Global stacks

• What the kemper needs is the ability to assign a stack as "global stack one" " global stack two" and so forth. Then when creating rigs for live use, you could assign a global stack as opposed to a local one. This way you could edit global stack one or swap it for a different amp stack and all your rigs that have that use that stack will be fixed at once.
    While I love to create various presets, when I'm in concert, I only want four basic tones: clean, a lighter overdrive, distortion, and a heavier lead distortion. However, I use various presets with these four basic sounds and create quite a few banks, some for specific songs, with all sorts of combinations of other effects so I don't to do much tap dancing in the middle of songs. Since I have dozen of presets each using one of my basic tones, if I want to make changes to my lighter overdrive sound, for example, I have to make the same tweaks and hit save 8 times.
    This is why I sold my pod hd and got a TC electronic g system. While I miss the variety of amp tones, I love being able to use a few dirt pedals in the built in audio loops and create presets to my hearts content. Then if I don't like my overdrive sound I only have to tweak my pedal.
    I'd love, with the kemper to be able to create tons of song specific rigs over many banks on their upcoming foot controller yet use just four different stacks for the rigs I use live. Then if I wanted to say swap out a fender deluxe reverb for an ac30 on my overdrive rigs I'd only have to assign a different one of my local stacks to the hypothetical global stack that my overdrive rigs use.
    If I understand things correctly, the kemper will only let me create local stacks and rigs, changing the settings for a local stack won't change the stack setting for all the rigs that use it will it?
    By the way, this is my only fear of getting the kemper. At least unlike my pod hd the kemper let's you create local presets which would make it quicker to swap and edit stacks for my live rigs. I also won't buy this until it comes with a dedicated foot controller and pitch effects. I need a higher octave pitch shifter!

• Press and hold Stack, press Store, select Store Stack, choose a name, press store again. Repeat for all the stacks you want to save. Now press Lock and your stack is global. Use the Browse knob to change it. Press Exit when finish.
    ;)

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Still confused. I've read the manual, and have been researching this amp for weeks on this forum but don't know if I understand. I dont know anyone that has one and am the sort that needs to get my hands on something. Are you saying I can have tons of presets (which the kemper calls rigs) and have specific amp profiles assigned to them, many these rigs having some of the same amp profiles and have an ability to edit a specific profile one time and have all the rigs that use it change together?

• Ok, you can have Tons of Rigs based on the profiles you like, then any Stomp, fx, cab, amp, eq or the all stomps, the all stack and the all fx's can be saved at the actual setting as Preset and re-called in the own section. The nice thing is that any of those "blocks" can be locked at any point in time making it global as long as you don't decide to unlock it. Same for input and output settings.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I'm still confused. Thanks for your help. What good would it do me to lock a stack? Then I can't switch to another. I need to the ability to stick with a few basic tones and have many presets that use those tones. I know I can switch effects on and off within presets but I prefer to have more presets with the effects I want to use already engaged, rather than than have to switch presets than toggle effects on it off. On my TC I have it set up where I seldom touch anything but the 5 preset switches during songs, and the banks between tunes. I need the ability to tweak those 5 sounds on the fly but then retain the ability to switch to all the presets that use those five sounds.

If the kemper can't do this, I may have no choice but to keep my TC which I love the effects and managibility. I could use the kemper in one of the TC's audio loops simply assign a midi number for each of my 5 basic sounds or so, and the pick 5 stacks on the kemper and give them each one of those matching numbers. Then I could have the best of both worlds. Of course then I may have to wait longer to afford my kemper, as the dough I'd get selling my g system should be much more than buying Kempers supposedly soon to be released foot controller. Although, I wonder what it will cost, as the built in power amp ads $700 to the cost of the kemper, I won't be surprised if it ends up costing $500. However one of the things that attracted me to the kemper is its all-in-one function ability. I'd love to sit the rack on a cab, plug it in and run nothing more than a cat5 cable to the foot controller and need only a single guitar cable.

• Hopefully they add that feature. I can't think I'm the only guitarist that likes to organize that way. You can only use just so many basic tones live as every tone sits different in the mix. Hopefully they'll debut performance e mode at namm, but since they already announced the rack and power rack, I wonder if they'rll be any more surprise. Hopefully pitch effects and performance mode, as I can't take this from the studio to rebersal to stage, if I can't take it to the stage!

