Kemper with power vs. no power with powered FRFR

• Wth the release of the powered head I've been hearing people wanting to sell their original Kempers to upgrade to a powered head.
    What is the advantage to using a powered head with a non powered monitor vs. a non powered head and a powed monitor?

Wouldn't they be essentially the same thing?

Thanks

• Generally who goes for the powered versions wants to use a real guitar cab, the rest of us goes for powered monitors/boxes.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Wth the release of the powered head I've been hearing people wanting to sell their original Kempers to upgrade to a powered head.
    What is the advantage to using a powered head with a non powered monitor vs. a non powered head and a powed monitor?

Wouldn't they be essentially the same thing?

Thanks

Essentially they're the same, yes.
    The powered head is more aimed at the guitar cab guys who like to plug a head into a cab and are done.

Of course you can also plug the powered head into a passive monitor.
    To me, going active FRFR, the non powered head is still the best option.

EDIT:
    Aw I'm a late responder today...

• The power versions can still do everything that the non-powered versions can. So it you want to go FRFR and bypass the built in power you can, but you can of course drive a guitar cab or any passive PA cab. It comes down to if having that option is worth $700 to you. (it is after all, a mono 600-watt solid state power amp). For half that price I could buy a Carvin power amp, which could drive any type of cab and has alternative uses as well. You could also buy a fender mustang head for $300, and use the effects return jack to bypass all the modeling. Then you'd have a backup guitar amp as well. Any PA rack style power amp or the Mustang would also give you the ability to run stereo through two cabs or a single cab that can be used in stereo. and of course mono as well. So to me, it's a waste of money

To me, the only benefit in purchasing the power amp version is that it's nice and compact, as opposed to having to lug around another piece of gear to power your speakers-should you decide to play through a standard guitar cab. (which I don't since I go the FRFR route) For many, spending an extra $300-$400 is worth it, if it means they don't have to transport additional gear. I have a used Crate power block that I can use to power a standard guitar cab. It's quite small, like a foot wide, half a foot deep and three inches high, so both it and and the kemper fit neatly on top of a standard 2x12 or 4x12 guitar cab. Only cost $140 used. I just bough this as a backup, though and so I have the option of using my cab with the Kemper. It also serves as a back-up guitar amp. However, I prefer my QSC k10.

• It's probably easier to carry around the powered head and 1/2 passive cabs (an active cab is definitely heavy).
    OTOH, an active cab is almost always the best solution soundwise (unless you use a very good external amp): the poweramp in an active cab is optimized for that specific coupling and - other elements being equal - it usually sounds better.

It has also to be considered that we don't necessarily look for the linearity when it comes to guitar modellers' sound (not that I agree on this...), so a bad coupling could even be "musical" for someone, depending on the non-linearities and on what the person is after.

• Thanks for the great responses. I understand the convenience of one complete package (i.e. powered head)

I think having a powered monitor would suite my needs just fine. Would love going stereo but I'm getting ahead of myself.

RC

• Thanks for the great responses. I understand the convenience of one complete package (i.e. powered head)

I think having a powered monitor would suite my needs just fine. Would love going stereo but I'm getting ahead of myself.

RC

Look up the Yamaha DXR 10 series.
    Outstanding value for the money and much recommended here on the forum several times.

• Look up the Yamaha DXR 10 series.
    Outstanding value for the money and much recommended here on the forum several times.

Thanks.
    They seem like they could do the job well for the price. I'll have to see what else everybody is using to compare.

First though I need to find a Kemper to try out!

RC

• The first time I used the Kemper I was blown away by the fantastic sound , but then playing with the rest of the Band ( I use a RCF active Speacker ) i missed the presure that a 4x12 box produces. It makes no difference on the recording, but it is just more fun. Offcourse you can get a good Poweramp for less money. But on the other hand, part of the Kemper magic is that you dont have to carry around so much stuff. It´s the more elegant solution to have a power amp within the Kemper.

