Kemper II

• Actually, I would like to see the Kemper II more metal (gain options) friendly just like the new Randall Satan/Thrasher as shown in this video. (Bass / Mid /Treble gain knobs instead of one overall gain, for those not checking out video)
    Maybe I am just not good enough with tweaking yet but I get the impression that the higher the gain goes in a profile, the more it looses its unique tone and starts to sound like other high gain profiles (regardless of amp profiled). If anyone has any tips on how to dial in and shape metal tones it would be appreciated. For me, it seems that 7 strings are hardest to dial in as the Kemper really accents on the thick low B string for me.

Edit: I'm not looking for a specific tone, just the tools to help me find some tones. I got a grasp of the whole certain cabs complement certain speakers/spaces logic, I'm just looking at more options that I could have missed out on.

I have absolutely no trouble with a 7 string, the KPA does a beautiful job of it. Probably better than most (non-modern) amps do.
    A low B fundamental is around 61Hz IIRC. That means that if you've tried to, say, compensate for smaller speakers by cranking the 80Hz band on an EQ, you'd get a louder sounding low B.
    High output pickups are also problematic. They sound good at home and can compliment your playing due to compression, but they sound 'narrow' compared to lower output ones so again, players tend to overcompensate by cranking frequencies they shouldn't.

The KPA actually already has something similar to the Satan's gain control - that's your definition knob. If i'm hearing correctly, it sets the frequency around which the signal starts distorting.
    I'm guessing the Satan's circuit is similar - it changes the EQ of your guitar pre-gain and compensates for the increase afterwards. Or perhaps they're onto something more interesting.
    You can do something close, or identical, yourself with a metal EQ stomp pre-stack.

"But dignity is difficult to maintain
    stamina requires constant upkeep
    repetition is boring
    and you pay for grace."

• I would like to see two mic inputs with phantom power, for doing profiles with two mics without needing any external equipment. Maybe they could include this in a PRO version to cover the extra costs.

• Hi everyone, my first post here. Loving the Kemper, I have been wanting to like modelling for so long (had one of the first Pods in Australia!). The Kemper is the first thing so far that sounds and feels right to me. My feature requests:-

96K processing and SPIDF output with word clock - Cmon, it's 2013, no one records at 44.1 anymore!

EH POG 2 model. Or at least be able to adjust the fade in and out of the pitch effect to make POG like organ sounds, in fact why wait for Kemper 2 for this ;).

Tape Delay effect

Combo or powered cab version with FRFR (Coaxial?) speaker perfectly matched to the Kemper.

Floor version.

• ... I get the impression that the higher the gain goes in a profile, the more it looses its unique tone and starts to sound like other high gain profiles (regardless of amp profiled)...

This sounds characteristic of most over-distorted signals, a mistake I have continuously made while trying to programme MFXes or use stompboxes. The signal loses definition and after a point, it would be easy to confuse one amp for another by virtue of that loss of clarity in a highly distorted signal.

One bit of advise people would give me is that less is more as far as gain is concerned. A lot of the low end and chug that you get in a metal song is not the guitar, but the bass, which occupies the low end. As guitarists, we need to focus on giving the high end to the low end, in a manner of speaking ^^

• Would love to see the dedicated pedal with phantom pedal power, dual stereo out for FOH and Amp/Cabinet and usb -> computer connectivity. Next purchase will be the Kemper Rack without the Class-D mono amp anyway.

The only question is when.

Probably when my Ultra dies or the dedicated KPA pedal will hit the market.

Ending the affiliation with the Ractal Idiocity company would also be a blessing. But till now this argument has failed me dizzing the Ultra and MFC.

So no hurries mates

• There is already dual stereo out ..if you're using full range anyway

• I have absolutely no trouble with a 7 string, the KPA does a beautiful job of it. Probably better than most (non-modern) amps do.
    A low B fundamental is around 61Hz IIRC. That means that if you've tried to, say, compensate for smaller speakers by cranking the 80Hz band on an EQ, you'd get a louder sounding low B.
    High output pickups are also problematic. They sound good at home and can compliment your playing due to compression, but they sound 'narrow' compared to lower output ones so again, players tend to overcompensate by cranking frequencies they shouldn't.

The KPA actually already has something similar to the Satan's gain control - that's your definition knob. If i'm hearing correctly, it sets the frequency around which the signal starts distorting.
    I'm guessing the Satan's circuit is similar - it changes the EQ of your guitar pre-gain and compensates for the increase afterwards. Or perhaps they're onto something more interesting.
    You can do something close, or identical, yourself with a metal EQ stomp pre-stack.

I've got multiple setups for different sounds so frequency response is not really an issue. I think it may be my 7 string (or the strings themselves) as my other guitars seem fine, even my seventh string on my 8 sounds better. I am getting closer now that the honeymoon is over and I am able to get what I need out of the tones. My main concern was that I wanted to know what a/b/c on the Kemper would equal x/y/z on the Satan. I have played with a few things, though there is no one magic shape shifter on the Kemper. I think it will be a combination of filters and eq boosts/cuts that will start getting things dialled in for the evasive sound. Going to make sure to start off with less gain as well so that the frequencies that are already present do not get washed away and can be worked with.

