Cab Maker

• So I just saw the announcement about Cab Maker and have a question: some people have developed IRs of other instruments like acoustic guitars, resonator guitars, etc., and even oddball objects like tin cans. Does Cab Maker manipulate IRs in a way that would alter the sound of these types of IRs?

• Yeah... if it works properly, experimentation can be endless... Wonder how non-cab files will resolve when used as a cab in the KPA. Convolution reverbs, instruments... OMG 8o

• You would think an IR is an IR so it should work.

Using Space Designer in Logic Pro, there are all sorts of non-reverb IRs I have used. Everything from speaker cabs to microphones, and the things you mention. They don't function any differently from the reverb IR so, I would think it would work.

Obviously some stuff won't sound good with an amp's preamp in front of it though. I haven't tried it but, can you disable the Amp and the EQ and just leave the cabinet on? (I'm not near my Kemper at the moment). If so, you could use a nice microphone IR and plug in an acoustic and it would sound better than an "acoustic amp." That's what I do in Logic--turns the acoustic's piezo pickup into more of a mic'd room sound. Nice stuff. If we could do that with the Kemper it would be flat out awesome! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

J

Edit: to clarify, I like to use the piezo output direct into the DAW, then add Space Designer with a microphone IR, which essentially makes the acoustic sound mic'd. That would be cool to do in the Kemper.

• The second part of your post is what I was thinking of. Will a non-cab IR be musical when placed in the cab "slot"?

BTW, yes, you can disable everything lit from the front panel ^^
    You might also want to experiment with the new acoustic rigs.

• Yeah, if Cab Maker just changes the original IR into a format the Kemper can read without changing the sonic characteristics of it, then anything should be possible.

I don't know why it would, otherwise what would be the point of importing an IR if Cab Maker changes it significantly?

I'm still chicken to try to the 1.6 beta because of the massive thread of people complaining about it! But, I don't have a gig for a while so might have to try it.

J

• Mhhh... on one hand, I wonder how the IR of - say - an acoustic guitar body will work when placed as a cab in a KPA rig. 8|
    On the other hand, I wonder how CM works: while it can create a KPA cab starting from a cab IR, I've no clue about how it will treat - say - a cathedral reverb, since what it expects is a cab.
    IOW, since KPA's cabs and IRs are not isomorphic (mathematically speaking), something is possibly been added and stripped away in the process. While this process has been tested (and designed) for a cab, we (I) still don't know how it will work with other kinds of IRs. If it does it well, well... my head is wheeling already :!:

• I need some explaining.

I got Cab Maker onto my Macbook. Followed the links to IR's. Opened their zips, imported them into Cab Maker 1.0, converted them. Put them into my Share folder. Imported them into the Kemper.

Ok, where are they? I don't see them under "Cabinet" or EQ or Amp or anywhere I've looked. Just what I have in terms of rigs already (about 480 of them and still weeding..)

Please advise, thanks. Also, I need an explanation of IR's. Where is a good source for explaining them?

• Could you explain (or point a link) about what is happening?

For example, I think of a preset as just settings on existing cabinets. If there is a volume setting, a preset could be set at "7".

But I understand these are "IR"s, which I know very little about, but understand are models or profiles of cabinets. So why are they under "presets" and not cabinets themselves, if they are true profiles of cabinets?

Thanks for the help, btw! You guys are great!

• You can browse cabs from presets (standalone cabs or tweaked versions) or from existing rigs. Imported cabs are standalone and can be find under presets.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Let me see if I understand this.

There are actually just a FEW cabs, or these IR impulses are for existing cabs, so the "presets" are just multiple IR impulses of the same cab in some cases.

Which is why I'd see maybe only about as many cabs as I have profiles, but there may be many more presets per some of the cabs?

• There are as many cabs as you load. If you load Till's cabs they will be there, if you convert an IR library and import it, it will be there. It is really up to you how many cabs you have on your unit.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Let me see if I understand this.

There are actually just a FEW cabs, or these IR impulses are for existing cabs, so the "presets" are just multiple IR impulses of the same cab in some cases.

Which is why I'd see maybe only about as many cabs as I have profiles, but there may be many more presets per some of the cabs?

I read this a couple of times and I'm still not completely sure what you are meaning. ;)

You can browse cabinets either 'from rigs' which is pretty self-explanatory: the cabinet portion of a rig get loaded into your active rig.

Or, you can call up a cabinet preset.

Cabinet presets can be two things:
    1) you went into the cab section of a rig and saved that cab as a preset - which gives you quicker recall of your favourites then browsing through all the rigs. (the Profiler comes with 12 factory presets)

2) your imported cabinets.

savvy?

• If I use Cab Maker to convert an IR to the KPA format cab, could I change the virtual size and tune the bass resonance of this cab or is it impossible ?

Thanks.

• Just thought I would follow up on this.

I converted my microphone IR files using Cab Maker and imported them. Using the acoustic rigs from the new amp pack, they sound great. I did have to disable the amplifier part of the stack--leaving the EQ and Cabinet in place.

I don't remember where I got those but, they work great for making piezo pickups sound a little more realistic.

J