Author's tag protection

• In order to respect the work of people on the free kemper's database i think it could be useful.
    Author's tag should be only editable on the Author's machine.(for amp and cab parts only)

It could be done easily by using the mac adress or the serial number (or both) as private keys.
    An hidden field should be added into the amp and cabinet parts in order to store the Author's name crypted with the key(s).
    (there are a lot of useless fields)
    Then for the edition, this field would be decrypted by using one "key" (mac adress, serial number) of the machine and compare to the author's name registered into the machine.
    If it's equal the edition would be allowed.
    Quite simple to implement IMO and we will probably see more studio stuff on the rig exchange.

• When i uploaded some tweaked rigs in order to rename them without loosing too much time I see that it's not possible to change the name of the rig author, which probably is always shown in the profiler main screen.
    BTW it's a good idea to lock the other tags too.

• Respect towards the work of others isn't earned and secured by adding another layer of complexity and hindrance to the system.
    That's something that has been learned by many who thought otherwise in the last couple of years.

I totally respect the work of all profilers and rig makers ... and I've already spent a lot of money to get their work licensed.
    But I'm all against this cryptographic BS in the KPA environment, sorry.

Just my opinion,
    Martin

• I could ask you the same simple question. ;)
    It has been widely understood that there's no such thing as perfect software protection.
    And I can't see a reason to even try to make this protected for a couple of weeks or months.

If you share your rigs for free, just live with the fact that others will use them in one way or another. That's the spirit of it, right? Don't care about the tags shown inside others' lunchboxes, you can't really control that anyway ... and by the way, there's no benefit for you if it's protected somehow. Those who want to hack it, will do. And those who do respect your content/work will have the right means to make sure you won't be forgotten.

Anyway, I could write an hour but in the end it all comes down to what it is: Trust. You don't trust? Don't share and don't sell. There's always those bad guys.
    Copy protection is just a myth to calm those who can't trust. Just give a shit about those who want to fool others. It's your way of thinking that matters, not the technology to give doubtful protection.

• Who cares about the authors name when is playing with a good sounding rig?
    I don,t care if my Marshall it,s used by someone else on scene or someone it,s using the same type of an amp.
    No one can,t steal my fingers, my feelings and my guitar playing soul. :)

• Who cares about the authors name when is playing with a good sounding rig?
    I don,t care if my Marshall it,s used by someone else on scene or someone it,s using the same type of an amp.
    No one can,t steal my fingers, my feelings and my guitar playing soul. :)

I personally agree ...

• The tags can be edited in the Kemper - some are protected online.

The other side of this thought - you may not WANT credit all the time:

If I make a rig that makes my guitar sound like the last dying gasps of a junkie mosquito, using one person's amp profile, a second person's cab, and effects presets from a couple other people, and change EVERY parameter, and edit all musical possibilities out of the rig, any one or more of these people may not WANT any um.... credit for being associated with my psychedelic buzzsaw tone.

Or, If someone simply makes a rig from one of your profiles and gives it a name that you consider offensive, do you want to appear to be the creator of that rig? I would rather they have they ability to claim that for themselves :)

Come to think of it, All profile creator names are relatively innacurate, anyway, unless the names on them are whoever wrote the tech information used as a source for those radio amp books that Leo Fender used when he first built guitar amps... :)