Nichts Rockt Wie Rock !

• Reading all of this , I think I might go for hand made power amp .
    My friend , Jean Pierre Le Roux is amp wizard , and he will build one nice TUBE POWER AMP HEAD for me .
    I am sure tubes will add even more reality to Kemper , and I am ready to accept tone coloration coming from tubes .
    So it might not be flat 100% .

Do you guys think this is good idea?
    It comes up to tube vs transistor powered amp head .

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)

My friend , Jean Pierre Le Roux is amp wizard , and he will build one nice TUBE POWER AMP HEAD for me .
    I am sure tubes will add even more reality to Kemper , and I am ready to accept tone coloration coming from tubes .

On the other hand, it might color the sound too much. I used a tube amp in the beginning with my Axe II. Didn't work at all for me due to severe coloring. Too edgy, too much compression...especially when playing loud. To me, a solid state amp worked much better. Got my mids and dynamics back 8)

• Don't overlook the RCF ART310A. You can find these in the $325 range, and they offer good price/performance. Here's a review of the Yamaha by a guy who has the RCF also. He's a DJ, not a guitarist, but his comments are that the mids are sweeter with the RCF, though the very low frequencies are better with the Yammy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwJYPo9bMo

For the RCF, you might check with Mike Pyle: [email protected]
    I've gotten great service and great pricing from him on these.

Edit: actually, check with Mike for pricing on anything you decide upon.

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

The tubes are already "captured" in the profiles, I don´t know how its gonna sound, but my personal opinion is that the Kemper is not build to be used with a tube power amp. I am soure that a tube power head amp will work just fine with an axe fx or any other genuine modeler. I think it does not get better than 100% flat.

Nichts Rockt Wie Rock !

• There's nothing inherently bad in terms of linearity when it comes to tube amps. HI-Fi amps (combos, pres, poweramps) have been made with a tube technology since decades, and there are excellent ones out there. OTOH, guitar amps are designed so that they enter their non-linear zone very early, to give us that so much sought-after warmth and distortion.

So, it all depends on how the amp is designed. Your friend may design and build a very linear tube poweramp, which will give you just a bit more warmth and could be a nice option sound-wise. I'd not certainly go for a guitar-like poweramp.
    OTOH, the weight and the caring a tube amp needs may fight against the main advantages of the KPA. But if you are willing to buy new tubes now and the, if you you know how to take care of the amp, and are willing to carry its weight around, then there should be no problem in using one, as long as it is not going to alter or mask the KPA's nuances.

• Thanks to the guys giving me clever advice power vs solid amp , and thanks to Viabcroce , I like your answer :thumbup:
    Will speak with JP , and if I decide to go that route , Forum will be informed !

There's nothing inherently bad in terms of linearity when it comes to tube amps. HI-Fi amps (combos, pres, poweramps) have been made with a tube technology since decades, and there are excellent ones out there. OTOH, guitar amps are designed so that they enter their non-linear zone very early, to give us that so much sought-after warmth and distortion.

So, it all depends on how the amp is designed. Your friend may design and build a very linear tube poweramp, which will give you just a bit more warmth and could be a nice option sound-wise. I'd not certainly go for a guitar-like poweramp.
    OTOH, the weight and the caring a tube amp needs may fight against the main advantages of the KPA. But if you are willing to buy new tubes now and the, if you you know how to take care of the amp, and are willing to carry its weight around, then there should be no problem in using one, as long as it is not going to alter or mask the KPA's nuances.

1988 Branko Radulovic Hand Made Strat in Macedonia (SFRJ)

2006 Steve Vai vwh moded with SS frets and Sustainac 2006 (Japan)

2008 Fender YJM , moded (USA)

2010 Tom Andersons Drop Top 2010 (made in California)

2017 Charvel GG sig Caramelised Ash (USA)

2022 Gibson ES 335 2011 Custom Shop Cherry of course ( Memphis)