but stopped, - is it instable with Kemper?

It was to show that you don't need ASIO4all with windows PC and the WASAPI driver works fine. You can use either one. I can't remember off-hand but you might have to go into the ASIO settings to make sure it's configured properly for the input and output functions.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.