Input in the red...but it sounds so good.

• Hi guys,

I'm running a Fryer Treble Booster in front of the Kemper trying to get the Brian May vibe (I've tried the built in treble booster but it doesn't clean up and sound like Brian when you wind back the volume knob on the guitar).
    Because it throws an extra 31db at the front end, the red input light is constantly on...but it sounds so good.
    I'm worried that if I adjust the clean and dist sens so that it doesn't go in the red, I won't hit the amp section hard like it's intended use.
    There isn't any input distortion that I can hear but just wanted to know that I'm not doing anything that will damage the unit.
    I only use the Treble Booster while playing in the Queen tribute band I play in.

Cheers,

Rick

• There is a lot of threads about clean sense versus distorded sense. My understanding is that the clean sense let you get the strongest signal as possible from your guitar without getting digital clipping at the A/D converter (red light) and the distorded sense act more like in the analog reality when you want to send a hotter signal to the input of an amp for example. So maybe you could try to lower the clean sense then crank a little bit the distorded sense to get the same result without clipping? But if you don't hear any clipping as you say just let it as it is! :D

You could also try to put your treeble booster in the loop in pre position.

Just my 2 cents!

• Thanks, I just got the Kemper and am making a gameplan for mapping out my sounds. I turned off the stack section and could hear it just clipping a little so I backed it off at the clean sense. Will play with the distortion sense for a bit now.
    The Treble Booster needs to be the absolute first thing in the chain or it doesn't do the chimey clean thing when you turn down the volume on the guitar.

• the last dude telling me he liked his input red was doing some crazy industrial-noize-shit ;)

But to each his won ;) Anyway, if I'd be you I'dturn down the input volume till the led is green and increase the output-volume. Especially if you are doing recording tasks as this can cause clipping. And that's something you don't want with a great unit like the kemper. Cause as great as it is but it's not a tape machine ;)

• to be honest, I get the same results: when I play I see the input led going to red, but not some rare time, instead I would say often. nevertheless my cleans are so cristal clear with absolutely no distortion whatsoever...........

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• probably becuase of the soft clipper which prevents the signal to distort as long as you're not in the deep red zone. I just think why party with the devil when there's enough headroom. ;) and wrong gain staging is a pretty common thing these days. But like I said if you're happy with your sound, that's what matters.

• Yeah, whatever sounds good :)

However, you can also try backing down until the red light disappears and compensate by adding some serious boost/gain before the amp inside the Kemper.

But, it might also be the overloading of the Kemper's input you like.