Posts by G String

you cannot drag a nested structure of folders onto rig manager, that will not work. you need to do this folder by folder. as for a search on windows and drag the result, we need to check what happens there.
    thanks, gs

I'm using XP, I've downloaded the file 10 times and it's corrupt, doesn't work...so RM doesn't work with XP?

the files are fine, maybe they get corrupted somewhere but that is beyond our reach.
    rig manager does not work with windows XP and, as it turns out, we will not be able to change that in the future.
    thanks for your understanding, gs

One more piece of info that is good to know:
    If you sync'ed your Profiler with Rig Exchange, the whole set of rigs is stored in the same place mentioned above. BUT BE AWARE that the filename of this database consists of your Profiler's serial number! So even if it's tempting for some to share things they shouldn't share with others (which I hope nobody will do!), you don't want to share the serial number of your Profiler for sure. It can cost you the access to the nice seat in Kemper Theatre (and more).

thank you for bringing this up. i was just about to relay something similar. as much as i appreciate all the insight, let me point out one thing or two: it is not advisable for Joe Sixpack or Plane Jane to tamper with the database. we had this at the very beginning of time with text editors and Kemper Rigs on as USB stick and as we all might remember: it ended up in tears (for Average Joe).

so please, just don't open up pandora's box.
    gs

I bet KPA HQ thought it would be quieter later on... We never sleep when new KPA releases are concerned...
    Gentleman, let's form an orderly queue and perhaps we won't break the server
    I promise not to try and connect for the next 15 mins...

ha. we should have released it tomorrow when the olympics start ;) - btw: if you uncheck "use rig exchange" in the preferences you can at least work for now ...
    gs

can you use it offline? I'm not too worried about connecting to the rig manager mainly just profiles on my kemper and pc

yes, of course. rig manager needs to download like 4000 rigs from rig exchange and as it turns out, right now, this is so much more connections and traffic than we were able to test internally. it downloads each rigs only once and stores them away on your drive for later use.
    if the traffic keeps being like it is right now, uncheck "use rig exchange" in preferences

gs

This is correct Ingolf, but TBH I don't care much about support.
    The main problem here is that upgrading is not even supported to W7 (not to mention 8 ), which means I should erase my installation and install from scratch (along with all the related hassle).
    I've just seen there seems to be the possibility to upgrade to Vista then to 7 keeping settings and files. I think I'll try this route...

... hell, Rig Manager could be the first app that pushes me to upgrade... XP is an exceptional piece of software, has been working flawlessly here for more than 13 years over three generations of hardware... I've been extremely satisfied with it, know it like my pockets (as we say in Italian), have optimized its performance to perfection and will be really sad to dismiss it.

snif

we would have loved to support XP but as a consequence even the initial version of Rig Manager would have been build on partially old technology and newer things would not easily be possible. you will be surprised what you gain in return when parting.
    gs

Loving it so far.

One thing I['d like to see on the rig manager to help with maintaining what's on the machine and what's off is is a simply checkbox next to each rig in the list and in the inspector to say "On Kemper", unchecked it offloads (saves) the rig to the local rig library if it doesn't exist there yet in it's latest form (or if it's a rig exchange rig offers a window asking if you want to upload it), checked it loads it onto the Kemper.

This would also help us with seeing what's already on there when looking at the local library and rig exchange.

per, if you select the location "all rigs" the list view adds a column indicating where a rig is located.
    gs

Do i need to connect the kemper with a lan cable?

It's a MySQL server parameter "max_user_connections" and we have obviously max'ed it out already, hehe

Again (from above):
    I wonder if the Rig Exchange Import could be handled differently. Like downloading a tarball that contains all rigs and which is generated on the server every 1 hour? This should reduce the server load considerably.

at least we are going down in stye :thumbup: - we need to analyze this tomorrow. the design was made with many users in mind. at the same time, this is why a public beta test equals a soft launch.
    gs

I dragged a map with some subfolders and it only seems to take the first subfolder and import those. The subsequent subfolders are not imported. Can someone verify this?
    Also how do you populate the rig exchange folder? Mine is stuck ar requesting list.

as for the sub folders, Rig Manager will not import nested folders as a structure of folders. the Rig Exchange location populates automatically, if Rig Manager can communicate with our servers.
    hth, gs

create a folder, then remove the new folder text and click somewhere else creates an error.

DONT DO THAT ;) - and thanks for reporting.

please send report to the address indicated in the "public beta" chapter of the manual. sorry, don't want to be vague but posting the email address here will just add to the SPAM we already get ...
    thanks, gs

londonjeepster -

RigManager is a librarian and hub, not an editor. it starts getting interesting where the display size and the missing computer keyboard of the Profiler get in the way. RigManager is about huge lists, quick sorting, overview and combining loads of locations where you might have stored rigs. It especially is about your own rigs. the better you can meta tag them, the fast you can find them in the Profiler without extra tools.

Everybody who saw it so far and worked with it made great comment about how it changes the way you organize and control 4000+ rigs.
    gs

RigManager is designed to be cross platform. It was designed with Windows and MacOS in mind. The Windows version will be out first, Mac users can run it in bootcamp or parallels among others. We know, this is not idea but since _one_ side had to be finished first, we believe this is the better approach.
    For those who believe that they can program something like RigManager over a rainy weekend, you might want to check it out before making assumptions ...
    best, gs

Thanks for the feedback. I understand your reasons although it's (obviously) inconvenient for us users. I don't even know if it helps in a legal way if users embed copyright content from external sources instead of actually uploading it to Kemper's server.

you might be right. the whole thing is such a can of worms that we just try to minimize the chance. we are aware that this solution is not the most convenient one for our users.
    gs