wah kemper: incredible! now a question

• as per the subject, I decided to give a shot to the wah in the KPA. after reading some threads I found it incredible. Now I have a bad horsie 2 wah which I want to copy the sound and then I'm going to sell it.

besides, the kemper wah has 2 imperative advantages compared with the wah pedals:

1) the effect can be mixed so that I hear how much wah I desire. as far as I know no wah pedal can have it mixed and
    2) the on/off function can be programmed. I'm using on/off at stopping moving my feet: absolutely fantastic!

now the question:
    I'm using an expression pedal linked to my rocktron all access. I just assigned CC#1 to this pedal and worked like charm. I see though a small lag, something like 1 second (maybe less) when stopping to move my foot. since I was not sure to have my foot really stopped I always press the pedal to the toe position. this way I'm positive I don't move my foot.

do you think the small lag is due to the pedal linked to the pedalboard........?

anyways, the lag might be normal: the morley has it as a setting (the lag can be set up to 5 seconds after the pedal has stopped moving).

do you reckon if I connect the expression pedal directly to the kemper the lag should go?

all the best

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• add ww as an effect in stomp box
    press ww button,
    you will get to the page with ww functions : off,bypas@stop, heel,toes etc ..
    try them all, and than obviously choose what is good for you 8)

I'm afraid that small lag will still stays if you connect exp. pedal directly to the Kemper .
    Here is what CK says about the similar problem ,it seems you can decrease it a bit :

http://kemper-amps.com/forum/i…page=Thread&threadID=6234

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Hi there
    just to confirm from my KPA. I sold my wah pedals :) The Kemper Wah can mimick to 100% e.g., a CryBaby. I was not able to hear any difference (and I am very picky.)

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• ok......thanks to everyone for the partecipation.

@ CKemper: I thought about that and it is in no way an issue since, as I mentioned in the opening, even the Morley has it as a feature.

it is anyway a minimal lag which is totally ok.

all I wanted to make sure, and now I did, is that there were no differences in plugging the expression pedal into the pedalboard or into the Kemper expression pedal jacks.

of course, for live use, I prefere to plug the pedals in the pedalboard so that fewer cables cross the stage: just the guitar and the midi cable...........

thumbs up for the wah quality and the features around it.

I'm especially in love with the mix feature which allow me to use the wah in various manners. with traditional wah pedals it is impossible to have it but as a full sound effect. instead, I was always looking to add just a wah flavour to some solos........now I can............

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

• great........thanks for the clarification............

anyone wants a morley wah? I'm already well served by my beautiful kemper machine!!

all the best

michael

• Did you tune kempers wah settings or just use factory presets (crybaby etc.)? If tuned, your settings would be appreciated. Put 'em here man :)

• Hi Penatuna...........

I just dialed in the setting found on a past thread. CKemper suggested the following setting:

Manual 3.4
    Peak 7.5
    Pedal Range 31 %
    Peak Range -43 %

... Cry Baby ...

the thread is here:

http://kemper-amps.com/forum/i…pageNo=4&highlight=wahwah

hope this helps

m

edit: I don't know why the link to the mentioned thread is not working..............
    anyways, go the the section share your tips and tricks and search for the word wahwah.......it should come a thread by the name of 'the wahwah is incredible. read it, it is very usefull.........

• Thx that are great settings :)

• yes indeed............which of course works ok for other wah brands too.

what I mean is that Christoph mentioned these settings as crybaby. when I tested it it sounded like my bad horsie.

the sound is in the hand....or better in the foot in this case. it might sound controversial but it is like this: the sound is in your hand.

believe it or not but about 5 years ago I produced the second clinic of Steve Vai in Italy and had the chance to hang out with him for some days and learn a tton of things just by talking one on one with him.

of course, during the clinic, he had to play in fron of 400 students and asked me if I had an overdrive to use with his legacy. I didn't have it but told him I had a vox wah.

he accepted it and the vox sounded just like his bad horsie while he was playing.

in addition to that, during the clinic Steve told use a story which happened at the time he was going in tour with Zappa. He prepared the rig (carvin x100b and a ton of other stuff). Eddie Van Halen went to say hello to him and to see his Zappa tour rig. Steve offered Eddie to try it while he was going into another room.

when Steve was out of the studio he heard his rig sounding like Eddie's sound. so he run scared into the room and asked Eddie what did he change in the amps settings since he didn't take notes on them. Eddie said he didn't touch anything and all the rig was like Steve had set it.

overall, when a wah has a decent setting like the one we got, it should sound like we want it..............

michael

• yepp, I've seen and heard it myself when a great player (IA Eklundh playing a small Gorilla amp) makes a cheap rig sound wonderful. very much in the hands of the player.

• definitely!

might sound controversial but playing guitar it is a body experience. I consider it one of the most physical music instrument around, especially when it has been played for many years.

it attaches to your body and transmits all the vibrations to your body............

this said, it is obvious that the sound coming out from an amp has to do with the body of the player............

it happened to me since 20 years ago, the same thing as Steve Vai told in the mentioned clinic: I am 46 and have played guitar since year 6, so it makes a round 40 years managing this instrument.

some 20 years ago I started experiencing some strange things: no matter what pick up I used, no matter the strings, the pedals, and so on, but even no matter the amplifier I plug into, I always had more or less the same sound, which was the one I felt comfortable.

at first I considered it as a limit, anyways something that I thought it was bad.

so I decided to buy the Triaxis which was considered as the most versatile pre amp on the market at that days. it has 2 clean sounds and 6 distorted sound to dig in.

results? no matter what sound I worked, could it be blues or heavy, the sound was always the same meat..............

of course kemper followed the same path, only this time my sound got better and better with it..........

clearly, lot of people wouldn't agree with this statement............but once they reach the possession of their guitar they'll know what I mean.............

michael

• no.......I was the chief instructor at Lizard, Fiesole for some 12 years. and Lizard got Steve Vai to do the clinic back then. if I don't get wrong the magazine Chitarre was on of thre sponsor of the event.

anyways, I'm not involved with no one.................except with my kemper :love: