In Search of the Holy Grail, Part V (That F.u.n.k.y. Feeling aka Chic)

• Hi everybody,

i rarely play clean, so i am not an expert in this category. I am looking for three sounds:

• The superclean, but punchy "le freak" by chic
    • doobie brothers large hit with the clean riff (long train running)
    • my own lost trademark sound, which you can hear in the intro of the song bright light, believe it or not, but this sound
      was more or less a patch from my korg preamp. have no idea how to repeat this sound, but i love it and i want to send
      my Korg A4 into retirement now. :D

I think some fender style with compressor should do, any suggestions? thanks

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• That GigginTips video is great! A funk guitar master class for anyone who says that kind of music is boring for a guitarist. His "with double tops, you can get away with murder" is great advice. I was asked to sit in with a horn band at a multi-band show a year or so ago. I knew (some) of the songs, but not all of the funk. Doublestops to the rescue! I was able to musically contribute by staying off of their guitarist's parts for an hour of dance music, using intervals in the song key with hints of the vocal and horn parts. Big fun!

So, for for Niles? Any clean tube amp sound, maybe use the amp compressor to smooth the response. But- never play more than three strings at a time :)

• Hi Geraldo,

Since I managed to get you up and running with the Van Weelden rig, I might be able to do these as well.

For your No 3 cleans you could try my MN TriChorus rig from my KPA profile page.

I'll get back to you on the other two.
    But I would like some info.
    For the Nile R stuff a Strat is a must but what guitar do you plan on using for the Dobbie sound?

Cheers,

Mats N

• thank you so far. errh, BIG SURPRISE, i am going to use one of my strats, ofcourse :D :D

this is not only convenient and wise: i own only strats! now i have outed myself! ?( :thumbup:

i have the pleasure to own 4 strats, nothing else! a fender squire, a stinger HB strat, my red goddess the charvel evh and a black tokai
    you can have a look at them here at my homepage
    i have played :love: strats, will play them and intend to play 'em till my last day on the planet. the strat is - apart from my beautiful wife - my big L-O-V-E :love: :love: :love: :love:
    i have strats with SC only and strats with humbuckers and SC and one with HB only and i hope that in may i am going to own my number #5

mats, thank you again - as you can see, it is very probable that i will use a ... for those 3 sounds

cheers

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Is the HB only Strat a one or two HB strat?

Cheers,

Mats N

• tokai - sc/sc/sc
    stinger - hb/-/hb
    fender sc/sc/sc
    the charvel evh red, my one and only :love: one HB @ the bridge :D

greetings to sverige (pronounced swäriije in german)

• tokai - sc/sc/sc
    stinger - hb/-/hb
    fender sc/sc/sc
    the charvel evh red, my one and only :love: one HB @ the bridge :D

greetings to sverige (pronounced swäriije in german)

OK, so try the Bassman with the Stinger neck HB or the Fender or Tokai with the mid SC.
    Le Freak with Tokai or Fender neck SC.
    Bright Light with the Fender or Tokai mid+neck SC.

Cheers,

Mats N

• a big cheers to sweden.
    do not have the time to check them in depth. for the Moment the bright light is the
    most amazing one. soundz all very good. thank you mats, i have to Remix sth
    for a Student and my wife waits for me on 20:45 sharp. Bayern is going to Play. :thumbup:

cu soon and the honour of my post #300 goes to: sweden 12 points

• From what i read some years ago on a nile rodgers, that famous sound was made by a strat straight to the desk (neve or SSL ) , and then compression .

His sound is one that depends much more on how he plays, than one what he plays through, I think. Clean is clean, for the most part. I would have limited that to tube amp profiles, but BB King went from Fenders to Lab Series, and it still sounded just like him :)

• His sound is one that depends much more on how he plays, than one what he plays through, I think. Clean is clean, for the most part. I would have limited that to tube amp profiles, but BB King went from Fenders to Lab Series, and it still sounded just like him :)

I agree completelly Paults . But i read his Le chic guitar sound on record, was recorded straight to desk SSL or NEVE ( i dont recall) with compression , if i would record i would try that, but for live sound there are so many good clean profiles . And mats posted some really sweet replicas profiles !