Can anyone confirm whether this technique is currently useful...

• Sure, as the author of said post I can confirm that recording with a DAW is only current way to actually A/B in isolation during profiling. Which is why I posted this request : Profile Looper Tool some time ago.

You don't have to re-amp a dry track, you can just noodle and record that result, I just prefer to have an identical track to really hear the nuance and differences. But what the DAW gets from the Kemper is the same signal that you hear when you press the A/B buttons, so that means you record the KPA direct tone, and pressing the button you'll then be recording the real amp + mic signal chain, which makes it a little more convenient than having to route both through your interface and record that way.

If you don't do this then what will happen is you will either hear the amp in the room in the background unless you have it at the far end of the building and you can't hear it at all under normal circumstances without the mic feed, which will throw you off when comparing a vs b as it's low frequencies and general sound, muffled or not will mask the frequencies that you're hearing from your monitors. This means there's a greater chance of ending up with an inaccurate profile that may be severely lacking at the bottom end of things.

If the Kemper had my suggestion of a looper that could be used to record the real amp signal + a dry signal to re-amp and playback/switch between then it would be redundant as you could sit there with it looping while you don't have to play, tweak away to your hearts content, till then for Joe Average who doesn't have total 100% isolation with no bleed at all from his amp it's still very much a necessity, and even for those that do I'm sure they'd appreciate being able to go hands free from the guitar while they're tweaking the sound to match. So what I suggest with the DAW sort of allows that workflow, just not as convenient and totally useless for someone out in the field that wants to profile without a computer and interface around.