Cannot get a great sound on stage

• Hi there folks, I love the Kemper in studio . I have tried it on stage a twice now and I cannot get a good sound. I take the XOR outputs straight into the board . I monitor the sound via in ears. It sounds scratchy and buzzy in the in ears. Through the pa it's not too bad, although it does sound a bit crappy there too.. What am I doing wrong guys.? I love this unit and really want to get it happening on stage... Pls help,!
    Thank you for reading my post

• Here's my experience:
    i was using the KPA exactly like you do, direct into the mixer and monitoring thru IEM's.
    The overall sound was nice but not over the top, and consider that I was preparing my patches with my Yamaha MSP-5 studio monitor.
    My preset suffered of:
    -too much gain
    -too many mids e almost no bass.

This was given by the fact that i was preparing the patches to a low volume thru my average monitors.
    The higher the volume, the less gain you'll use. And, obviously, if you prepare your patches in an environment which is "live-like" you get a more accurate final result.
    So i bought a 200w powered monitor (DB Flexsys FM10): not very powerful but i got a huge step in the overall sound.
    It helps me while i prepare my patches, since it gives me more volume from a 10 inches speaker, which is more "lively" than a 5" one.
    And it moves air. When a cab moves air, your guitar strings and body will move too, giving a fuller and a more "real" sound.

I don't need a very powerful cab since i keep on monitoring thru IEMs, in the end it's just a monitor for my guitar to let her ear herself :D

• Hmm - I know this problem too. But havn't found a good solution yet.

But "scratchy and buzzy" sounds a bit like a technical, level selection problem, not so much a problem of taste or adapting your patches to the situation. Or maybe you forgot to untick the "Monitor Cab Off" softswitch? This happened to me recently.

What I will try next time is to send two signals to the mixing guy: the Main Out for FOH and the Monitor Out for Monitoring. That way I have some more control over the EQ in the Monitor.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• Thx guys.
    I think a better way to put it( sound wise) ,what I'm hearing in the in ears is as if I had plugged my Guit into a stomp overdrive pedal,then straight into the mixing board. When I was running my hd500 and the Gt100 the same way, the result in my ears was very much like he sound coming through the FOH . That's is what is so puzzling for me.

I see where you're going with the powered monitor ,but then I may as well just lug my amp along.

I'm thinking of portability, gigging out of town and having minimal gear to fly with. I hate rocking up at the gig and the sound hire company hasn't followed our tech rider and supplies me with an amp I'm not satisfied with or hate.

I should try the cab off and send another cable to the board and use that line for monitoring , but then I'm not hearing the amp simulation.

I'm sorry for being painfully annoying with this issue but I would really like to get the Kemper firing at gigs.

Thx a mill guys

• I have also made sure that there were no gain staging issues as far as hot signals in and out are concerned.

I have another question,how do I activate the fx loop. I have he correct cabling done , now just need to get the loop active.

Thank you once again

• ... what I'm hearing in the in ears is as if I had plugged my Guit into a stomp overdrive pedal,then straight into the mixing board.
    I should try the cab off

Monitor Cab Off in the Output section should be unticked. That's a bit confusing. Two times negative (Cab Off switched off) makes: the cab is activated. So then there is a cab sim in the Monitor Out signal. Also the Cabinet button in the Stack section should be lit up so that the cab is activated in all the different outputs. This might explain what you are hearing if you by accident just touched the Cab button there. Then all of a sudden the speaker simulation dissapears and it sounds like what you described.

I have another question,how do I activate the fx loop. I have he correct cabling done , now just need to get the loop active.

Push and hold one of the Stomp or X or MOD buttons and turn the Type wheel all way down to the end. Then there is LOOP MONO, LOOP STEREO and a LOOP DISTORTION to choose from. The Jacks for Send and Return are only active, when you choose a LOOP in these effects places.

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

Edited once, last by fretboardminer ().

• Thank you very much for your help fretboardminder.. I will check that out. I'm holding thumbs that this will solve my issue.

• Live I send the master output stereo to the mixer (Yamaha FS9) and get the monitor signal back to my IEMs (Audio Technica M 3 with EP3 Earphones).
    1) The guitar sound (over PA AND IEM) is much better than it was with the HD500 (and X3live) before.
    2) But maybe there is an adaption issue. When I played clean rigs with the middle positon of my Ibanez RGR465 there was a clipping.
    [I have programmed all rigs so that there is no clipping at all neither over the LEDs nor over headphones at the KPA itself]
    I reduced master output on the KPA from -27 to -64 dB (master volume about middle position) an this reduced the clipping but I was afraid of getting it again
    when playing stronger...
    Our technician said he wouldn't have a clipping on the mixer input. I could not test the PA sound at this moment.

Does anyone has a clue or suggestion what could be done to get rid of that clipping problem?

By the way - the limiter in the M 3 is turned off.

?(

• ,what I'm hearing in the in ears is as if I had plugged my Guit into a stomp overdrive peda

Yeah - that's actually exactly the "no cab sim sound" ;) I had that problem, too. I brought my brand new KPA to the gig (when it wasn't even released !!!) and told everyone how great it sounds.... then I went to PA and it sound like shit and everybody was like "yeah, digital crap blahblah" - until I figured out the problem 15mins later :D:D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• There's something wrong here, but I'm not sure what it is...I don't think it has anything to do with the cab sims being 'off'.

One question to 'patsy' (is this you, Mark?)
    How does your Kemper sound through headphones, either direct from the Kemper headphone output or monitored through headphones in your studio?

Surely "in ears" should sound similar to the headphone sound?

• @Francodimio: there are several things which might be the cause of your clipping.
    If there's non clip in the mixer input the problem might be:
    a) the aux out from the mixer: too high level causing a clipping in the mixer out gain stage. I was issuing it when i was using our Behringer DDX. It has only a little headroom and it quickly get clipping with a low volume.
    b) the input of your IEM system. Do you use a wireless system and/or a headphone amplifier/mixer? Try lowering the input gain and then regulate your volume from the master.

• fretboardminer quote : Monitor Cab Off in the Output section should be unticked. That's a bit confusing. Two times negative (Cab Off switched off) makes: the cab is activated. So then there is a cab sim in the Monitor Out signal. Also the Cabinet button in the Stack section should be lit up so that the cab is activated in all the different outputs. This might explain what you are hearing if you by accident just touched the Cab button there. Then all of a sudden the speaker simulation dissapears and it sounds like what you described .....

Hey Frbminer , :D
    are you saying one should not tick the "cab off" for playing through the real amp and real cab , because minus times minus is equal plus (positive, active ) ???
    now, this is confusing to me as well???
    If I leave it unticked - there is huge impact on sound coming from the (changing of ) cabs
    If I tick it , there is still an impact , but not so big as above.

So, is there anyone who can tell me what is the point here ?
    Does the "cab off" function works or not for you ??
    I find out that only when switching off the full cab (button) section gives the results, ie. no impact of Kemper cabs to the sound of my real amp and real cab .
    Thanks

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

• Hey Frbminer , :D are you saying one should not tick the "cab off" for playing through the real amp and real cab , because minus times minus is equal plus (positive, active ) ???

No. This thread is about in ear monitoring.

www.audiosemantics.de