User Scale Steps Map

• Don,

Mixolydian and Dorian modes would be nice.

For those not familiar with modes: (you know them by ear already)

Mixolydian is the same as Major but starting at step 7. It is commonly used in songs. The tell-tale sign for guitarists is when a major chord a whole step below root is used in the progression. (Ex: Key of E having a D chord, Key of A having a G)

Dorian is the same as Minor but starting on step 5 (or Major Step 2). It is also commonly used in songs. The tell-tale sign for guitarists is when a major chord 5 steps above root is used in the progression. (Ex: Key of Em having an A chord, Key of Am having an D)

The modern modes: (using C Major, starting at different intervals. With hints on how to identify in a song)
    Ionian C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C Ex: Normal Major Key (C, F, G majors - D, E, A minors, B Diminished)
    Dorian D-E-F-G-A-B-C-D Ex: Minor key (with major 4th +5 steps - Dm has G maj)
    Phrygian E-F-G-A-B-C-D-E Ex: Minor key (with major 2nd, 3rd +1, +3 steps - Em has F maj, G maj)
    Lydian F-G-A-B-C-D-E-F Ex: Major key (with major 2nd +2 steps - F maj has G maj)
    Mixolydian G-A-B-C-D-E-F-G Ex: Major key (with major 7th -2 steps - G maj has F maj)
    Aeolian A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A Ex: Minor key (with minor 4th +5 steps - Am has Dm)
    Locrian B-C-D-E-F-G-A-B Ex: Diminished key (with major 2nd +1 - Bdim has C maj)

(hopefully this is error free!)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M…music%29#Modes_and_scales

Ionian, Dorian, Lydian, and Mixolydian are used the most. We all know tunes that center around progressions in these modes...we just don't think in these terms. It becomes useful when setting up a harmonizer, or improvising a solo. :D

Don't discount this knowledge, it can unlock the secrets (simplicity of scale patterns) of the fretboard!

bd

• Maybe this discription is easier to keep in mind (in this example I'm referring to a C maj chord):

ionian = no change (C maj scale)
    dorian = flat 7th --> Bb maj scale over C maj
    phrygian = flat 6th --> Ab maj scale over C maj
    lydian = perfect 5th --> G maj scale over C maj
    mixolydian = perfect 4th --> F maj scale over C maj
    aeolian = flat 3th --> Eb maj scale over C maj
    locrian = flat 2th --> Db maj scale over C maj

The thing about it is to keep in mind the intervals (flat 7th, flat 6th and so on), because this way you can adapt it to any other major chord. For example: If you want to play dorian over G maj, play the F maj scale. Second thing to keep in mind, referring to my last example: In G dorain you're playing an F maj scale over G maj, but the root note of this F maj scale is G! The root note never changes!

Hope this helps, but it's really hard to explain, because I'm not a native speaker.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hi.

I'll add dorian, mixolydian and lydian to the map later.

Here's one way to think of these scales:

dorian is the minor scale with a major sixth instead of a minor sixth

mixolydian is the major scale with a minor seventh instead of a major seventh

lydian is the major scale with a augmented fourth instead of the perfect fourth

With modes it is important to play them a gainst a backing that supports the mode, otherwise our ears quickly drift back to the major (ionian) or minor (aeolian) scale, we are so used to.

You can Use my Modes in E rig for that.
    Every note you play adds a E an octave lower, giving the rig a drone-ish or bagpipe-like quality.
    great to practise modes in E.

• Hmm... that sounds very interesting .. :D
    ... But I only hear if it sounds right or wrong ^^

Could someone tell me please how I have to set up the harmonizer for the solopart at the end of "Whisky in the jar" in Metallica version ?
    At the moment I use simple F/Dm scale with -3 and +5 (don't now for sure at the moment) and it sounds pretty well.
    But surely there's improvement possible ... (?)
    :)

• Franco,

List all the chords used in the song and the root note (key center) and I'll tell you the mode. There won't be over 7 chords most likely.

If in the key of F/DM and a G major is used normally in the progression it may be Dorian, just like the minor scale but the 6th note is raised a step. Your ears would tell you this when playing just as you said.

bd

• Lol...I think this opened a can of worms! Just listened. Most is octave doubled except the end of the solo. Definitely F major. I'll see if I can find the settings to give you the same harmony later this evening when I get back in the studio.

bd

• hey.

for clarification:
    modes can easily be set by using a offset of the key.
    basically you're always choosing the major (ionian) key.

exsample: D dorian
    dorian is the second mode, so choose the major key a whole step below - in this case C major.

since the modes of a scale all feature the same notes:

C ionian (major) =
    D dorian =
    E phrygian =
    F lydian =
    G mixolydian=
    A aeolian (minor) =
    B locrian

the reason to use user scales is to harmonize scales that are not included (melodic and harmonic minor and their modes - like the always popular phrygian dominant - or synthetic scales like augmented, diminished etc.),
    and to harmonize scales in a non-parallel (or less parallel) fashion.

for exsample you could alternate between two intervalls, let's say thirds and fifths:
    C third up (E)
    D fifth up (A)
    E third up (G)
    F fifth up (C)

many great sounding ideas can be realized this way.