What do you do when it sounds bad?

• Now I had quite a few gigs without any backline amp, the KPA going direct to the PA and the usual monitor wedges for me and all the others in the band or sometimes (in smaller places) I used a single active speaker from the venue. And one thing that really amazes me every time again is how few I can do with the KPA EQ when the sound that I meet at the soundcheck is just not right in the first place. I am really stunned and irritated!

When it sounds to boomy, ok then turning down the bass will help within limits. Yet it will also make the sound weaker and repositioning the speakers can do much more in this case. A brittle sound can be cured quite ok with the EQ, the presence control is great for this. But several times now I heard that it - hm - somehow was just too thin, and no mid control up or treble control down could ever get close to fixing it.

I am not talking about the quality of the KPA EQs - I think they are gorgeous, they have really musical center frequencies and plenty enough range. I am thinking about the limits of EQing itself when adapting your own sound to a foreign amplification system and to a certain room. Is there any of you with some more advice for others?

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• In my experience when the PA/monitor system is crap or the acoustic of the venue is bad there is not much you can do for it. Miking the amp make it even worser, a modeler gives you a lot more flexibility. My suggestion is to carry your own monitoring system to ensure at least a good stage sound (that influence your performance).

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yep. I think this is what it all boils down to. That is why I spent another 1,6 Megaeuro to buy a RCF TT08. It is (almost) light to carry and a really relyable reference for stage sound. And in smaller venues it can do it all. I was just hoping that some other Kemperers found out some magic tricks ...

www.audiosemantics.de
    I have been away for quite a while. A few years ago I sold my KPA and since then played my own small tube amp with a Bad Cat Unleash. Now I am back because the DI-profile that I made from my amp sounds very much convincing to me.

• External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

"What do you do when you know that you know
    that you know that you're wrong?
    You got to face the music..."

www.audiosemantics.de

• face the music............and i would dare to say: "face the show"...........

it happened to me just last friday. Had a gig in a large club with a big stage. consider I'm a one man band so all alone on stage, thus no hiding behind the band or similar.

I use and44 plexis which are incredible and have used them with a huge sound everywhere. this time though it sounded so thin, no sound body or strenght on it. as the soundcheck I was mad and disappointed but had to show to the audience the sound was the best in the world.............

the show came out ok, a success to most of the people.........so after 40 + years playing music I learned another lesson: always think at the music and the show.........even if the guitar sounds strange and not familiar, think at the show: most of the time, when really into it, the guitar sound will keep up!

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• always think at the music and the show.........even if the guitar sounds strange and not familiar, think at the show: most of the time, when really into it, the guitar sound will keep up!

I guess this is the crucial point for me. I come from the acoustic guitar. And there a good tone is always a reliable companion because all you need for a good sound is in your hands and in your guitar. Even from a bad or mediocre acoustic guitar you can form a convincing tone with skiled hands. This does not work on the same extent with electric guitars. On the electric guitar very often a show does not fail because of the bad sound itself but because of my reaction to the bad sound - it somehow kills my inspiration. I play improvised music which means I invent the music right in the moment that I play - so gritting my teeth and working my way through the songlist is not an option for me.

Actually I am really thinking about abandoning the electric guitar completely. The Kemper Profiler was the last setup that I wanted to try before I make a decision. I agree with guitarnet70 that "a modeler gives you a lot more flexibility" but it is still depending on external equipment. And as such it is not really reliable when you have to travel without your own poweramp and speaker. Those PA and fullrange speakers are not as "neutral" and "standard" as I thought (or hoped) in the beginning.

In an early post last year CK wrote me that he does not want "to correct the individual flaws of the surrounding equipment." I somehow can understand this position. Seems like it is not (yet) possible make a digital amp sound good on a bad PA.

www.audiosemantics.de

• Don't despair! The problem only really happens if you are tied to a particular sound.

The first thing to do in a sub-optimal environment is disable your delays and reverb. Most likely the majority of the flub and bad sound you're getting is from the rooms own reflections rather than direct from the PA itself, so you have reverb and echoes on top of reverb and delays, which is just silly and a waste of time, so switch them off.

Next the output EQ is most likely not going to be sufficient to trim the frequencies, with the KPA you have two main options to bring back the sound, first you can go in and adjust the low and high frequency shift in your cabinet block, and secondly and personally I think rather easier you can use the Studio EQ effect in the x or mod slot and use that as a hard cutoff lo/hi-pass to trim unwanted frequencies at the top or bottom, don't be afraid to be brutal with this, it's not about maintaining your guitars whole sound, but about cutting out the crap. Now you might be scared that after all this yoru guitar sounds thing and trebly, but once in a band mix it'll actually help push it forward and it will sound full (remember it's the bassists job to fill out the lower end, not the guitarists).

You can also bring along a laptop if you want and do an impulse capture to see the room and pa's frequency response, this takes the guesswork out of eq'ing away unwanted frequencies (and by how much). It's a trivial task once you've done it the once and there are plenty of software options out there to do this for you.

You'd be surprised at just how far you can claw things back from a bad environment with just simple tools provided you're willing to put in a little effort and don't mind changing your tone a little to suit the environs.

• Hey thanks Per, thats a lot of good advice!

The problem only really happens if you are tied to a particular sound.

Well this exactly is the problem. I have changed my equipment so often and with every new gear I always go for the same, single sound. Many fellow musicians wonder why I change my equipment at all, when it always sounds "the same". A simple blues, breakup sound with as much dynamics as possible. (Although I don't play blues) That is how you play on an acoustic guitar - you have one sound and this one sound goes deep into your heart and mind and fingers after the years.

I do have a studio EQ in the X slot reserved extra for this kind of situations. And I have some experience in using parametric EQs. But what was puzzling me most was that several times now in the very situation I really had no idea what frequency should be tackled when I heard a bad sound from a monitor speaker. I am not shure that it is an EQ problem at all. But using a PC with an analyzer might be worth a try. It is not so much about the room characteristics - more about unfamiliar monitor speakers or amps. When I play my own amp, I never had this kind of problems.

Another way to go could be to take a Genelec 8030A and use it as a close-up monitor next to me. Small and light enough to fit into the suitcase as check-in luggage. I don't hop around on stage and the problem is only me - never heard anyone from the audience or fellow band members complain about the guitar sound. Also: the more members in the band the less problems with my sound. Biggest problems arise only when I play electric guitar solo. Or a duo with a cello or other acoustic instruments. Then it gets very important whether the sound supports me or not.

I never tested In Ear Monitors. But on researching for them I found that even those declared as "ambience" still have a volume isolation of -10dB. This is helpful on loud stages but I don't think it could work in less loud "chamber music" situations like duos or trios with other acoustic instruments.

Anyway - I won't give up so soon. Somehow I am adicted to electric guitars.

www.audiosemantics.de

• In Ear Monitors work great but you need all instruments and vocals in the headphone mix. This can be done easily for a 4 piece band with a small mixer with 4 aux sends and a headphone amp. Each musician gets their own mix. Works great on a budget.

Other systems dedicated to IEM are available. I hear the Behringer copy of the Avion system works well.

bd