Posts by aspiemattie

Hi all,

Let me clarify my question.

Unlike the Helix which offers a dual amp path, the Kemper has only one amp sound you can run at a time.

I would like to be able to blend a tiny bit of my guitar’s clean signal into my Kemper’s high gain rig I have already programmed.

Is there a way to do this within the Kemper?

A

Does anyone remember the Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive pedal? It allowed you to blend a certain amount of your guitar’s clean tone with the pedal’s main overdrive options.

Could I run a Sparkle Drive into the Kemper’s FX Loop in order to do this?

Could I somehow use the Exotic X-Blender pedal to do this?

I’m looking for the easiest and cheapest way to combine my guitar’s clean signal with my profile’s distortion tone, to get a little extra clarity when playing complex chords and during certain solo passages.

Thanks to anyone who might have an answer for me!

Ok, I realized that I could select between Upper Effects Loop and Lower Effects loop.

Initially, I had hooked up 2 pedals into the effects loops correctly.

I placed the first loop in the slot “X” and selected Effects Loop in the menu using the scroll knob. It defaulted to “Lower Loop”.

But when I selected the “Mod” button—this is where I wanted to place my 2nd pedal that was in an effects loop—and scrolled down to Effects Loop, I got this on the display “The Effects Loop Is Already In Use.”

I didn’t realize all I had to do was to click on the button above “Lower Effects Loop” and it would switch to the Upper Effects Loop.

Problem Solved!

:)

What I did when I first got my stage, I downloaded the manual, opened it up on my computer, and went page by page through the manual interacting with the stage what was being shown in the manual.
    Did that make sense?

Yes.

I actually have been spending much time on that.

Just about all my questions have now been answered by the manual and tutorials.

Often times if I have a question about any gear, I immediately go to a forum to ask experienced users. I should have read the manual before doing so, and jumping to false conclusions.

I think I was just so overwhelmed with the difference in layout and terminology between the Helix and Kemper, that I “just wanted a quick answer.”

Thanks for the input everyone.

I didn't get that from the replies. I was just trying to help. I don't think you're an idiot.

I didn’t mean to come across to anyone as passive-aggressive, sorry!

I very literally felt it was stupid of me to assume the fault was with the Kemper, when I was the one who didn’t realize I could add the right-click function to my Mac.

Dimebag famously used a Randall solid state amp and then his signature Krank ( if I remember correctly).

I assume you have looked on RM for either of these amps? Otherwise you need that slightly artificial, clinical gainey sound - you need a Helix....JOKE...

Perhaps start with a 5150 if you can't find anything as they tend to emphasis those upper mids? Have a play with power amp sag to make sure its razor tight etc..

Yes, I looked for the Randall, but it wasn’t on Rig Exchange. I didn’t look for the Keanu, because I really only care for his high gain sound on Cowboys From Hell.

I had a Helix, and no offense to anyone who loves theirs, but to me it did sound too artificial when playing ALONE. In a mix it was fine with other instruments.

I’ve tried to get the sound I want with a 5150 III and other high gain amps, but wasn’t successful. I think Dimebag’s tone was mainly due to using a solid state amp.

What I’m having difficulty implementing is how to program the Kemper to get Holdsworth style delays when the parameters listed between the two units are different.

For example, here’s a Yamaha UD Stomp Holdsworth patch with the parameters named, and values:

Delay Line Number:

1. Wav- Sine , Phase- Normal

Group- 1 > 1, Tap- 100%,

Time: 29.7, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

2. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 2>2, Tap- 100%,

Time: 40, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

3. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 3>3, Tap- 100%,

Time: 96, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 5

4. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Time: 110, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L5

Etc, all the way through delays 5-8

(I don’t HAVE TO have 8 serial delays; I could use 4, and then simply use a Kemper Reverb at the end of the chain to get extra ambience)

I get the obvious things in the Yamaha UD Stomp parameters— time is in milliseconds, Level is “mix” I assume, Pan L means panned Left, L10 means panned 100% left.

But why are there TWO levels, “Level” and “Effect Level” In the Yamaha UD Stomp? One must mean percent mix, but why a 2nd level control? (The Yamaha Manual doesn’t explain it)

Group 1>1, 2>2, 3>3 apparently means each delay feeds into the next in the UD Stomp.

There is no “serial” option in Kemper’s Quad Delay, so I assume I would instead have to use 2 effects blocks of Two Tap Serial Delay.

