KPA - Public BETA 1.8.0.8357

• I am very frustrated with the Transpose. When I play I hear the transposed note say a half step down. On top of that note I hear a higher note, almost like a harmony, I dont want that. I want it to sound as though I detuned my guitar. I was hoping there were some settings to take care of this issue like with the pitch stuff but theres not. There is the 'smooth chords' option but it doesnt solve the problem i'm having.

I play alot of Metal and it would be great to play some songs that require alternate tunings but for me its useless do to it sounding like a 2 note harmony rather than a nice cohesive downtuning. Maybe something is wrong with my install? Anyone else having the same issue? Maybe thats just how its supposed to be. I dont know.

Nope, same here. I've opened a support ticket, you're welcome to do the same - Burkhard has been ignoring me.
    I don't know why you guys praise Kemper support so much. They've been nothing but shitty since i joined in, a month and some ago. There's something awkwardly embarrassing about a support dept. that doesn't like to hear something's wrong 8|

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Don't forget that this week everybody was at the Musikmesse. Could you PM me the rig that is showing this problem? I cannot replicate it here.....

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• One of the potential problems you have with support could easily be your own fault. ;)
    If you have issues, make sure you describe as good as you can, give all details (which rig, which guitar/pups, etc.). Give an example to reproduce the issue, accompanied by a short recording of the issue you have. Everything that makes it easier and faster for support or dev to understand what you're talking about and to reproduce makes the process easier and faster for everyone. Bug hunting often is a pain not only for us customers. :)

• Don't forget that this week everybody was at the Musikmesse. Could you PM me the rig that is showing this problem? I cannot replicate it here.....

Every single rig, actually. Gain or no gain.

Last time i remember encountering it was with Anderton's Cornford - set the pedal pitch to +12, +7 or +5. All three exhibited the same behavior - like the mix was never at 100%.
    I opened a support ticket, got a reply from Burkhard 20 minutes later that a newer 1.8 was due (that's the current 8360 svn) and that i should try that, and i replied about 5 minutes later that the problem wasn't solved (alongside several others), then opened another ticket and got no reply for neither - so Musikmesse probably isn't the reason :)

lightbox: I love it how you guys would climb over mountains to justify what the team is doing. No offense.
    I don't expect them to go chasing vague bug descriptions, but i feel, as a customer, that it is fully within my right to receive a reply to support claim i file. ANY response. I don't think that's far-fetched.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• lightbox: I love it how you guys would climb over mountains to justify what the team is doing. No offense.

Don't worry, I don't feel offended. :) I just have many years experience with bug hunting and collaboration with QA and Dev on complex products. Sometimes these guys get bombed with reports and few of them contain the necessary details to quickly reproduce the issue. In my case it's a huge software company with an impressing head count, so they have enough staff just to care about the beta testers <-> QA/Dev relationship. The Kemper team is WAY smaller and as guitarnet70 pointed out, they've been in Frankfurt this week. Just be a bit patient and use the added time to provide a good example if you can. It makes things so much easier. :) Luckily it's not a matter of life or death, hehe.

• Just a side note: I'm on a higher FW version for beta-testing and cannot replicate the issue, so probably it has been solved already, so be just a bit patient: this beta should go public quite soon. :thumbup:

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I just have to say, regardless of my opinion of support and general big mouthedness - gotta love this forum :)

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Well guys.

I feel like a colossal idiot. I put headphones on and didnt really hear the problem too much. I still heard it slightly. I lifted my headphones and turned off my guitar to hear if the strings were what I was hearing. So then I turned my KPA up louder than I usually play and the problem was mostly gone. I now focused on the strings and It was becoming pretty clear that it was the strings I was hearing and not some malfunction of the Transpose function.

So as a final test I did a recording to see if the problem was heard in the recording. The recording sounded great with no problems at all!

All along is was simple operator error on my part.

You guys called it right! It is the strings that we are hearing. I dont know why I didnt pick up on it before. Because we are not down tuning the guitars physically but altering the tone in the KPA the strings still ring out in standard or whatever tuning you are in and it creates that harmony like note when using the Transpose function in lower volumes. When you play louder or record and dont hear the string ring out its accurate and works amazing!

Thanks guys!

• Well, my volumes in the studio are quite high, to say the least.
    I will try and record, however - i'll be more than happy to kick my own ass if i find out that's the issue.
    Thanks for the update!

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• The pitch works fine, the harmonich is almoust as good as the Boss PS-6 im comparing it
    with. Some improvement when playing chords and a bether tone in the high
    register and a pan controll for voice1 and 2 Is all Im missing.
    The chromatic pitch shift future is much bether than the Boss PS-6.
    The pedal pitch is great in stomps. Its a great upgrade,
    I dont need to plugg the Boss PS-6 in the back panel of
    Kemper now, the Boss stays home when Im on the road. thanks. :thumbup:

Edited 6 times, last by strengdal ().

• Believe me, I fell into the same trap when I developed the pitch shifter. Finally I listened to it with incredibly high volume, to mask the acoustic sound of the strings. Drove me crazy :)

• Thanks! CKemper for the pitch fx,
    Im realy happy with it and its the fastest harmonizer I have ever tried when playing solo notes.
    Im just wondering, is it possibe to have a stereo pan and a latency parameter?
    Maybe it will trigger bether with chords, with a little bit of latency on the pitch? dont need to be fast playing chords. Like Holdsworth playing chords with volume pedal and having the pitch at +12 mixed smood together with the normal guitar signal. Im aware of the ducking, but it dosent help for the sound quality. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Edited 6 times, last by strengdal ().

• Just an update for those of you who have been hearing the original guitar under the pitch shifted sound and the strings were not the culprit -
    It was driving me nuts until i did a system reset this morning. Problem solved.
    Give it a go. see if that helps.

repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• Thanks! CKemper for the pitch fx,
    Im realy happy with it and its the fastest harmonizer I have ever tried when playing solo notes.
    Im just wondering, is it possibe to have a stereo pan and a latency parameter?
    Maybe it will trigger bether with chords, with a little bit of latency on the pitch? dont need to be fast playing chords. Like Holdsworth playing chords with volume pedal and having the pitch at +12 mixed smood together with the normal guitar signal. Im aware of the ducking, but it dosent help for the sound quality. Thanks again. :thumbup:

Press "Smooth Cords" in the Pitch Shifters first page.

• Awesome update guys - I have been trying all sort of stuff including switching rigs over MIDI - noticeably snappier (faster in a good way) rig switches. I dont need performance mode anymore :). Unless of course - performance mode is truly magical in some way ;). Im not a big user of pitch shifting effects, so I havent used them yet - will do so soon.

Anyway - wanted to thank the Kemper team for the timely (... and did I mention awesome?) updates. One thing I noticed (not sure if anyone else has noticed as well) - with 1.8.0.8357 - the KPA seems to latch on to my interface's SPDIF clock. I say this because I dont need to setup my interface to run on SPDIF Clock anymore. Was this fixed as part of this release - or am I doing something wrong (and this is totally accidental) ;)? Please acknowledge?

Thanks!

• Now that we have pitch fx, how about an intelligent 12 string emulator that is smart enough to make the b and high e strings be unison, while the rest are an octave up? That would be awesome.

• Now that we have pitch fx, how about an intelligent 12 string emulator that is smart enough to make the b and high e strings be unison, while the rest are an octave up? That would be awesome.

Without separate pickups for every string is going to be a tough one, I know no one on the market.....