Guitar modeling like Variax

• azertyvince

Changed the title of the thread from “Guitar sim like Variax” to “Guitar modeling like Variax”.
  • Don't know much about that unit, but there are 2 used listings. I wouldn't call that 'so many'

There are more used available on ebay and aliExpress. Not counting the fact that these are relatively cheaply made low quality pedals made in China.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• There are more used available on ebay and aliExpress. Not counting the fact that these are relatively cheaply made low quality pedals made in China.

I don't know about the technology employed, but as for construction? They may be inexpensive, but 'low-quality' they aren't.

As for Mooer, their Trelicopter and Blues Crab are dirt cheap....and very well regarded. Definitely derivative designs.....but so are most pedals.

“Without music, life would be a mistake.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

• I had a Variax with my Helix LT. of course, this couple is fantastic cause you increase your versatility possibilities.

I could start a song with a sitar, an acoustic guitar and jump to a Fender Strat detune to a Lespaul just with a press on a footswitch (per snapshot).

The drawback is that you're linked to ONE guitar, this one has to be supplied by a battery, or an ethernet cable (in the L6 case) and i play wireless....

At the end, i found some sounds fake, don't know....

I can obtain a lot of Variax sounds via my Kemper. there's the transpose feature if i want to detune, i have a HSH guitar if i want to play single coil or humbuckers, there's an excellent guitar simulation. I haven't tried it yet but i'm sure i could have a 12 strings guitar with some FXs/setups....

IMO, it's better to have integrated sims to play with (it could be good to have synth/dobro/banjo sims :thumbup: ;) )

• Awhile back I had a variax 500 with the pod hd500x and dt25. The possibilities were really cool with everything working in unison but I never really bonded with the feel of the variax. Wish they had made a lefty tyler version.

• I had a Variax 500, HD500X and DT25 too. Except my Variax was transplanted into a G&L Telecaster. It was great, it did alternate tunings, acoustic, single coils, humbuckers.... All really nicely talking to each other and made playing live simple, whilst looking wonderful, and to the audience, old school.

But in the end, I just liked coming back to other guitars more. It was a wonderful learning that for all the debunking of tone wood, pickup and finish myths, having a guitar that you lust over is massively important.