Master Volume Question

• Yesterday in the middle of the Show for 15,000 people, after having changed the preset the sound stopped!
    Tried changing the presets, move the volume pedal 0-127-0-127 ... nothing happened.After take my hand at the Master volume,and yes, everything back to normal.From what I understand.For some reason between preset changes , the Master volume was to zero.But in fact I do not know now what happened!!!!!Can someone help?

Edited once, last by torcuato ().

• The volume issues I've seen mentioned were because MIDI controllers are sending information that was ignored by the Kemper before v1.8

This is not because of a bug, but because the new Kemper features require the user to make sure the MIDI controller is not sending unexpected commands to the configured to send Kemper.

Try the exact same patch change, with the same equipment. Does it do it again?

Is the volume pedal active in both patches in the Kemper?

Check the settings in your MIDI controller.
    Is the volume pedal active in both patches in the controller?

My guess is:
    Your MIDI controller sending a value of "0" for volume at that patch change. If the volume pedal is not active in the controller, or not in the Kemper, moving the pedal would not change the volume.

Touching the knob on the Kemper corrected the problem by overriding the zero volume level MIDI command.

• I have the same problem happen to me occasionally, and I don't think it's related to some obscure command my MIDI controller is sending to the Kemper, because it dosen't seem to happen at a fixed set of conditions, that is, it's pretty much unpredictable.

Also as far as I know my expression control is only assigned to the wah for some rigs, what's this "volume pedal" assignment you guys are talking about? I must confess it's not the first time I read about it here in the forums, but couldn't find anything about it in the latest manuals.

• It is on Page 54 of KPA Manual EN Reference 1 7.pdf :

Volume Pedal condition is set for each rig in the Kemper.

If Volume is set to anything other than OFF, the Kemper rig will change volume if MIDI CC#7 is sent to it.

*** If you do not use a volume pedal in a rig that you use when playing gigs, I suggest setting this to OFF - the volume pedal will have no effect.

*** If you use a volume pedal in any of your live rigs, look at the manual for your MIDI controller.

You need to know what your MIDI controller sends with each MIDI program change.
    Does it send the volume pedal position?
    Does it only send volume pedal position when you move the pedal?
    Is volume pedal assigned for each MIDI progam in the pedal, or is it assigned Globally for All programs?

If it is assigned to one or all programs, but no pedal is connected - does it send CC7 value "O", or "128", or nothing?

And, the same for MIDI CC#1. Wah, Pitch, etc.

• Thanks guys i get it today after read your hints.
    I store the Rigs one for one.
    And today the concert was perfect.
    Sorry my english i am from brazil!!!!

• During a recording of a track in which I searched for a suitable guitar line (jamming while recording really) I encountered a sudden volume drop. I happen to have recorded it and I can assure everyone that I didn't have a midi footcontroller connected to my Kemper. I informed support about this (and some other issues), but since then it has never occurred again - so I haven't sent in my unit for repair so far. But the volume drop is real and it occurred in total 3 time in about 200 hours of playing through the Kemper. In a live situation this is of course a very bad thing to happen. However, because I use the Kemper as of now usually for recording it's not a big issue for me.

• Thanks guys i get it today after read your hints.
    I store the Rigs one for one.
    And today the concert was perfect.
    Sorry my english i am from brazil!!!!

How about that, I'm from Brazil too (São Paulo) :)

I went through the setup of my MIDI controller (Lexicon MPX-R1) and noticed two of the FX switches (that I never use BTW) were assigned to CC#7, and changed them. Next step will be changing Volume Control in the rig menu to "off", one by one - I wish the default when they introduced this parameter was "off", fortunately there aren't too many rigs that I need to modify for now.

Thanks for your help guys

:thumbup:

• I'm just wondering, if my MIDI controller didn't send CC#7 to the KPA and it still had the volume drop, isn't that a bug? Like I've mentioned, the buttons assigned to CC#7 are ones I'm 100% were not stepped on at any time because I have to change the pedalboard mode in order to do that, that is, it requires 2 taps for that message to be sent. Also all the times it happened I didn't touch the footswitch. Weird.

• Nope, just the MIDI footswitch directly into the KPA, that's it. I was thinking about it, if it was an encoder glitch it might have moved a few dB up or down, but the thing is, whenever it happens the master out is set to ZERO. I'll see what happens with all the rigs with volume control set to off when I have a chance.

• Interesting.. I used my Kemper at rehearsals for the 1st time last night..

I connected it via the FX loop in my Messa dual rec, set my volume using the master volume on the Kemper to an acceptable ear splitting volume to drown out the drummer and off we went..

I suddenly got a volume drop about 5 mins in... no midi foot controller connected either.

I thought it might have been vibrations that caused the volume control to move as the kemper was ontop of my amp and cab., but I didn't have much chance to play about to find the cause, I just cranked it up again and off I went. It didn't happen again.

I'm sure it also happened when I was testing this set-up at home, but again as I was playing about with settings at the time I can't be sure. One to keep an eye on I feel.