Player excessive buzz with hi gain when USB Midi controller plugged in

• Have an interesting issue.

I have my profiler alongside a HX FX unit. Since I can't get the midi control working with a USB A -> B cable from HX to Player I bought a USB to Midi DIN, and this works fine.

The issue is that with the midi adaptor plugged in, I get incredible noise with higher gain rigs. I can use the noise gate to mitigate it but never had such an issue before. I've tried the Player in a FX loop on the HX, before the HX, after the HX, even completely disconnected from the HX (apart from the midi cable) with the same result.

I've also tried different PSUs and cables, nothing seems to make a difference.

Any ideas? Thank you!

• Could sound like a faulty/too low quality midi adaptor? How is it powered?

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• Thanks. Still no luck. Crazy that connecting midi or USB between the devices causes this. Unplugged it’s perfect. Very irritating.

I have a TONEX which I connect the same way without this effect, so some grounding issue between HX and Player I guess.

• Quite possibly, but don’t get this when connected to a TONEX.

I have the HX FX out connected to Player input, and player output to monitors. With no midi connection or USB MIDI connection there is zero noise. If I connect either a USB to DIN connector or a USB A to B between the HX and the Player, I get the buzz, so it’s not uniquely MIDI DIN. Tried different PSUs, even tried it at the rehearsal rooms, the same thing happens.

The other way to remove the noise is to remove the 1/4 cable between HX and Player. I’ve also tried changing this cable in case it was dodgy. Something seemingly about earthing the two I guess.

Any other tests scenarios happily received! Thanks!

• With a USB to MIDI DIN cable (but the same thing happens join the 2 with a USB A to B cable…)

Keep this in mind also when troubleshooting. If the same thing indeed happens in an even simpler setup.

Kemper PowerRack |Kemper Stage| Rivera 4x12 V30 cab | Yamaha DXR10 pair | UA Apollo Twin Duo | Adam A7X | Cubase DAW
    Fender Telecaster 62 re-issue chambered mahogany | Kramer! (1988 or so...) | Gibson Les Paul R7 | Fender Stratocaster HBS-1 Classic Relic Custom Shop | LTD EC-1000 Evertune | 1988 Desert Yellow JEM

• I suspect it's a ground loop on the Helix side. It's a known problem with the Helix getting ground loops using the usb in some scenarios. I myself have a Helix LT, and when connecting to both usb and a poweramp, I had similar problems. I ended up buying the iFi iDefender+, which solved all my problems. A little expensive, but for me it worked. Just a tips, could be something else entirely. 🙂

• HI all, just bumping this up again to see if anyone has any other ideas? I still have this buzz issue (that I'm living with by using the noise gate). I've tried multiple midi to USB adaptors with exactly the same issue as before.

I've even bought an adaptor which others assure me they don't get buzz :) so I'll be happy to admit I've screwed something up, but I have a lot of gear and the only time I hit buzz is between the HX FX and the Kemper Player. As mentioned elsewhere, I also used the HX FX with a TONEX without issue.

Thanks!