Apparently the Yamaha gives you an option to choose the type of Wave pattern, Sine, Triangular, Saw, etc.

But how would you do this with the Kemper in regard to creating a Holdsworth Style preset? You can’t pick a type of Wave in the Two Tap Serial Delay, so would you have to have one or more Chorus Blocks before or after the Two Tap Serial Delay?

What about Phase? There’s no phase option in the Kemper.

What about individual panning levels in the Kemper if you are programming the Two Tap Serial

Delay, and you are simply playing through a SINGLE guitar cabinet?

The Yamaha pedal allows you to program percentages of Left and Right output and play through a single guitar cab in mono, yet the SOUND you hear DOES come across as “dimensional” having a “Spatial Perception” of thickened modulated delays with a reverb like effect.

However, apparently you CAN’T program the Two Tap Serial Delay to Pan Left and Right through a mono out to a single cabinet?

(My powered monitors are cheap, and sound like garbage, so I opt to just use my guitar cabinet)

Any ideas HOW I could recreate the Yamaha UD Stomp settings using the Kemper signal routing?

I’d greatly appreciate any help!

What I’m having difficulty implementing is how to program the Kemper to get Holdsworth style delays when the parameters listed between the two units are different.

For example, here’s a Yamaha UD Stomp Holdsworth patch with the parameters named, and values:

Delay Line Number:

1. Wav- Sine , Phase- Normal

Group- 1 > 1, Tap- 100%,

Time: 29.7, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

2. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 2>2, Tap- 100%,

Time: 40, Level 10, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 10

3. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Group- 3>3, Tap- 100%,

Time: 96, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L 5

4. Wav- Sine, Phase- Normal

Time: 110, Level 4, Effect Level 8.5

Pan- L5

Etc, all the way through delays 5-8

I get the obvious things— time is in milliseconds, Level is “mix” I assume, Pan L means panned Left, L10 means panned 100% left.

But why are there TWO levels, “Level” and “Effect Level”? One must mean percent mix, but why a 2nd level control? (The Yamaha Manual doesn’t explain it)

Group 1> 1, 2>2, 3>3 apparently means each delay feeds into the next.

How can you do this with the Quad Delay. Can you even do it?

Apparently the Yamaha gives you an option to choose the type of Wave pattern, Sine, Triangular, Saw, etc.

But how would you choose this in the Kemper WITHIN its quad delay settings? You can’t.

What about Phase? There’s no phase option in the Kemper.

What about individual panning levels in the Kemper if you are programming the Quad Delay, and you are simply playing through a SINGLE guitar cabinet? The Yamaha pedal allows you to program this, and play through a single guitar cab in mono, yet the SOUND you hear DOES come across as “dimensional” having a “Spatial Perception” of thickened modulated delays with a reverb like effect. However, apparently you CAN’T program the Quad Delay to Pan Left and Right through a mono out to a single cabinet?

Any ideas HOW I could recreate these settings in the Kemper?

It took me I’d say about 25 hours to really get my head around everything.

It all DOES make sense eventually!

But I’d have to say some things are just not intuitive, and could be made MUCH easier to do.

****EDITED - MY FAULT. I DIDN’T REALIZE THE PROBLEM WAS MY LACK OF UNDERSTANDING OF MY NEW MACBOOK!!!!*****

For example:

Let’s say you want to create a brand new folder in Rig manager to store certain things— “Marshall Amps,” or “IRs,” or “Metal Amp Profiles.”

You know what would be inarguably the best route for this?

On Rig Manager, when you have the top bar of the window which says “Tools,” “Help,” etc, there should be an option which says “New”.

You should be able to click on “New,” and have a drop down list which shows “Folder.”

You click on that, BOOM, create a new folder, and label it.

Then, you open the newly created empty Folder, and click and drag files from your computer into that new folder.

I mean, how can the Kemper folks NOT do something like that?

NOT Kemper’s Fault, I was just ignorant of MacBook Functionality!!!!

That said, the tones are worth it!

I don’t understand how to audition new profiles that I download into Rig manager.

Therefore, I have been downloading MANY profiles at a time and loading them ALL into my Kemper Stage, then end up deleting most of them, because they don’t sound very good.

Is there a way I can listen to what the profiles sound like BEFORE loading them all into my actual profiler?

If so, please tell me how.

Thank you sincerely,

Matt