Liquid profiles!

• Unfortunately, you can’t unless the profile maker labels it in some way. Some people put an identifier in the name like LP Marshall……/ etc. Some mention it in the comments field. A liquid profile will show the specific Amp name on the EQ area of the Amp block (otherwise it will show Kemper Generic) but it is also possible for an amp eq to be added to a traditional profile without making it an “authentic” liquid profile. There is no full proof way of telling I’m afraid.

• The way I understand it is that all profiles past and present are technically liquid profiles if you replace the 'generic' tone stack with a liquid one from the list. I'm under the impression that profiles do not need to be profiled as liquid or that that process matters. If this is in fact the case, it might make sense to add a field in RM that would display the currently chosen tonestack so that the user could sort that way.

• Think of it this way. Everything is liquid now all you have to do is change the amp model under amplifier. But if you want to know which ones have been liquified just click on Amplifier and if it doesn't say Kemper generic than its a liquid profile.

• Oh no!!!
    Surely an oversight?
    I can't be the first one to ask this, right.
    Is there such a thing as a feature request/suggestion thing for Kemper?

Not an oversight. Just the difference between utopia and the real world.

Unfortunately there is nothing Kemper can do about it. It is up to the person making the profile to accurately fill out the meta data fields. Kemper have no way to make sure this is done correctly. Even if they added a "Liquid Profile" field it would still be filled out wrongly by many profile makers. A similar thing happened when they launched Merged Profiles. People claimed to be making Merged Profile when in actual fact they were just sticking a Direct Profile and an IR or Cabinet preset together. Merged Profiles are a specific type of Rig which need two profiles of the same amp at the same setting then subtracts one from the other to leave only the cabinet which can be turned on and off without the system trying to estimate how much of the sound is coming from the amp and how much is coming from the cabinet. In the same way an authentic Liquid Profile requires the profiler to set the amp controls to match the values on the Kemper at the time of profiling so that the resulting profile performs exactly like the real amount would when knobs are adjusted. Therefore, it is all down to the person profiling to set this correctly and record it accurately. Kemper have no way of policing this.

• If I'm not mistaken, in the AMP section of the editor you will see if the tonestack is generic or 1 of the 40 generated models. Otherwise for the purposes of going by profile name, the created would need to add LP, as I've seen most of the commercial creators do.

• If I'm not mistaken, in the AMP section of the editor you will see if the tonestack is generic or 1 of the 40 generated models. Otherwise for the purposes of going by profile name, the created would need to add LP, as I've seen most of the commercial creators do.

Sort of.

It is possible to add a tonestack from the list of amps which theoretically makes it a Liquid Profile. Even adding a tonestack from a different amp (say a Vox AC30 on a Mesa Rectifier profile) would technically be a Liquid Profile. However, unless you use the correct (or similar) tonestack and know the positions of all the knobs when the amp was actually profiled it won’t behave the real amp so isn’t really a liquid profile as such.

For example, let’s assume I load a great sounding profile of a Fender Deluxe. The profile was originally made with the amp gain on 7, bass on 0, mids on 3 and treble cranked to 10. This would be a killer tone on a real Deluxe. The Kemper Generic tonestack records all the values as 0.0 and the gain knob still corresponds to Kemper’s generic gain scale.

Without knowing this information I decide to add a Fender Deluxe tone stack from the list of amp models.

Now 5 on the bass will represent 0 on the real amp so I will be able to remove even more bass than I ever could with the real amp but no matter what I do I will never be able to get as much bass as I could with the real amp either.

The treble control which was set at 10 while profiling, but now shows 5 in the Kemper, will be able to add way more treble than the real amp ever could but never be able to reduce it to the same level as a real Deluxe.

The gain knob will bear no relation to the actual amount of gain a Deluxe would produce at any given number. I recently purchased a Dumble Overdrive Special Liquid Profiles. The gain knob on the clean channel can be set to around 5 and it still registers as 0 on Kemper’s generic gain scale. i.e. this is a super clean amp. Even with the Gain on the actual amp at 10 the clean channel is still only lightly breaking up. Unless the gain knob is correctly calibrated with the actual amp’s settings the resulting “liquid profile” might be capable of behaving like a JCM800 with the gain knob dimed. Again not really desirable behaviour if the user expects the Liquid Profile to accurately represent the real amp. In this pack the tone stack settings were matched using a Fender Bassman Tonestack (which is very close to a real Dumble but not exactly the same). Because the values were calibrated during profiling I would still class this as a fair representation of a Liquid Profile as it behaves very much like the real amp.

This might all sound great (or it might not) but it certainly wouldn’t be a Fender Deluxe. Technically this could be a called a Liquid Profile but I don’t think that would be helpful to anyone and would only add further confusion.

• Of course is someone just liquifies a pre captured profile w/o mentioning it, it would not be accurate. Under perfect conditions, hopefully the creator would disclose this, if it were the case.

Yes I agree that “under perfect conditions” but on reality that is often not the case sometimes through laziness, sometimes disingenuous and sometimes because they don’t know any better. In reality Kemper can’t control this which brings it back to the lack of a Liquid Profile indentifier (as with the lack of a Merged Profile) isn’t an oversight but just accepting reality.