Is it the profile or kemper?

• I believe yes, there are also good chances that after profiling, swapping cabs with the KPA ones, it will sound better then the original.

I need to figure out how to do this.....and with the kemper toneage ........!!!! Any clue how I might go about profiling the pod?

• What do you mean? How to connect it? Guitar > KPA front input, KPA send > XT front input, XT main out (mono) > KPA return, KPA main outs > monitors.

Switch all time based fx, mod, comp and noisegate off ( on the xt ), set the send and return levels so that XT and KPA are not clipping and press Profile.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• What do you mean? How to connect it? Guitar > KPA front input, KPA send > XT front input, XT main out (mono) > KPA return, KPA main outs > monitors.

Switch all time based fx, mod, comp and noisegate off ( on the xt ), set the send and return levels so that XT and KPA are not clipping and press Profile.

I meant how to connect it, which you stated above. Sorry man, my brain is about fried right now......so many profiles, so many tones, not enough rest! lol
    My ears need a break, but the rest of me wants to play!!!

Thanks for your help bro!

• the artificial harmonics on the Profiler are just fine. I use these a lot.
    If a modeler makes it seem easier, then that's probably due to the highly compressed nature of these devices.

artificial harmonics are all about technique, if properly executed you can get them on an acoustic guitar - no problem.
    The concept that a certain amount of gain or even certain amps are needed to pull these off is initially flawed.

• Same here... I get all the harmonics on the KPA as usual, absolutely no difference to PodXT, X3, HD, real JCM etc.

If you could post a comparison clip, we might be able to pin down the problem.

• the artificial harmonics on the Profiler are just fine. I use these a lot.
    If a modeler makes it seem easier, then that's probably due to the highly compressed nature of these devices.

artificial harmonics are all about technique, if properly executed you can get them on an acoustic guitar - no problem.
    The concept that a certain amount of gain or even certain amps are needed to pull these off is initially flawed.

I agree with most of what you said, technique is very important. However, to say gain or amps don't make a difference is like saying guitars, pickups etc don't make a difference. All these things are an important part of tone.

• In many occasions we have checked harmonics during an A/B comparison. Always sounded equal.
    However, send clips!

But when you did the a/b comparison you were you using amp and studio monitors, correct? So kind of what I'm thinking is the KPA frequencies don't really deliver through headphones.

• You must compare apples to apples. You cannot seriously expect the KPA to have the same frequency response through headphones as a guitar cab.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• You must compare apples to apples. You cannot seriously expect the KPA to have the same frequency response through headphones as a guitar cab.

I'm curious....what technical reason would quality monitors with superior frequency range not reproduce frequencies originally produced via a single cone instrument speaker? I am sure the response curve is different but shouldn't the KPA handle translating this?

bd

• I'm sure Jay at TGP has an answer to this, lol! I'm not a speaker expert, don't know why, but I know that it is different.

• But when you did the a/b comparison you were you using amp and studio monitors, correct? So kind of what I'm thinking is the KPA frequencies don't really deliver through headphones.

As a general rule remember that you need tons of gain and compression to get, using headphones, the same sounds you get witha speaker (frfr or not).
    I have discovered that lately after i bought my DB FM10.
    Way more present, bassy, sustained sound than with just headphones, and way less gain/compression/boost used.

If you want to try that with the phones maybe you can try by putting a pure boost and/or setting an higher compression value in the amp settings.

• As a general rule remember that you need tons of gain and compression to get, using headphones, the same sounds you get witha speaker (frfr or not).
    Way more present, bassy, sustained sound than with just headphones, and way less gain/compression/boost used.

If you want to try that with the phones maybe you can try by putting a pure boost and/or setting an higher compression value in the amp settings.

.... which does no mean that the headphone does something different in terms of dynamics or frequency responce. It is just the way it is listened to. Very close to the ear and with no real room reflections from the walls of your room. The perception of the ear and brain is different.
    This is why everybody recomments not to mix recordings with headphone as the sole monitor.

• As a general rule remember that you need tons of gain and compression to get, using headphones, the same sounds you get witha speaker (frfr or not).

Yeah I noticed a difference as I picked up a pair of monitors, nothing as far as needing more gain but most of the profiles aren't that good. And the problem for that is these profiles are created for the one person, the person profiling. So in their home or studio with their gear, it probably does sounds awesome to them. But what works for them might not work for me. As for the harmonics not coming through as good as my pod patch (most likely the compression), they do sound better with studio monitors, a lot better actually.

And because I was really thinking about returning the kemper because I was wanting more of a "amp in the room" tone, I decided to try to profile my own Bogner amp. It wasn't spot on ( missing some fullness or something) it sounded like my Bogner! I was actually impressed because all I did was slap the mic up to the speaker, listened for a minute...yup that's good enough, and profiled. So taking more time might fill in the gap. ;)

But to sum it all up even though I'm probably coming across like I'm knocking down the kemper...I'm not! It does sound really good, but I think I was expecting the "amp in the room" tone. Therefore thing's aren't sounding like they should to me. Great unit though, light years ahead of the rest, big props. Right now I'm undecided ...to keep or return. Maybe I'm being unrealistic........ :whistling:

• If you want the "amp in the room", then get an poweramp and cab and you'll have it. Lots of people here are very happy about it

• If you want the "amp in the room", then get an poweramp and cab and you'll have it. Lots of people here are very happy about it

I guess what I was referring to was the actual tone of each amp, as it sounds in a room or studio. IMO, unless something isn't set right, the Bogner xtc for example doesn't sound remotely close to the real amp. As we all know each amp has it's own character, which can't be mistaken for any other amp. I don't hear that through headphones or studio monitor speakers. That's the reason for me buying this unit, so I can scroll through a list of amps and it would sound as if I had the amp sitting right in front of me. It's not the pushing of air, but again the character of the amp I'm not hearing.