Adjusting Amp Volume versus Rig Volume

• I've always used the Rig Volume knob on the front to adjust the volumes of each of my rigs to make sure they're the same level. I just noticed in the manual that it says it's best to NOT use the Rig Volume for this purpose and to use the Amp Volume parameter instead. Can anyone explain why? I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go through all my rigs and set the rig volume back to zero and adjust them using Amp Volume, but I'm not sure what the advantage would be. Also, if I were to do this, are these 2 volumes 1:1? Meaning, if I turn the Rig Volume down by 1.5, I can then just turn the Amp Volume up by 1.5 and it'll get the rig back to the same volume?

• Same here. I adjust my volume via rig volume, too.

Second way to match the difference in volume, especially between clean and distorted sounds is, by using the Clean Sens parameter in the input section.

Kemper Stage - Macbook Air 2017 - macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Logic Pro X

• I've always used the Rig Volume knob on the front to adjust the volumes of each of my rigs to make sure they're the same level. I just noticed in the manual that it says it's best to NOT use the Rig Volume for this purpose and to use the Amp Volume parameter instead. Can anyone explain why? I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to go through all my rigs and set the rig volume back to zero and adjust them using Amp Volume, but I'm not sure what the advantage would be. Also, if I were to do this, are these 2 volumes 1:1? Meaning, if I turn the Rig Volume down by 1.5, I can then just turn the Amp Volume up by 1.5 and it'll get the rig back to the same volume?

I apply the same method to set the volume level between performances or rigs.

In order to boost the signal level for a solo, or when the guitar is in the mix too low, the reccomandation ( from a Thomas Dill video ) was to use a ... guess what? .. booster efect or a compressor with a higher volume, or the amp volume rather than raising the rig Volume. You can use the morph for achieving that.

Previously I used the morph and raised the Rig Volume ( and eventually the gain ) for the solos, but I think it is better to leave the rig volume unchanged during a song. It seems the sound engineers don't like when you raise it. :)

Anyhow this was not what you asked for, I just gave my too bits here.

• It is my understanding that Amp and Rig volume are 1:1 clean volume adjustments the only difference is where they are in the signal path and therefore the effect they have on effects downstream. You can easily test this by copying the same rig to two slots in a performance. Change the volume of one by say 3db using Amp Volume and the other using Rig Volume. There should be no difference when you switch between them while playing. Now put a compressor or boost/Od AFTER the Stack section. If you boosted the amp volume the compressor or boost will be working much harder than if you boosted the rig volume. The two rigs should now sound different when switching between them.

I would tend to use Rig volume instead of Amp volume as the results are predictable whereas changes to the Amp volume will vary depending on the effects after the Stack. Save Amp volume for creating specific effects by driving downstream FX harder rather than volume adjustments.

EDIT:

I spent some time today playing with this and confirm my understanding appears to be correct. Try making a Performance as above but in Slot 1 Reduce the Amp gain by 5db AND increase the Rig Gain by 5db to compensate. In slot 2 reverse these numbers. As you change performance slots there should be no difference in sound. However, add an OD in a post Stack slot and lock this so that it applies the same settings to each slot. Now the performance with increased Amp Volume is much quieter and the on with reduced Amp volume but increase Rig volume is much louder.

As I have said previously, I believe this only matters for FX that are volume sensitive (Boost, OD, Compressor) but I can't hear any difference in the sound of Delay and Reverb tails regardless of which option is used. I tried this again today and even went as far as turning the Mix knob to 100% Wet. They sounded the same to me.