Will MIMIC= Profiling? AXE II FW 10

• AXE FW10 is about to drop. I'm interested to see what your guys' thoughts will be on MIMIC vs Profiling when it is released.
    "FW 10: Implemented “Multi-point Iterative Matching and Impedance Correction” technology
    (MIMICTM P.A.F.) to amp models. MIMIC applies analytic signals to an amplifier
    and captures the fine nuances of each amp at various points in the circuit and
    corrects each model vs. its theoretical implementation. In some cases the
    difference can be substantial, in other cases the difference is minimal. This
    depends on the layout of the amp and the various parasitics involved. MIMIC has
    the advantage of applying these corrections at the appropriate location in the
    amp model rather than as just an output EQ so that the various controls of the
    model behave virtually identically to the actual. For example, the Modern modes
    of a Dual Rectifier are highly sensitive to Master Volume with the tone becoming
    thicker as the MV is increased. MIMIC preserves this behavior rather than just
    getting louder as the Master Volume is increased. The equalization correction
    portion of MIMIC processing can be turned off in the Advanced menu tab of the
    Amp block, if desired. Note that the nonlinear correction and other aspects of
    MIMIC are integral to a model and cannot be turned off. In many cases the
    equalization correction can be subtle and many not be immediately audible when
    switched on or off."

Updated numerous amp model details in light of
    MIMIC's identification of deviations between the models and actual amps.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• It's always fun to try out and play with the new Axe II changes.
    I was hoping there would be less parameters to adjust.
    With it comes some more tweaking days required to fix the altered saved sounds though.

Line6 and other companies also probe and measure real amps and gear to make their component modeling more real. As far as kempers unique profiling technique and the profiling patent goes, Cliff has stated on TGP that he has no interest in trying to do profiling and don't need it, and sticks to component modeling.
    Profiling is something we all can use to capture our real amps with. Modeling or mimicing is closed and we can't use it with our amps. It's still a company dictating how their own interpretation of an amp should be modeled, behave and sound like.

A year ago when the forum demand was very high on Fractal to implement kempers new profiling, Cliff instead implemented the already long requested Ozone eq tone matching feature and he called that "our own profiling". That resulted in many users believing that traditional eq tone matching was the same as profiling (and some still do). I've seen many marketing strategies, some better than others.
    We won't see the Kemper and Axe fx doing the same things. They are completely different machines with their own tech and algorithms and one use component modeling, one use profiling.

• AXE FW10 is about to drop. I'm interested to see what your guys' thoughts will be on MIMIC vs Profiling when it is released.

"MIMICCTM P.A.F./ASDFÑLKJ v10.1.2.1976" should be better. "Profiling" has only 9 letters and anyone can understand what it means. I bet the first one is more complex, so it's the best.

• So why not implement the MIMIC process into the Axe-Fx? (after the tonematch)

• Anyway if MIMIC is pure marketing or not.
    I would not be suprised after the last demo that he spend is time to put some profiles of the Kemper into the Axe-Fx and tried to get something more rich, responsive and with distorsions which seem less "linear" or "predictible".
    We will have the response in a few weeks and if people think that one Axe-Fx's model sounds like one of their Kemper's profile, it will be the time for the authors to beg for royalties. :whistling:
    If the Axe sounds more like the Kemper it surely will be great for the Axe-Fx's users. IMHOAIM

Edited 2 times, last by mba ().

• Just read the full release notes in the Fractal forum - impressive work!

Competition is a great thing.

Let's see what we get in 2.0.

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

• AFAIK this MIMIC is in the FW but will not be made available to the regular users. It will be used by Mothership and a selected number of Beta testers in order to improve the available models, that then will be available for everyone. This is how I've understood it...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Don't get upset, bro, just having some April fools fun...peace. :)

I promise you when this thread turns into a 30 page thread I will not make one comment, I'll keep far away.

I'm not upset, you played it brilliantly. I was more.... errrrr.... speechless.

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• This paper is not only about the AXEFX :D

"One of the newer simulators even allows the user to capture IRs using test tones injected into an actual tube amp and then recording the response of the amplifier. Unfortunately this approach doesn’t allow accurate separation of the amplifier response from the speaker response which limits overall device flexibility and is also subject to significant very-low- frequency inaccuracy due to the absence of system response at those frequencies."

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de