DXR10: Hiss or no Hiss that is the question?

• I love my DXR10's and the small hissing I can hear is not a deal breaker for me at all, but I recently read this on a TGP thread:

"I get no hiss from my DXRs, it may be your ac receptacle or other grounding issues.Mine are dead quiet."

Which made me think: Is this guy right? Is it possible to avoid those hissing? If it is not, I will forget about it, but if it's possible to do better to manage this why not... Your thoughts, experiences?

• I'm one of the posters in that thread, but been wondering if the perception of the hiss isn't related to loss of hearing on high frequencies. We know there are a lot of guitarists out there who have varying degrees of hearing loss especially on higher frequencies, which is exactly where the infamous hiss resides. In my case I suspect my hearing on high frequencies has gotten better in time instead of worse, which can be really annoying some times. While someone in that thread said he can only hear it from 3ft away, I can hear it from across the room (15ft+), I'm not kidding. My QSC K10, on the other hand, is quiet except for the fan noise, which also gets quite loud at low volumes. However the DXR10 sounds so much better than it I'm willing to make my peace with the hiss, although as soon as the warranty expires I'm cracking it open and will see if it can be modded with quieter opamps or something, that is, if there are any in there (the K10 IIRC has just one or two dedicated chips inside).

• No hiss, I can hear the fan in a quiet room but no hiss. I have the main output of my KPA connected to the DXR10's XLR input with the MIC/LINE switch set to LINE and the input level at noon (0 dB). When I was demoing a DXR at a store the salesman set the switch MIC and I could hear hiss then so I always use the LINE setting.

• I recently demo'd the DXR10 and the QSCk10 at a music store and both had some hiss. I put my ear right up to the speaker to make sure of each monitor to make sure it was coming from the speaker. The DXR10 had just a little more and the volume setting made no difference. I have no idea how the monitors switches were set. I think every switch was in an off position

The Kemper Profiling Amp is the best musical invention since the Electric Guitar and the Marshall Amp .

• Just found out how to kill the noise in the DXR10, here it is:

1. Use the bottom channel (1/4" TRS), and lower the gain in the DXR10 and raise it in the KPA;

2. Lower the gain in the top channel of the DXR10 and keep the mode switch in the "line" position instead of "mic"

That's it, my DXR10 is dead quiet now, too bad its internal mic preamp is a bit noisy it seems, but for amplifying the KPA it's now as good as it gets.

• Is there a difference is sound quality using the 1/4 balance instead of the xlr connection?

The Kemper Profiling Amp is the best musical invention since the Electric Guitar and the Marshall Amp .

• Is there a difference is sound quality using the 1/4 balance instead of the xlr connection?

No, there's no difference.
    Now I understand why I didn't perceive the hiss in my unit as loud. It is because. I have the volume on my DXR not louder than middle position of the pot.

• I tried your suggestion but it made no difference at all... ;( I already used the line setting but with XLR, I changed for TRS and no luck...

• I have a set of DXR 10's. I did similar to what Deny described to attenuate the initial hiss. Now it is pure bliss without the hiss. :thumbup: I am lucky enough to have an Employer that requires us to have hearing checks annually so I am doing very well in all frequencies and could definitely hear the hiss right off that Deny spoke of.

Loud enough you ask??? :huh: 8o ;)

I play some pretty hard and loud Southern Rock... :thumbup: Just picture all the stacks of amps Hatchet, Skynyrd, Mountain and Blackfoot used to throw up on stage and then turned them on 11... These little things amazed the hell out of me. My other band dudes and other musicians, have commented on the new found clarity and punch of my sound and even said wow you seem louder tonight.. :D But I think it is cutting through now. I could get by with one but I wanted 2 first when I saw the deal on them I got, and second I was planning for the bigger stages with one behind and maybe the other up front kind of setup. We will check that out soon.

Buy the 10's you will love them....the 12's did nothing for the extra money IMHO. The QSC's although great for FOH did not match the tonality of the DXR's IMHO and about 14 other musicians agreed they all ended up in the pro audio room looking and listening in awe with a bunch of smiles and whispers at my little Killer Epic Magic Polyergic Extramundane Roborant wonderbox.... 8)

• A DXR10 with the volume at 12 will probably melt your ears! I coudnt imagine using it that loud while standing anywhere nearby!!!

You're damned if you do and damned if you don't

• I received my DXR 10 today.
    After an initial test I have to say that it truly sounds excellent and can go to insane volume levels! ;)
    However I also have to agree that the hiss is there and I tend to find it so loud that it gets annoying. If I turn the DXR half way up it's not acceptable IMO.
    I also tried the recommendations given here (TRS, Line, ...) without satisfactory result. HOWEVER, if I unplug the TRS cable from the monitor out of my Kemper the DRX is dead quiet! Also if I use it to amplify other sources (tried it e.g. with my iPod) it has just the slightest hint of hiss which is totally acceptable.
    So the problem for me somehow seems to lie in the combination KPA/DXR.
    Any idea what I could do to improve this as I really would like to keep the DXR for its great sound?

Cheers,
    Markus

• Are you sure it's not the normal hiss associated with high gain rigs? I keep the level knob in the DXR10 around 10 o'clock and adjust the volume using the KPA master volume knob; for cleans and dirt rigs with the noise gate properly adjusted the hiss is almost unnoticeable.

• No, it has nothing to do with the selected rig at all! I can even turn the monitor volume on the KPA all the way down and it's still there. It's just there as soon as KPA and DXR are connected.
    You are right, if I put the DXR volume on around 10 o'clock I can somewhat live with the hiss and it will probably serve my volume needs well for most occasions. Still I think it shouldn't hiss that much when the volume is turned half way up or more. Especially if it's only when the KPA is connected and e.g. playing back music through it is completely hiss free! ?(