• Hey Grooguit,

welcome here!

I'm not sure I've got you right, but wouldn't Stack presets (the ability to store certain tonestack configurations and assign them to as many rigs you want) do what you're after?
    In case, consult the Presets vs. rigs browsingto build
    and store amps/sounds
    subsection in the wiKPA.

HTH

• No, he's looking for a more modular design. For example you have a 10 rigs based on the same AC30 profile with different effects. He decides he wants a little more gain. He would like to up the gain on the AC30 profile and save it and have that change applied automatically to all 10 rigs. Unfortunately, this flies against what players like me do which is store the same profile at different gain and EQ settigns in multiple rigs. So if they add that feature, I really hope it would be an optional mode of operation. Maybe this could be applicable to the snapshots?

EDIT: oh wait, I think I see what your saying. If multiple rigs are built on the same profile preset, if you alter that preset do all rigs based on that profile preset change?

• I understand the OP asks for something like 'global amps' in the Axe-FX.
    This is currently not possible in the KPA.
    Locking a stack when you change presets doesn't help if you want to be able to change amps with the preset.
    I for one would definitely welcome some kind of 'global amp' feature as an additional option.
    But mandatory for me like for the OP it is certainly not.

• No, he's looking for a more modular design. For example you have a 10 rigs based on the same AC30 profile with different effects. He decides he wants a little more gain. He would like to up the gain on the AC30 profile and save it and have that change applied automatically to all 10 rigs. Unfortunately, this flies against what players like me do which is store the same profile at different gain and EQ settigns in multiple rigs. So if they add that feature, I really hope it would be an optional mode of operation. Maybe this could be applicable to the snapshots?

EDIT: oh wait, I think I see what your saying. If multiple rigs are built on the same profile preset, if you alter that preset do all rigs based on that profile preset change?

I think they should, could not try it by myself yet.
    If this were the case, we'd be just a step far from "He would like to up the gain on the AC30 profile and save it and have that change applied automatically to all 10 rigs".
    But you could try by just creating a tonestack preset, assign it to a ring, modify the former and see whether the rig has been affected. Would be great!
    (In case it has not, this would be a great feature to request IMO)

• We should be able to have it both ways. That is, if you want to create a rig with a fixed stack you can. But also have the ability to choose a stack that is saved globally. Put another way, you could choose "ac30 max" from your local stacks if you want, then change it if you would like and save it as part of that rig. But instead if you ALSO have the ability to choose "global stack one" as your stack for that rig. Then you can assign global stack one to as many rigs as you'd like. You could then tweak a stack to hearts content and assign a global stack number to it. Kind of like assigning a midi number to a stack. Perhaps a better name for global stack would be something else, I don't know.

I'll re-read the section you suggest. I understand that you can assign a local preset that you created to any number of rigs, but if I'm correct, once you do that they are now stored independently within their respective rigs. So if you go back and make changed to the original local stack, it doesn't update all the rigs that you copied the original version to. So if you didn't like your tone on that stack you'd still have to go back and edit each rig. Although you could fairly quickly edit the local stack and then go to your ten rigs and copy the edited version, but even that is a hassle to do on he fly during a sound check.

• That's why you have global eq, not having to change everything during the sound check. For me it works very well.

• So if you didn't like your tone on that stack you'd still have to go back and edit each rig. Although you could fairly quickly edit the local stack and then go to your ten rigs and copy the edited version, but even that is a hassle to do on he fly during a sound check.

You can do this like that:

- load a Stack preset and modify it for your needs.
    - you might store it again to keep it in the presets
    - lock the stack section
    - now browse through your rigs and when it should have the new preset, just press STORE twice.

done.

• You can do this like that:

- load a Stack preset and modify it for your needs.
    - you might store it again to keep it in the presets
    - lock the stack section
    - now browse through your rigs and when it should have the new preset, just press STORE twice.

done.

I suggested more or less the same, Timo, but the OP wants to edit it globally afterwards for all the rigs that have been assigned to the stack

• But then Eq and Cab would apply to all stacks. What the OP wants to achieve is to have let's say 5 different sets of rigs with 5 different stacks and the changes applies only to the selected stack, not to the other 4.