I have absolutely no trouble with a 7 string, the KPA does a beautiful job of it. Probably better than most (non-modern) amps do.

This sounds characteristic of most over-distorted signals, a mistake I have continuously made while trying to programme MFXes or use stompboxes. The signal loses definition and after a point, it would be easy to confuse one amp for another by virtue of that loss of clarity in a highly distorted signal.

One bit of advise people would give me is that less is more as far as gain is concerned. A lot of the low end and chug that you get in a metal song is not the guitar, but the bass, which occupies the low end. As guitarists, we need to focus on giving the high end to the low end, in a manner of speaking ^^

I suppose it depends on the type of metal, though it is possible to have a lot of low end in the guitars and not get intrusive with the bass and kick parts. I like how a punchy bass in a high gain amp carries the guitar with a bit more oomph for certain styles. The important thing is to have it dialed in properly or use filters to keep a decent compromise of having that bass and not being intrusive with the rest of the mix.

Another thing that I have been thinking for some time is to have the Kemper recognize folders. Not sure if this is a hardware or software limitation that would make this work now or have to wait for the K2. Basically having folders that you can navigate and load what is in those folders would make it possible to quickly organize rigs into genres or sets or keep whatever mix of rigs you need together. It is easier than renaming rigs to organize order, would be like performance mode that you could quickly set up on the computer and also make navigation through rigs faster.

I would use an organization similar to this to show you an example:

Metal1 Metal2 Metal3 Set1 Set2 Set3 Blues Rock1 Country Cleans extra1 extra2

With navigation usage on the Dpad, all my rig categories are now 12 or less clicks away and I can stuff all my 5150/6505 rigs in metal1 and have them all in the same place without having to rename them all. The extra1 and 2 is just an example of a way to keep rigs that are not used but may come in handy from cluttering the popular used ones. I also find myself keeping extra clean and gritty profiles that I do not really need just because it is easier to have them randomly show up when switching through rigs than to have to go through and find them. So in a way, with a folder system keeping the different styles quick and handy, it keeps the clutter down as well.

Of course you could name the folders anything you would like on your computer, this is just an example. I know the counterargument is there that there is some people who only use a couple of rigs or have the few they need already organized in perf mode or renamed with the software renamers available, and believe me I envy you sometimes though this folder idea makes things organized from the get-go. Which I would like to think would be a great selling feature for the Kemper to keep new users playing and less time tweaking and organizing.

• Sadly not.. you can only do mono monitoring with Cab sim Off

• How about you just add a specific prefix to categorise amps. For example, say "M Randall" "M Mesa", "M Marshall" for metal amps, "C Fender", "C Vox", "C XYZ" for clean and so on. Then you could just do an alphabetic sort and pull up the amps you need for the situation 8o

• I have thought of that and a few other ideas as well. It would work for grouping as well as other things, the problem is that you have to mess around renaming initially as well as every time you add profiles. Sure there are programs to speed things up like renaming or deleting profiles, but when I have to write down which ones I am going to keep and have to go work with the PC, it just as easy to manually delete them as I have to go through them anyway.

The main advantage of folder recognition is initial use and set up is quicker for categorizing for new users. Not to mention that when adding new profiles you already have the USB plugged into the PC anyway, so it would be much faster to just throw it into its corresponding folder than have to rename it before placing it on the USB.

Don't get me wrong, I am appreciative of the work that goes into these apps and techniques for sorting and renaming. I just see that a huge percentage of new users go through the profile frenzie and end up needing some housecleaning of sorts. I know that I would like to try my soundside profiles again and being able to delete the "soundside" folder right on the Kemper after finding the few chosen tones is a lot easier than having to do a backup and restore (without the profiles) instead of manually deleting or using a program on the PC.

• +1 to floor version of KPA for live

(simple setup is a key for small gigs... that's why I mostly use Mustang Floor rather than KPA)

• Sadly not.. you can only do mono monitoring with Cab sim Off

Sadly not.. you can only do mono monitoring with Cab sim Off

Brunno,

Sorry for the late respons. Been on holiday and travelling and enjoying the wonderfull weather here in Europe.

That info is crucial to my opinion. Maybe CK can insert this function in a new update because I think 2 stereo out with and without an Cab sim is crucial. Otherwise will have to wait another stretch or buy me a second hand Ractal II ;(

Greetings

• What's the mater, when you play guitar on stage or at external area,

the sound you programmed at home, don't ring as well as.

Cause, you are playing on the amp of your friend and cause the place is not the same.

It would have the kemper to be able to scan the room where you use to play and be able to scan the room where you plan to play, and make a room correction,and the same thing for the correction amp.

All these performs would be due to a internal condenser pick up, it would be able to scan amp and room.