Beta 1.8.0 Pitchshifter

• Just uploaded and did a brief run-through of the new Beta w/Pitchshift. WOW!! I only tested the effects without a pedal. I'm sure when I get back to it later with a pedal I'll be equally impressed. The Transpose feature works very well, negating the need for multiple guitars tuned down to various keys. It also works very well when transposing up, negating the need for a capo in some circumstances (the tracking becomes a bit wobbly when transposing too high). The Chromatic and Harmonic Pitch features work very well and will allow me to shelf my Eventide Eclipse. I'm confident that I will end up shelving my Digitech Whammy pedal as soon as I test with a pedal controller attached. I am sure we will find some flaws that will need to be tweaked but my first impression is very positive. This is a stellar upgrade! :thumbup:

• The pitch shifter is wonderful!!! When transposing up one octave, the E and B strings are quite wobbly, however. I was trying to make a 12 string effect, which works well, except for that. Of course, those strings(E&B) are NOT normally tuned an octave higher, on a real 12 string guitar. Still, if it could be tightened up, when transposing that high, I would be able to achieve that sound. Thanks for another great tool, CK!!!

• Here's my quickie review, from someone who was asking about a pitchshifter over a year ago. Thanks CK! Overall it's awesome.

BTW, for comparison's sake I've used the KPA with an Eventide Pitchfactor, two different boss pitch shifter pedals (PS5 super shifter and the HR2 Harmonizer) and TC Nova system. For detuning I have a morpheus droptune pedal.

MICROPITCH - works well, only thing I'd like to see is a little more flexibility - maybe two pitches at once, and also delay and pan on those pitches?

TRANSPOSE - Here's a hint for you guys using this - put a chorus in the X slot, Transpose in Mod. The chorus will help hide the 'wobble' you get, especially on clean tones. This effect could be super useful, but right now it pretty much destroys the guitar tone. However, the morpheus stuff I used did the same thing, and to be honest, the pitch transposition on the eventide was useless past a few steps. So this still works better IMHO than the pedals I had. I'd just like it to mess with the tone less if possible.

PEDAL PITCH - haven't hooked up an expression pedal yet.

CHROMATIC PITCH - Works great. Would be nice to have a delay and pan option for each pitch shifted though.

HARMONIC PITCH - Tracks GREAT. better than any of the pedals I used including the pitchfactor. Sounds good too, doesn't give it a 'cartoony' tone, if that makes sense. I'm going to guess that the pitch fx grab a reference pitch very early in the signal chain because you can put a chorus before the pitch fx and it doesn't mess up the tracking. This is totally useable and I'm going to ditch my external fx pedals now. HUGE THANKS CK.

Hate to even mention this again, especially after we get custom scales *!* but could there be added delay and pans for the pitches?

Overall - this is one of my favorite updates so far. I know it only went from 1.7 to 1.8, but as far as usefulness, it went from 1.7 to 3.0 :)

• The pitch shifter is wonderful!!! When transposing up one octave, the E and B strings are quite wobbly, however. I was trying to make a 12 string effect, which works well, except for that. Of course, those strings(E&B) are NOT normally tuned an octave higher, on a real 12 string guitar. Still, if it could be tightened up, when transposing that high, I would be able to achieve that sound. Thanks for another great tool, CK!!!

??? please tell me how......

• The faux 12 string:

Shift the pitch up +12, and mix the effect lower than the dry guitar - there will be a sweet spot, where you hear just enough effect, without it sounding too "cartoonish".

If it becomes possible at some point to detune the pitch slightly, that can help counteract the artifacts that may be present in a chord that has been shifted that far up.

• The faux 12 string:

Shift the pitch up +12, and mix the effect lower than the dry guitar - there will be a sweet spot, where you hear just enough effect, without it sounding too "cartoonish".

If it becomes possible at some point to detune the pitch slightly, that can help counteract the artifacts that may be present in a chord that has been shifted that far up.

Try a chorus or the detune effect in the block behind your pitch shift - it helps mask it.

• I couldn't stand it, so I updated even with practice staring me in the face. First thing I tried was the Chromatic Pitch effect. 8o

Try this out:
    Voice 1 Pitch = 3
    Voice 2 Pitch= -2
    Detune = 0.00
    Voice Mix = 0.0
    Mix = 50%
    Ducking = 0.0
    Volume = 0.0

Play only single strings. Sounds best with a Tele or other bright guitar. I used it with my Clean JTM30 profile. Big grin on my face. :D

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• Thanks so much for the update. CK and crew. Ran through the stuff tonight my thoughts.

Harmonizer - Just great. Best feature of the update by far.

Chromatic - Valiant first effort, but doesn't really compare to my Whammy V in chords mode at all which tracks faster and the notes are much more stable even at extreme intervals. A lot of room for improvement here

Transpose - Same as above, just not in the same league as the Whammy V.

So...Whammy ain't going anywhere and the gas for a HOG2 persists. But the harmonizer rocks! Can't wait to track with it.

• Hi Will,
    i just tried the transpose and i am surprised, how good this stomp is. i recorded a real drop b guitar track for reference. And then i recorded a track with my drop c guitar and drop d guitar, transposed to drop b, to compare. I used distorted guitars ( riffs ), no clean chords. And i liked it a lot.
    Does anybody use the tranpose stomp for tuning down guitars?
    Any comments?

• Hi Will,
    i just tried the transpose and i am surprised, how good this stomp is. i recorded a real drop b guitar track for reference. And then i recorded a track with my drop c guitar and drop d guitar, transposed to drop b, to compare. I used distorted guitars ( riffs ), no clean chords. And i liked it a lot.
    Does anybody use the tranpose stomp for tuning down guitars?
    Any comments?

I use it for a half step and a whole step down with high gain. It works great in that context. I haven't tried it with clean yet.

Will can use his Whammy, me... I'll use the Kemper.

I'm not saying there's no room for improvement I'm sure there is. It will continue to improve.